Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knowing your American History

Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.

Knowing your American History

In light of Sarah Palin's horrible case of foot in mouth disease, I thought it might be fun (and perhaps even therapeutic) to start a thread which examines basic American history. Please feel free to post your own facts or trivia on American History.

I'll start with an easy one.

This man rode 300+ miles in April 19th 1775 from just outside Boston to Philadelphia calling the colonists to arms and warning of the advance of British troops. And contrary to Palin's version of history, bells were not struck to warn the British, rather as a way to call the colonists to arms.

Anyone?
    Last edited by snakespit; 06-06-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: sp
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

Samuel Prescott?
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Paul Vedere or something, wasn't it? Dunno, only you USsies focus on those founding fathers that much...

Sinjin: No. Nice try though.

Iuris: The man was not a "founding father" per se, he was a post rider.

Anyone?
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way

Was it Audie Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Was it Audie Murphy?
    Please try to contain yourself to serious answers only.

Long is the way

Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    Please try to contain yourself to serious answers only.
    Sorry. Paul Revere

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Sorry. Paul Revere
    Incorrect.

Long is the way

Israel Bissell

He rode for four days and six hours covering the 345 miles from Watertown, Massachusetts to Philadelphia along the Old Post Road, shouting "To arms, to arms, the war has begun," and carrying a message from General Joseph Palmer which was copied at each of his stops and redistributed:
    "You're too stupid to be saved." -- EasyRider.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
    Epicurus

Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber View Post
    Israel Bissell

He rode for four days and six hours covering the 345 miles from Watertown, Massachusetts to Philadelphia along the Old Post Road, shouting "To arms, to arms, the war has begun," and carrying a message from General Joseph Palmer which was copied at each of his stops and redistributed:
    That's right. We only hear about Paul Revere because of Longfellow's poem, yet most Americans would instantly answer Revere because they have never heard of Bissell.

Long is the way

That's right. We only hear about Paul Revere because of Longfellow's poem, yet most Americans would instantly answer Revere because they have never heard of Bissell.
    Right, there were actually 5 or 6 people who made rides with the same purpose.. but as you said Revere is the one who got famous because of the poem.

Epicurus

Is anti-semitism a likely reason for the favouritism, do you think?
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist” - Helder Camara
    “It is not the will of God for some to have everything and others to have nothing. This cannot be God” - Oscar Romero
    "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder" - Einstein
    "We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him" - CS Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    Jo, if you have something serious to say...by all means join the conversation. I intended this thread as first a way to share interesting bits of American history, and second to demonstrate how incredibly uninformed many Americans are about our own nation's history. In many cases, history has been rewritten by pop culture (ie H. W. Longfellow's poem), and this revisionist history has become the "historical facts" that are taught to our children in schools.

Long is the way

Jo, if you have something serious to say...by all means join the conversation. I intended this thread as first a way to share interesting bits of American history, and second to demonstrate how incredibly uninformed many Americans are about our own nation's history. In many cases, history has been rewritten by pop culture (ie H. W. Longfellow's poem), and this revisionist history has become the "historical facts" that are taught to our children in schools.
    It is sad how So many uninformed people re-write history to fit their pre-conceived notion of what they want history to reflect. One of the worst examples is The history of the founding Fathers and their intentions.
    The Founders were mostly Deists, as in they believed in a higher Power but they did not believe that "God" interfered with the daily lives of humans. This country was founded on the principles of Freedom , including the right to choose which religion if any a person wanted to follow. The Re-written History claims that this is a nation founded on GOD and Religion, which is so far from true it's laughable.

Historical Fact Number 2: Thomas Jefferson was a Deist and not a Christian. He wrote his own version of the new testament because he felt the actual teachings of Jesus were good for man, He did not believe in the Miracles or the supernatural fairy tales of the resurrection. His book was published so there is no denying it is true.

Epicurus

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    Re: Israel Bissell Jewish?
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."