Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brainwashing Children is Child Abuse

Brainwashing Children is Child Abuse

I found this interesting. It supports my theory that an irrational religious belief is hard wired into children through brainwashing. Only the more intelligent children are able to resist the childhood brainwashing that parents inflict on their kids. I'm sure I have no right to call this my theory and I am also sure there have probably been studies that already support it. Maybe someone can dig this up?

Why Atheists Are More Intelligent Than the Religious | Psychology Today

I recently had the chance to attend a Catholic church sponsored weekend camp type thing where 1st or 2nd year high school kids, probably about 20 or 30 of them, get together in a spooky closed down school built in the teens. Here they do various activities, games, play dodge ball in the gym and what not. Everything seemed fine and it was really fun.

Then the prayer time. They take you five at a time, turn off all the lights, and all sit in a circle with candles creating a kind of seance atmosphere. This is very serious and you one by one have to talk about how Jesus has made a difference in your life and read poetry or Bible passages, of course reading very monotonously to parallel the mood in the room. The kids were so overwhelmed and you could tell they were genuinely moved by the experience - and this was exactly what the scenario was designed to do. Make them feel "Jesus" through psychologically creating a of state of mind that makes these kids emotionally vulnerable.

This is the kind of thing we do to our children. Not necessarily this extreme, but telling a 6 year the (s)he will go to hell for not having faith in Christ is going to have an impact and is equivalent to the kind of thing the church designs for the kids at their Jesus retreat. Kids this young will believe just about anything. Most of what they are duped into believing is retained into adulthood. Does no one have a problem with this?

STOP RELIGIOUS BRAINWASHING on CHILDREN | Facebook
    Brainwashing: Children and Religion Todd’s Hammer
    Religion's Real Child Abuse - Richard Dawkins - RichardDawkins.net

That bit about the overinfer agency and false positives is pretty interesting.

I guess if one is stupid one needs to be paranoid to compensate.

[QUOTE=Databed;445550]I recently had the chance to attend a Catholic church sponsored weekend camp type thing where 1st or 2nd year high school kids, probably about 20 or 30 of them, get together in a spooky closed down school built in the teens. Here they do various activities, games, play dodge ball in the gym and what not. Everything seemed fine and it was really fun.

Then the prayer time. They take you five at a time, turn off all the lights, and all sit in a circle with candles creating a kind of seance atmosphere. This is very serious and you one by one have to talk about how Jesus has made a difference in your life and read poetry or Bible passages, of course reading very monotonously to parallel the mood in the room. The kids were so overwhelmed and you could tell they were genuinely moved by the experience - and this was exactly what the scenario was designed to do. Make them feel "Jesus" through psychologically creating a of state of mind that makes these kids emotionally vulnerable.

This is the kind of thing we do to our children. Not necessarily this extreme, but telling a 6 year the (s)he will go to hell for not having faith in Christ is going to have an impact and is equivalent to the kind of thing the church designs for the kids at their Jesus retreat. Kids this young will believe just about anything. Most of what they are duped into believing is retained into adulthood. Does no one have a problem with this?

[QUOTE]

ROFLMAO!

So teaching kids to believe in God and to do good is child abuse. That's funny.

I would assume you are an atheist that is rabidly anti-Christian. LOL!

....and not a word about the so called religion of "peace" the muslims. You seem not to have a problem with terrorists. LOL!
    "If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you're not a racist.....
    ....you'll have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot."

Teaching kids to believe a superman in a red coat visits every year and leaves them gifts must be child abuse too then, especially if you make them perform the ritual of leaving milk and cookies

ROFLMAO!

So teaching kids to believe in God and to do good is child abuse. That's funny.

I would assume you are an atheist that is rabidly anti-Christian. LOL!

