Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie remakes?

Question Movie remakes?

The Omega Man was a good action genre reworking of the earlier I Am Legend (Vincent Price) and Seven Nights in Japan was a nice update of Roman Holiday, but are remakes a good thing, and does Hollywood rely on them too much?

The Omega Man

Seven Nights In Japan

The most interesting remake is coming soon. They are remaking escape from the planet of the apes. I saw the previews for it. It looks like, from the previews, Caesar will come into existence as a result of medical science and not as a result of his parents being time travelers from the future.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time one of the Republican presidential candidates speak all I hear is the sound of the marching boots of the Brown shirts.

"Saying I can't get married because it violates your religion is like me saying you can't eat donuts because it violates my diet!" -------anonymous

I'm waiting for the Remake of " Total Recall" staring Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, and Colin Ferrel. It's filming now and I believe due out in 2012.
    "You're too stupid to be saved." -- EasyRider.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
    Epicurus

Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber View Post
    I'm waiting for the Remake of " Total Recall" staring Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, and Colin Ferrel. It's filming now and I believe due out in 2012.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!!! I'm going to go on a bit of a rant on remakes, reboots and sequels in the movie industry.

I will boycott the remake of Total Recall until the day I die.

You see, there are some films that really shouldn't be remade or rebooted - I despise Tim Burton for remaking Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory AND Planet of the Apes. Can you imagine someone remaking Citizen Kane? Total Recall is one of the all time great 80s action flicks and to remake it would be to ruin the new one as well as spoil the old one in the same way Planet of the Apes ruined the magic of the original fanchise. Some old movies should remain old because a certain spark was captured during that time period.

Speaking of Tim Burton, he happens to be so pretentious and remake-heavy that he's remaking one of his OWN FILMS!!! What a XXXX.

Then there are some films that don't need to be remade or rebooted. Most fall into the category - Batman Begins (albeit a good film), Green Lantern, Tangled, Robin Hood, etc. We have no need for a Repunzel reboot! I know your avatar is from Tron Legacy, and it's not a bad movie, but Tron didn't need to have a sequel or a reboot, just faux-nostalgia hipster film makers decided to milk another old and slightly crappy but still cultish movie utter.

Spiderman is in a league of it's own - It's on its 13th reboot, by my count.

The sheer number of sequels in movies and video games is really shocking, these days. There was an article a while back stating that there are 86 movie sequels in development. Probably more now! Why can't film makers come up with new and interesting ideas anymore? I don't hate some sequels, just most of them (Indiana Jones is a 3 movie franchise and always will be - Star Wars is a three movie franchise also). The majority of movies don't need sequels, but the movie industry is constantly dishing them out for some unknown reason. I think people started noticing that generally sequels are bad and unnecessary a while ago.

Someone needs to step up and show Hollywood how movie making is done - the old school way.

So it's nice to see a movie like Inception which is new and interesting which has no need for a sequel. However, for every new and interesting movie idea which comes out, 10 remakes do, 5 of which ruin the original movie, another 8 reboots of something that had no need to be rebooted in the first place, and another 86 sequels.

Mind you, I just got back from watching Kung Fu Panda 2, and it was alright.
    Last edited by Bennedict; 07-29-2011 at 02:08 AM.

There are two types of not coming up with your own ideas style movies that I like - the first of which is when the original could have been good if it wasn't poorly executed. Battlestar Galactica falls here; if you haven't seen the new BSG, its seriously amazing... like, incredible.

The second is when people make a movie or TV adaptation of a book, so like Game of Thrones. That way you can sift through good and bad story ideas and make a TV show or a movie out of the best ones. Game of Thrones is another incredible show that can be forgiven for not being inventive.
    Last edited by Bennedict; 07-30-2011 at 01:07 PM.

What I don't get is the remake of Death at a Funeral. The orginal is not that old, and they did nothing at all to change it up except change the cast. WTF?
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jitobear View Post
    What I don't get is the remake of Death at a Funeral. The orginal is not that old, and they did nothing at all to change it up except change the cast. WTF?
    These verbatim remakes are really killing things for those old enough to have seen the originals. Heston's reciting of the lines from Woodstock is so much more compeling than Smith reciting Sesame Street lines in I am Legend.

