Thread: Speech

Speech

I have a problem with this picture

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Z79XYAGdQB...17999690-7.jpg

It is not the signs of the WBC. My problem is the cordoned off area that they are in. That is a disturbing site, that we should now have to cordon off protest or speech.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time one of the Republican presidential candidates speak all I hear is the sound of the marching boots of the Brown shirts.

"Saying I can't get married because it violates your religion is like me saying you can't eat donuts because it violates my diet!" -------anonymous

What exactly is the context of the presented picture. What are the anti-homosexual protestors actually protesting?

It is entirely possible the cordoned off area was supplied for their own protection. If they are picketing a pro-homosexual event then it is reasonable to believe that the police cordons are to supply them with a territory they cannot be assaulted within by those that dislike their message.
    If one cannot have an argument without resorting to hyperbole, name calling and emotional rhetoric, then they have lost the argument from their first post.

Although I am against the legalization of homosexual marriage, I as a Christian am appalled at these protestors. For someone to be as presumptuous to hold a sign saying, "God H8S Fags," shows how naive some people can be. That is so sad.

Edit: I'm against homosexual marriage morally, but as to its legalization, I am unsure.
    Last edited by Theophilus; 10-24-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    "You will say to me then, 'Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?' On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? -Romans 9:19-21 (NASB)

The issue of homosexual marriage is mute. Marriage should not be defined by the government, instead, suitable contracts binding individuals financially should be drawn up by lawyers or a generic model should be handed out at the post office. Anything more than that is completely outside the realm of government. If you don't think gay marriage is marriage, tell them so, disagree, and don't refer to them as married, but why deny them the ability to call themselves married, or have a financial contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenamnes View Post
    What exactly is the context of the presented picture. What are the anti-homosexual protestors actually protesting?

It is entirely possible the cordoned off area was supplied for their own protection. If they are picketing a pro-homosexual event then it is reasonable to believe that the police cordons are to supply them with a territory they cannot be assaulted within by those that dislike their message.
    Doesn't matter what the context is. They are confined to a box. I find this disturbing.

Every time one of the Republican presidential candidates speak all I hear is the sound of the marching boots of the Brown shirts.

"Saying I can't get married because it violates your religion is like me saying you can't eat donuts because it violates my diet!" -------anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Although I am against the legalization of homosexual marriage, I as a Christian am appalled at these protestors. For someone to be as presumptuous to hold a sign saying, "God H8S Fags," shows how naive some people can be. That is so sad.

Edit: I'm against homosexual marriage morally, but as to its legalization, I am unsure.
    I have no problem with Phelps and his bunch. I support their right to say what they want and hold all the signs they want. I would rather have 1000 Phelps's out there then 1 Michele Bachmann, or Maggie Gallagher

Michele Bachmann and Maggie Gallagher are 1 million times more dangerous then Phelps and his clan.

The former just speaks their minds, the latter translates their beliefs into christonazi laws that I have to live under.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S View Post
    I have no problem with Phelps and his bunch. I support their right to say what they want and hold all the signs they want. I would rather have 1000 Phelps's out there then 1 Michele Bachmann, or Maggie Gallagher

Michele Bachmann and Maggie Gallagher are 1 million times more dangerous then Phelps and his clan.

The former just speaks their minds, the latter translates their beliefs into christonazi laws that I have to live under.
    Most western countries are democracies and you cannot see the connection between public support and laws?!
    Morals are a religious Myth.. - Xcaliber
    How is Evil Immoral? - Xcaliber
    I am right until you prove otherwise - Xcaliber

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Most western countries are democracies and you cannot see the connection between public support and laws?!
    What about the connection between public protest, democracy, and the changing of unjust laws?

I don't think the WBC people were put in a box to restrict free speech in any way, I think they were put in a box for their own safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    I don't think the WBC people were put in a box to restrict free speech in some way, I think they were put in a box for their own safety.
    Thats what I thought.
    That lone homosexual looks predatory.
    Last edited by gansao; 10-31-2011 at 10:44 AM.