....and not a word about the so called religion of "peace" the muslims. You seem not to have a problem with terrorists. LOL!
    I'm only rabidly against something so obviously untrue as that of mainstream religion. My argument is that the only reason it is mainstream is that we continually perpetuate it by indoctrinating our kids with it. Do you honestly believe you would have found whatever religion you prescribe to if you had not been persuaded to from an early age? Why didn't you pick Islam? The only difference in Christianity and Islam in my mind is that Islam happens to be the religion of poor states that have been oppressed by empire states. If Christianity was the religion in the Middle East and Northern Africa and the west was Islamic, you would probably see suicide bombing Christians. I expect I will likely get another ROFLMAO out of you for saying this, but it is probably true.

The only difference between Islam and Christianity is demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Teaching kids to believe a superman in a red coat visits every year and leaves them gifts must be child abuse too then, especially if you make them perform the ritual of leaving milk and cookies
    About the same thing, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Databed View Post
    The only difference between Islam and Christianity is demographic.
    You don't go into much detail as to why you believe that, so I can only assume it's because of the way things are now within the countries where those religions thrive. But, and if, we look at each believer, we see that wealth does little to effect that's person's religion. Many poor and oppressed individuals are Christians, and many rich and liberated people are Muslims.

There are also Muslims that have lived their entire lives in the USA and still feel as though they are exploited. Religion in and of itself is what binds the hands of mankind and is the culprit for the advancement oppression.

In my opinion, teaching a child to happily strap on an IED and XXXX himself up is the mother of all brainwashing religions.
    Ain't life funny...

The link was quite interesting.
    It purports a ' theory' which is just conjecture then concludes with ' if' then ' it may be reasonable to assume'...ho hum
    Then it uses a bar graph to ' show that there appears to be a difference of about 6 points between the intelligence of the very religious to athiests...well ok it depends on the sample .....BUT......the bar graph they use has the bar showing the lower intelect sample being less than a quarter of the size of the higher intellect sample thus insulting the intelligence of everyone reading the article .
    Altogether a complete waste of time that shows a tenous claim in an exaggerated fashion.
    I may show that religious men have larger penises by taking a sample of religious men in the Congo and compare them with athiest men in Japan.
    I can enhance that with appropriate( or maybe inappropriate ) bar graphs.
    That'll swell the ranks of my local Sunday school

It also actually infers that being stupid was a evolutionary plus because of the accompanying paranoia lol and that the widespread cult of personality which was just about ALL the communist society doctines of the 20th century was an evolutionary step up because they were ' athiest'. How do these turkeys get their grants?
    Last edited by gansao; 02-04-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    I may show that religious men have larger penises by taking a sample of religious men in the Congo and compare them with athiest men in Japan.
    I can enhance that with appropriate( or maybe inappropriate ) bar graphs.
    That'll swell the ranks of my local Sunday school
    (snicker....snicker)
    Ain't life funny...

Smile

I think the main thing is to keep religious indoctrination out of our schools. It's separation of church and state.

In our schools it's important to teach the science of evolution. Creationism, which is nothing but superstition, has no place in our schools. We need to teach our children science.

However, everyone must have freedom of religion, or freedom from religion. You can go to any church/synagogue/mosque you want in your free time, but don't try to impose your religion on children in our schools!

Some parents will undoubtably indoctrinate their children and brainwash them with religion. Of course, devout Christians don't have a problem with that as long as the children are being indoctrinated with Christianity. But as somebody pointed out it's not much different whether parents are indoctrinating their children with Christianity or Islam. The end result of Religious fanaticism creates a cycle of religious violence (regardless of whether it is Christian/Jewish/or Muslim) .

I am an atheist. However, I do not have a problem with people who actually practice the teachings of Jesus Christ. I like Jesus Christ, at least the way he is presented in the New Testament. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find a Christian who actually practices the teachings of Jesus Christ. However, it is been my experience that moderate Christians are more likely to be closer to Jesus Christ then the extremist bigots. (I read the Bible from the first page to the last.)

Part of this problem may actually come from the fact that many Christians are actually ignorant as to what Jesus taught. The Christian religion when it is organized into various churches seems to be more of a business.

It was found in a recent poll of Americans that atheists know more about the Bible than born-again Christians. That does not surprise me.
    Choosing between the Democrats and the Republicans is like choosing between AIDS and cancer.

OK lets keep' religious indoctination' out of schools and while we are at it lets keep out AGW doctrine and ' gay' history. Lets not replace one dogma with another.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    Part of this problem may actually come from the fact that many Christians are actually ignorant as to what Jesus taught.
    Fact? Please post a link to that study.

Any religion, even in the name of Christ, can and has operated for years with the intent to make money and gain public approval and power with no intention of ever spreading the Gospel. Most of these organizations are exposed and prosecuted by Christians. Too bad Muslims won't do the same for those who corrupt Islam in the name of Allah.
    Ain't life funny...

I found this interesting. It supports my theory that an irrational religious belief is hard wired into children through brainwashing. Only the more intelligent children are able to resist the childhood brainwashing that parents inflict on their kids. I'm sure I have no right to call this my theory and I am also sure there have probably been studies that already support it.
    Atheism has many, if not all, the same characteristics as religion does. Here is how the word Ďreligioní is defined by dictionary.com;

1]A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2]a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3]the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4]the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5]the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
    Atheism has all that. It sees the nature and purpose of the universe as products of naturalism/evolution. The devotional and ritual observances, moral codes, etc. are the study of philosophical science, the constant futility of searching for "abiogenesis" and calling it science, conducts of human affairs involving big government, and a worship of the environment. And of course, to eventually erase religion from society.

From your link;

It may therefore be reasonable to conclude that atheism may not be part of the universal human nature, and widespread practice of atheism may have been a recent product of Communism in the 20th century. So belief in higher powers is evolutionarily familiar and natural, and atheism is evolutionarily novel. The Hypothesis would therefore predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to be atheist than less intelligent individuals.
    The fact that communism never works wouldnít indicate that atheism has the market cornered on intelligence. I read ďthe hypothesisĒ and didnít find itís intelligence prediction convincing.

Implying to a 13 year old in a science class that all of reality is the result of purposeless, happenstance processes can also have a huge impact. It could fit in perfectly with his desire to go ahead and knock up the cute girl sitting in the next row after class today. He knows his parents would prefer that he didnít do that, but why worry about them? No need to honor thy father and mother as an atheist, is there? Statistics/census reports show the U.S. to be increasing in atheism over the past several decades. As the U.S. national debt has also been increasing. Wouldnít an increase in intelligence indicate better money management, not worse?

I'm only rabidly against something so obviously untrue as that of mainstream religion. My argument is that the only reason it is mainstream is that we continually perpetuate it by indoctrinating our kids with it.
    But itís not done publicly. Iím against something so obviously untrue as naturalistic origins. I think the only reason atheism is shown to be increasing in the U.S. is because we continually PUBLICLY indoctrinate our kids with it in science classes.

Do you honestly believe you would have found whatever religion you prescribe to if you had not been persuaded to from an early age?
    Do you believe atheism would be increasing in the U.S. without its promotion from the mainstream scientific community?

Why didn't you pick Islam? The only difference in Christianity and Islam in my mind is that Islam happens to be the religion of poor states that have been oppressed by empire states. If Christianity was the religion in the Middle East and Northern Africa and the west was Islamic, you would probably see suicide bombing Christians. I expect I will likely get another ROFLMAO out of you for saying this, but it is probably true.
    I donít see much difference between Islam and atheism. The communist history of atheism is much more similar to the dictatorships of Islam than it is to liberty/capitalism. There are many logical reasons to believe Christianity over Islam.
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    IIt was found in a recent poll of Americans that atheists know more about the Bible than born-again Christians. That does not surprise me.
    "Know more"? Who made that judgement? (welcome, by the way)
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?