We need some originality. Like Dan O' Bannon who wrote Dark Star & Blue Thunder. Are these people dead, or is modern Hollywood just not letting them work anymore?

Blue Thunder

Yes, sadly Dan O'Bannon is dead. He was born the same year I was born (1946) and died in December 2009. I am still kicking but not for long the way my health is going.
    Anyway, "Dark Star" is a classic I watched it by accident in a late late TV screening in the 80s. That fatal dialogue of the astronauts with the bomb is intelligent and funny.
    I recorded it in Betamax format and never bothered to transfer it to VHS so I lost it. But I can't forget the alien ( beach ball) or the song "Benson, Arisona" ... 'you are always on my mind'. And who can forget Pinback (O'Bannon) or Doolittle or the rest of the crew ? I think John Carpenter the director composed "Benson, Arisona"

I am not sure, but I think Dan'O Bannon also wrote the original script for "Alien".
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 10-05-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trey View Post
    are remakes a good thing, and does Hollywood rely on them too much?
    After seeing Real Steel, I am hoping for more remakes if that is the best original idea Hollywood can come up with.

I would rather see another Friday the 13th sequel than watch that garbage.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Showing off as usual

Viva Spain

Watched two excellent movies, both Spanish:

"Biutiful" (not a misspell) and "Talk to her".

Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, “Biutiful” takes place in grimy and crowded parts of Barcelona that are a world away from that city’s tourist attractions. Not the Barcelona of Woody Allen for sure, the only thing they share in common, (if you can call a person a thing) is the wonderful Javier Bardem.

My favourite Almodovar movie was until I watched "Talk to her", "All about my mother".

Alicia the protagonist (although in coma) of "Talk to Her" is a stunningly beautiful ballerina. There is no cruelty in this Almodovar movie as there was so much of it, in his earlier funny movies. He has mellowed with age (who doesn't) and the effect on his movies is a pleasant one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
    if you want to go your grandfather's way, please make sure you are alone in the car, so more people can share in the laughing

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Yes, sadly Dan O'Bannon is dead. He was born the same year I was born (1946) and died in December 2009. I am still kicking but not for long the way my health is going.
    Anyway, "Dark Star" is a classic I watched it by accident in a late late TV screening in the 80s. That fatal dialogue of the astronauts with the bomb is intelligent and funny.
    I recorded it in Betamax format and never bothered to transfer it to VHS so I lost it. But I can't forget the alien ( beach ball) or the song "Benson, Arisona" ... 'you are always on my mind'. And who can forget Pinback (O'Bannon) or Doolittle or the rest of the crew ? I think John Carpenter the director composed "Benson, Arisona"

I am not sure, but I think Dan'O Bannon also wrote the original script for "Alien".
    That's very sad, I honestly didn't know he had passed away. Yes, and the beachball in Dark Star was a very early inspiration for the creature in Alien (in its early just left the person/victim form). The beachball provided early special fx inspiration I recall from a TV documentary I watched.

Hey, I'm open to a remake of Flubber with Meryl Streep, that woman won't turn a paycheck down.

Smile Long live Pinback

Yes, it is sad he passed away, but he kind of lives on in what he created. Most people live and die without making any difference. They live petty lives and die unnoticed but by a few and missed by even less, and that’s that. But persons such as him enrich our lives.

“Dark Star” was intelligent, funny and of course original. “Alien” was a good science-fiction horror story, as many science-fiction stories are, and Ridley Scott made the most of it. His visual style is his trade mark and in “Blade Runner” is the city (the look of the movie) what ‘makes’ the movie a masterpiece.

I think that Meryl Streep ability to transform herself into different characters and convincingly so is admirable. Not just the look alike but also to do the voices, the accents right. But Margaret Thatcher is no favourite of mine so the less I see of her the better so I will give this movie a miss.
    Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-15-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Movie remakes all situation observe and maintaining a best standard so we will remind all best aspects and never ignore any way those provide us a specific direction so we want a best outcomes for a remarkable accomplishment and resources.
    Personal Trainer Overland Park
    Last edited by Danny Crawford; 01-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.
    Danny Crawford