Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 132

Thread: Global warming will save us all

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893

    Global warming will save us all


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,718
    If that were to save us we would be incredibly lucky.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Youre right we are are incredibly lucky for unwittingly emitting millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere and preventing a new ice age

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Youre right we are are incredibly lucky for unwittingly emitting millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere and preventing a new ice age
    Save us from what...the natural variation in the earth's climate that all life on earth has lived through for the last ~2.2 billion years?

    Any time you disturb a natural balance, there are consequences.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Save us from what...the natural variation in the earth's climate that all life on earth has lived through for the last ~2.2 billion years?

    Any time you disturb a natural balance, there are consequences.
    Natural?
    In this instance the consequences are fortuitous for the human race.
    Only an idiot would believe that another ice age would be anything but a catastrophe..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Natural?
    In this instance the consequences are fortuitous for the human race.
    Only an idiot would believe that another ice age would be anything but a catastrophe..
    Yes...natural. Do you need me to define that word for you?

    Preventing an ice age may be fortuitous, but only an idiot would believe that it was the only consequence of AGW.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Yes...natural. Do you need me to define that word for you?

    Preventing an ice age may be fortuitous, but only an idiot would believe that it was the only consequence of AGW.
    Why wouldnt AGW NOT be a ' natural' phenomenon...if it were caused by termite hills would you consider it unnatural? So perhaps you had better define that word for me.
    Yes only an idiot would believe that the only consequence of AGW would be the prevention of another ice age...only a XXXXX would think I asserted this

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Why wouldnt AGW NOT be a ' natural' phenomenon...if it were caused by termite hills would you consider it unnatural? So perhaps you had better define that word for me.
    The 'natural variation in the earths climate' that I was speaking about is the ice age. You would agree that an ice age is a natural phenomenon I hope? I did not say that AGW was natural or unnatural...although I will now state that AGW is certainly not a natural phenomenon. You're a big boy, you can figure it out from there.

    Yes only an idiot would believe that the only consequence of AGW would be the prevention of another ice age...only a XXXXX would think I asserted this
    Good thing then...you're not an idiot...congrats.

    If I am understanding the general premise of your thinking, you are saying that AGW might prevent an ice age, and this is a benefit for humans. Is that correct?

    The title of this thread is: global warming will save us all

    I must ask...save us all from what precisely?
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    The 'natural variation in the earths climate' that I was speaking about is the ice age. You would agree that an ice age is a natural phenomenon I hope? I did not say that AGW was natural or unnatural...although I will now state that AGW is certainly not a natural phenomenon. You're a big boy, you can figure it out from there.


    Good thing then...you're not an idiot...congrats.

    If I am understanding the general premise of your thinking, you are saying that AGW might prevent an ice age, and this is a benefit for humans. Is that correct?

    The title of this thread is: global warming will save us all

    I must ask...save us all from what precisely?
    AGW is a natural phenomenon.its the result of certain species doing what comes naturally to them... hence the termites if that didnt go over...

    Global warming may save us from an ice age in the future...ice ages tend to be a real drag

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,414
    I wouldn't put too much hope in no ice age given that global climate change is not man made, and this freak out is more the result of being aware of variation than anything else.
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I wouldn't put too much hope in no ice age given that global climate change is not man made, and this freak out is more the result of being aware of variation than anything else.
    It's willfully ignorant to think that humans could pump trillions of tons of known greenhouse gasses and pollutants into the atmosphere and have no effect on it.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    It's willfully ignorant to think that humans could pump trillions of tons of known greenhouse gasses and pollutants into the atmosphere and have no effect on it.
    It's naive to think that CO2 is a pollutant, that it's interaction with radiation is mono-polar, or that it hasn't saturated it's spectra into the atmosphere now and for the past five-hundred million years.
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    AGW is a natural phenomenon.its the result of certain species doing what comes naturally to them... hence the termites if that didnt go over...

    Global warming may save us from an ice age in the future...ice ages tend to be a real drag
    If Agw was something our species did naturally, we would have been doing it for ~200,000 years.

    And yes, I'm sure an ice age would suck. However, so will rising sea levels, destruction of our oceans, increasing intensity and frequency of extreme weather, failing crops, famine, potable water shortages, increased disease...etc.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    It's naive to think that CO2 is a pollutant, that it's interaction with radiation is mono-polar, or that it hasn't saturated it's spectra into the atmosphere now and for the past five-hundred million years.
    Notice I said "known greenhouse gasses and pollutants". CO2 is just part of the problem, not the entire problem.

    However, do you deny that CO2 is a greenhouse gas?
    How about methane and water vapor?
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •