Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: The best car you've ever driven.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Qc
    Posts
    1,275

    The best car you've ever driven.

    i used to own a 1984 BMW 3-series, that was pretty good, but i didnt own it for very long. i currently have a VW Golf, but that wouldnt be the best. i test drove a VW GTI and that was excellent! i also drove a Shelby GT500 convertable throughout BC a few years ago, but i didnt like it.

    so far, the GTI would be the best, but not for long. i'll be buying a 1983 Porsche 944 in a few months, if things go smoothly.

    what's the best car youve ever driven?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    I got to drive a 360 Sprint car one time...that is close to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,021
    I got to drive a Dodge Viper at our local Race track one year. They were using the Viper for the Pace car..And I was Nervous as a Cat in a Dog House. 23 beat up race cars on a 1/4 mile oval running around and I'm in a brand new red Viper. Was fun though....

    Best car I ever owned was a 1979 Camero Berlinetta.
    "You're too stupid to be saved." -- EasyRider.


    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
    Epicurus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Qc
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by snakespit View Post
    I got to drive a 360 Sprint car one time...that is close to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
    sprint cars are so weird. i dont understand how they work! i always assumed that huge spoiler would add too much drag.
    Last edited by Bennedict; 01-17-2011 at 08:39 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennedict View Post
    sprint cars are so weird. i dont understand how they work! i always assumed that huge spoiler would add too much drag.
    The Dirt Track Sprint Cars Are Direct Drive and can go from 0 to 150 mph in just a few seconds. The Spoiler is needed to hold the car down. By direct Drive I mean no transmission, you give it gas it goes... wicked machines for sure.
    "You're too stupid to be saved." -- EasyRider.


    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
    Epicurus

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Qc
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber View Post
    The Dirt Track Sprint Cars Are Direct Drive and can go from 0 to 150 mph in just a few seconds. The Spoiler is needed to hold the car down. By direct Drive I mean no transmission, you give it gas it goes... wicked machines for sure.
    sweet! not really my kind of racing (i like touring cars, F1, GT, and rallying), but sprint cars must be crazy to drive. i also imagine them to be very dangerous; if you hit something theres nothing to protect you, especially at those speeds. at least in F1 cars you have a little bit of protection on the sides.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennedict View Post
    sprint cars are so weird. i dont understand how they work! i always assumed that huge spoiler would add too much drag.
    It's not really a spoiler, it's an upside-down wing. It creates downforce by that pulls the car down into the track. The faster you go, the more downforce you create. The tip plates on the sides of the wing create sideforce that pushes (and pulls) the car to the inside of the track. This is important because it allows better cornering at higher speeds, and helps prevent the car from flipping towards the outside of the track. They also prevent air from "leaking" around the edges of the wing and destroying the downforce that the wing is creating.

    The nose wing helps to keep the front end planted on the track. Both wings do add a bit of drag, but it is really negligible when compared to the horsepower that a 360 sprint car engine produces (700+). A 410 sprint car engine can pump out about 810 horespower when tuned properly! It's about the same HP Nascar stock cars have, in a car that weighs considerably less than a stock car.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

    Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennedict View Post
    sweet! not really my kind of racing (i like touring cars, F1, GT, and rallying), but sprint cars must be crazy to drive. i also imagine them to be very dangerous; if you hit something theres nothing to protect you, especially at those speeds. at least in F1 cars you have a little bit of protection on the sides.
    Yeah I've never driven one myself, But I love to go watch them run on Saturday nights . Anyone who claims race car drivers aren't athletes should try driving a sprint car..lol..

    I like Formula 1 , well pretty much any kind of Racing, but my Fav is still Nascar.
    "You're too stupid to be saved." -- EasyRider.


    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
    Epicurus

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    537
    I sat at the wheel of a '69 Camaro z28 once, but didn't get to drive it. I didn't know the owner, but I had to go check out the car and he popped the hood and started it up and let me sit in it.

    It was perfect... silver with black rallye stripes, 4 on the floor, positrack rear end, torque thrust wheels, and a 502 ci big block crate engine... Sounded like a racecar.

    Someday when I have the money I'm gonna have my own.

    Unfortunately I've never actually driven any 'cool' cars; just a bunch of run-of-the-mill vehicles...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Qc
    Posts
    1,275
    i'm half way to buying a 944... save, save, save!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    49
    Boy are you guys young. My first and only really hot car was a 1965 GTO with a 389ci block, 400ci heads and a 2.8:1 rear end. I could not 137mph on the highway. We didn't have good tires back then and I couldn't keep rubber on it. Also the brakes weren't disc so once you got rolling you couldn't stop. That was a great car. I saw one the other day, like new 58,000 actual miles and the same color as mine, lot of memories there.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Qc
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by signelect View Post
    Boy are you guys young. My first and only really hot car was a 1965 GTO with a 389ci block, 400ci heads and a 2.8:1 rear end. I could not 137mph on the highway. We didn't have good tires back then and I couldn't keep rubber on it. Also the brakes weren't disc so once you got rolling you couldn't stop. That was a great car. I saw one the other day, like new 58,000 actual miles and the same color as mine, lot of memories there.
    i am young, and i like my cars young!

    i love that GTO. the position of the tacho is so crazy!!! it wouldnt work in Canada, though. too much snow. wouldnt be able to see revs.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    537
    I'm young and prefer old cars... Mainly American muscle.

    I like Chevelles, Novas, Impalas, Grand Nationals, 442s, Chargers, Challengers, Dusters, Cudas, Camaros, Trans-Ams, GTOs, Cutlasses, Corvettes, older Monte Carlos, etc. Not a Ford guy, though, although there were some nice Mustangs and the Gran Torino was pretty cool. And the GT40 and newer GT are pretty awesome.

    Nothing against foreign cars, but it's really hard to beat the sound and feel of an American big block.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Qc
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I'm young and prefer old cars... Mainly American muscle.

    I like Chevelles, Novas, Impalas, Grand Nationals, 442s, Chargers, Challengers, Dusters, Cudas, Camaros, Trans-Ams, GTOs, Cutlasses, Corvettes, older Monte Carlos, etc. Not a Ford guy, though, although there were some nice Mustangs and the Gran Torino was pretty cool. And the GT40 and newer GT are pretty awesome.

    Nothing against foreign cars, but it's really hard to beat the sound and feel of an American big block.
    opposite. im all about the fast around a track, so out with most American cars. i dig German cars the most, as you can probably tell. ive owned two and am saving up to buy a third. and if i were to choose an American car to own, it would be a Ford! Escort Cosworth (not American), Sierra Cosworth (not American), RS1500 (not American), Focus RS (IS American!), GT40, new Fiesta... all awesome.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennedict View Post
    opposite. im all about the fast around a track, so out with most American cars. i dig German cars the most, as you can probably tell. ive owned two and am saving up to buy a third. and if i were to choose an American car to own, it would be a Ford! Escort Cosworth (not American), Sierra Cosworth (not American), RS1500 (not American), Focus RS (IS American!), GT40, new Fiesta... all awesome.
    Pshh... You can't beat the price/performance ratio of a Vette. I won't deny that the old muscle cars handled poorly, though. But who needs to be able to turn or stop anyway?

    And when it comes to trucks, there's no comparison. That's the one thing American auto manufacturers can do better than anyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •