Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: I want the old stock market back..........

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    29

    I want the old stock market back..........

    Remember back when your stocks would rise or fall just a few points daily according to the dividends, earnings reports, mergers, etc. ?

    I am weary of the Dow losing or gaining 100 -300 points in a single day because of "news". ....

    I suspect that high speed day traders dealing millions of shares a day, are helping this new "roller coaster" way of investing thrive. Our markets being hooked in with a "global economy" now, hasnt helped matters....

    Come on WS, get back to the fundamentals of investing please, so I can stop taking Tums........ jmo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by greg79f150 View Post
    Remember back when your stocks would rise or fall just a few points daily according to the dividends, earnings reports, mergers, etc. ?

    I am weary of the Dow losing or gaining 100 -300 points in a single day because of "news". ....

    I suspect that high speed day traders dealing millions of shares a day, are helping this new "roller coaster" way of investing thrive. Our markets being hooked in with a "global economy" now, hasnt helped matters....

    Come on WS, get back to the fundamentals of investing please, so I can stop taking Tums........ jmo
    Anywhere from 60-75% of stock trades today have nothing at all to do with underlying fundamental valuations. They are the result of automatic trading. Another 15-20% of trades are attributable to cash management (pension funds, hedge funds, etc...moving assets), then you have brokerage houses rounding out their own accounts. NONE of these are value based trades.

    The reality is that at this point, only about 2-3% of stock trades in US markets have anything at all to do with the underlying valuation of the company whose stock is being traded.

    When your stock market is no longer trading based on anything approaching value, it has become a casino, not a financial market.

    Get out.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    29
    I got out of stocks a long time ago but still have a 401K at my place of employment. It is strictly mutual funds and watching them ride the WS coaster is just crazy. ....
    Last edited by greg79f150; 02-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by greg79f150 View Post
    I got out of stocks a long time ago but still have a 401K at my place of employment. It is strictly mutual funds and watching them ride the WS coaster is just crazy. ....
    All you can really do in that case is accept the fact that the market is not rational and ignore it. Check back every few months (or when you hear the market is tanking on the news).

    Realistically as long as the majority of trading has nothing at all to do with fundamental valuation, we will continue to see nonsensical swings and high volatility.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2
    Why U want old share market back but I am a little bit disagree with you because In the new share market trades all the things are too easily handled....all the things are computerizes where more accuracy is provided to the shareholders......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    55
    ...all we need is the whizzes, whistles, gongs and quick quips ...we'd have the Mad Money show... "it's not a game" - Jon Stewart

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    7,822
    Daewoo, what are your sentiments on STETs, Securities Turnover Excise Taxes?
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

    “War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

    War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    Daewoo, what are your sentiments on STETs, Securities Turnover Excise Taxes?
    I think we already have sales taxes and we should just remove exemptions for financial instruments (including stocks). Give an exemption for stocks held longer than 1 year.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    I think we already have sales taxes and we should just remove exemptions for financial instruments (including stocks). Give an exemption for stocks held longer than 1 year.
    I'd have to be a sales tax paid by the seller and not buyer if you wanted that exemption to work. It's interstate so you'd have to do a national tax on it.

    I'd be ok with just a flat 2-5% tax for buyers, no exceptions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    I'd have to be a sales tax paid by the seller and not buyer if you wanted that exemption to work. It's interstate so you'd have to do a national tax on it.

    I'd be ok with just a flat 2-5% tax for buyers, no exceptions.
    I can live with it either way. I just think it would be easier to pass if we just said "Ok, this is just like any other transaction and there is a sales tax".

    Sales tax is pretty much always paid by the buyer...it is just collected and remitted by the seller. In this case, the easiest way would probably be to have the broker collect and remit.

    If we wanted to exempt instruments held for over a year, they can just claim it as a refundable credit on their income taxes.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Quote Originally Posted by daewoo View Post
    I can live with it either way. I just think it would be easier to pass if we just said "Ok, this is just like any other transaction and there is a sales tax".
    Yeah but then people start throwing out BS about it how it kills small business investment in our country. Because small business benefits so much when people trade Apple stock back and forth.


    If we wanted to exempt instruments held for over a year, they can just claim it as a refundable credit on their income taxes.
    Screw that. I'd just have the flat sales tax. The only rational for doing the exemption would be to put it in line with companies with few stock holders so it is more like a partnership and thus selling your "share" of the company really is a change in ownership. The only thing I'd exempt would be the initial purchase of a stock (assuming it wasn't bought back stock from under two years) and purchases by the company (buying back stock). I'm sure I could think of a few more exemptions. I'm mean I guess

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    Yeah but then people start throwing out BS about it how it kills small business investment in our country. Because small business benefits so much when people trade Apple stock back and forth.
    Yep. Politicians LOVE to toss out the "small business" line whenever somebody suggests doing something that has NOTHING to do with small business, but will cost Goldman $2.




    Screw that. I'd just have the flat sales tax. The only rational for doing the exemption would be to put it in line with companies with few stock holders so it is more like a partnership and thus selling your "share" of the company really is a change in ownership. The only thing I'd exempt would be the initial purchase of a stock (assuming it wasn't bought back stock from under two years) and purchases by the company (buying back stock). I'm sure I could think of a few more exemptions. I'm mean I guess
    I can go with that. Like I said, I am flexible. My primary motivation in supporting this is to end the stock casino and sucker lounge so we can get back to a stock market.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •