Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's this Marine Insignia?

What's this Marine Insignia?

I ran across this story and hoped to place it in a military subject area, but there doesn't appear to be one, so I'm posting it here.

In this Afghanistan service photo there appears a Marine unit insignia just below the American flag: can some service person explain why it isn't an SS insignia?

U.S. Marines Posing With Symbol Resembling NAzi Logo 'Not Acceptable'
    He Lived in the Perfect Midfield Time

Scout Sniper
    Ain't life funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Orn View Post
    Scout Sniper
    Well, that's very nice (good guys), but I would think they might be a little more history conscience in their logos.

Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Well, that's very nice (good guys), but I would think they might be a little more history conscience in their logos.
    So when something looks like something else, it's automatically the same?

What about the cross? Are we going to ban all crosses because they look like a swastika?

What about a do-rag? Are we going to ban all do-rags because they're so gangsta?

Americans of Oriental and German decent were forced into internment camps because they looked like "the enemy". Right?
    Ain't life funny...

So when something looks like something else, it's automatically the same?

What about the cross? Are we going to ban all crosses because they look like a swastika?

What about a do-rag? Are we going to ban all do-rags because they're so gangsta?

Americans of Oriental and German decent were forced into internment camps because they looked like "the enemy". Right?

It's an SS insignia dude: it's highly inappropriate. I don't give a damn who they are, and for American soliders on the public payroll to be in a foreign country with guns in their hands; and using them to kill people, (I don't give a damn who they are either) sporting an SS insignia like that is a radically stupid idea, and now the decission maker for that plagiarism will take one on the jaw for it; administered by said employers and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy in my opinion.

It's an SS insignia dude: it's highly inappropriate. I don't give a damn who they are, and for American soliders on the public payroll to be in a foreign country with guns in their hands; and using them to kill people, (I don't give a damn who they are either) sporting an SS insignia like that is a radically stupid idea, and now the decission maker for that plagiarism will take one on the jaw for it; administered by said employers and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy in my opinion.
    You're offended too easily. What about the United States Marine Corps Reconnaissance Battalions using the dreaded Death's Head? Nobody whined and bitched about that. People need to come to grips with all this "I-am-so-offended" mentality. If not we'll all be paying for butthurt cream - like forever.
    Ain't life funny...

You're offended too easily. What about the United States Marine Corps Reconnaissance Battalions using the dreaded Death's Head? Nobody whined and bitched about that. People need to come to grips with all this "I-am-so-offended" mentality. If not we'll all be paying for butthurt cream - like forever.
    The "Death's Head" was a stolen image. The SS insignia uses Runic 'S's and that "logo" belonged to Himmler's SS. I'm not offended by it at all; I just think that's supremely stupid becvause as we can now see from news stories, people are getting very offended by it and rightfully so in my view.

These units are made of very smart people and it's only reasonable to expect that they be a bit more creative.

The Marines are claiming total innocence, "I had noooo idea that Nazis used that..."

I think they are shamming it and they knew damned well what it meant.

The Marines have had a very troubled and sullied reputation of late in Afghanistan.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    The Marines are claiming total innocence, "I had noooo idea that Nazis used that..."

I think they are shamming it and they knew damned well what it meant.

The Marines have had a very troubled and sullied reputation of late in Afghanistan.
    Yes they are. Here is an image of a Waffen SS officer: Waffen SS Insignia The Waffen SS were the 'armed SS soldiers'. The SS was a secret police force up until just before the eastern pusht (armed push) into the east (Poland).

The death's head was used in many European masonic degrees as an image of mortality, particulalry in France going way back. The SS insignias and uniforms were dreamed up out of whole cloth by Himmler and his lackies. So in my view, this Marine unit should be ashamed, and shamed into changing their logo. The United States does not want to be represented like that.

The "Death's Head" was a stolen image. The SS insignia uses Runic 'S's and that "logo" belonged to Himmler's SS. I'm not offended by it at all; I just think that's supremely stupid becvause as we can now see from news stories, people are getting very offended by it and rightfully so in my view.

These units are made of very smart people and it's only reasonable to expect that they be a bit more creative.
    I know preachers, teachers, community leaders, etc that have tatoos of all kinds. Some "favor" the swastika, some have the oh so fearful SS (Soul Searchers), some have the "rebel" flag and on and on.
    Grow thicker skin and "live and let live". If not, soon you will be classified in the ranks of the oppressors and having liberals calling you a Holy Roller for crying out loud.
    Get over it and move on.
    Ain't life funny...

Moral bankruptcy is amply demonstrated by posters more concerned with what symbol soldiers are posing in front of than with putting a stop to wars themselves.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

~ Gandhi

Futhark symbol (letter) for "s" = └┐ <-- (best I could do on a BB board)

This story is over a year old and was handled already, but because it's an election year, those marines have to suffer another round of BS. Oops, there's another acronym... Maybe Panetta and his ilk will come in here and censor us for using an acronym for Britney Spears or the Boy Scouts, Black Sabbath (the band), or Bart Simpson? I ought to be ashamed!

And lets not forget KISS (the band)! Where the hell was Weinstein and Panetta when that was made public? Smoking a J and chillin'?

Like I said - let it go. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Ain't life funny...

Sowilo, the great golden sow circling the Earth, scattering energy and warmth as she travels through the heavens.

However, at the time of Cold Solstice she is preceded by Elhaz, symbol of the reindeer with golden antlers pursed by a hunter. Do not look at the sacred reindeer but speed her on her way, for if she falls ... the Earth ceases.

Sowilo is followed by the one-handed one, Tewaz, justice, courage, guardian.

Sowilo is the ending of the second aett. Teiwaz is the beginning of the last, the third aett.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

...and that's a wrap folks.
    Ain't life funny...

Futhark symbol (letter) for "s" = └┐ <-- (best I could do on a BB board)

This story is over a year old and was handled already, but because it's an election year, those marines have to suffer another round of BS. Oops, there's another acronym... Maybe Panetta and his ilk will come in here and censor us for using an acronym for Britney Spears or the Boy Scouts, Black Sabbath (the band), or Bart Simpson? I ought to be ashamed!

And lets not forget KISS (the band)! Where the hell was Weinstein and Panetta when that was made public? Smoking a J and chillin'?

Like I said - let it go. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Show us the story from a year ago please.