Thread: The History of Slavery, a White on Black Crime?

The History of Slavery, a White on Black Crime?

When we think of slavery today, many think of white people enslaving black people. According to Thomas Sowell, an African American scholar, this is a gross oversimplification. Past civilizations all around the world practiced slavery for thousands of years. People of all races practiced slavery. Africans enslaved other Africans and kept more slaves for themselves than they sold to white visitors. So why has slavery so often been portrayed as a white on black crime?

"Clearly, the ability to score ideological points against American society or Western civilization, or induce guilt and thereby extract benefits from the white population today, are greatly enhanced by making enslavement appear to be a peculiarly American, or a peculiarly white, crime...

"Before the modern era, by and large Europeans enslaved other Europeans, Asians enslaved other Asians, Africans enslaved other Africans, and the indigenous peoples of the Western Hemisphere enslaved other indigenous peoples of the Western Hemisphere...

"While slavery was common to all civilizations, as well as to peoples considered uncivilized, only one civilization developed a moral revulsion against it, very late in its history- Western civilization. Today it seems so obvious that, as Abraham Lincoln said, 'If slavery is not wrong, nothing is not wrong.' But the hard fact is that, for thousands of years, slavery was simply not an issue, even among the great religious thinkers or moral philosophers of civilizations around the world...

"Contrary to the 'myths to live by' created by Alex Haley and others, Africans were by no means the innocents portrayed in Roots, baffled as to why white men were coming in and taking their people away in chains. On the contrary, the region of West Africa from which the Kunte Kinte supposedly came was one of the great slave-trading regions of the continent- before, during, and after the white man arrived. It was Africans who enslaved their fellow Africans, selling some of these slaves to Europeans or to Arabs and keeping others for themselves. Even at the peak of the Atlantic slave trade, Africans retained more slaves for themselves than they sent to the Western hemisphere."
    Black rednecks and white liberals - Google Books
    "Indeed, not a word in the constitutional text even arguably supports the Courtís overwrought and novel description of the Second Amendment as 'elevat[ing] above all other interests' 'the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home.' Ante,at 63."
    -Justice Stevens on the Heller ruling

Justice Guest
    [QUOTE=Galileo;419064]When we think of slavery today, many think of white people enslaving black people. According to Thomas Sowell, an African American scholar, this is a gross oversimplification. Past civilizations all around the world practiced slavery for thousands of years. People of all races practiced slavery. Africans enslaved other Africans and kept more slaves for themselves than they sold to white visitors. So why has slavery so often been portrayed as a white on black crime?

"Clearly, the ability to score ideological points against American society or Western civilization, or induce guilt and thereby extract benefits from the white population today, are greatly enhanced by making enslavement appear to be a peculiarly American, or a peculiarly white, crime...

"Before the modern era, by and large Europeans enslaved other Europeans, Asians enslaved other Asians, Africans enslaved other Africans, and the indigenous peoples of the Western Hemisphere enslaved other indigenous peoples of the Western Hemisphere...

"While slavery was common to all civilizations, as well as to peoples considered uncivilized, only one civilization developed a moral revulsion against it, very late in its history- Western civilization. Today it seems so obvious that, as Abraham Lincoln said, 'If slavery is not wrong, nothing is not wrong.' But the hard fact is that, for thousands of years, slavery was simply not an issue, even among the great religious thinkers or moral philosophers of civilizations around the world...

"Contrary to the 'myths to live by' created by Alex Haley and others, Africans were by no means the innocents portrayed in Roots, baffled as to why white men were coming in and taking their people away in chains. On the contrary, the region of West Africa from which the Kunte Kinte supposedly came was one of the great slave-trading regions of the continent- before, during, and after the white man arrived. It was Africans who enslaved their fellow Africans, selling some of these slaves to Europeans or to Arabs and keeping others for themselves. Even at the peak of the Atlantic slave trade, Africans retained more slaves for themselves than they sent to the Western hemisphere."
    QUOTE]

While I concede all these points I will point out, that no matter what anyone else thought, no matter who owns how many of any one else, slavery is still the gravest of wrongs. Nothing can relieve the guilt of a slave owner, no matter how many other people did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    While I concede all these points I will point out, that no matter what anyone else thought, no matter who owns how many of any one else, slavery is still the gravest of wrongs. Nothing can relieve the guilt of a slave owner, no matter how many other people did it.
    Slight problem with that. I don't know any former slave owners that're still alive; bankers and other mortgage and loan groups notwithstanding.

Seriously, how many plantation owners who employed forced cotton pickers are still alive to stand trial for their misdeeds and condemned for their actions? None that I know of. And attacking somebody for what their grandparents did just isn't right.

And then you've got the issue of high ranking slaves that actually owned slaves of their own during this time. So you had whites owning blacks, and at the same time you had blacks who owned other blacks. Think on that one.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

[QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

I don't believe in racial pride or racial guilt. It is ridiculous to say that anyone is responsible for slavery other than the slave traders, supporters, owners etc., and it is equally ridiculous to say anyone is a victim of slavery other than the slaves and the friends and families they were torn from.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." ~ Gerald Ford

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." ~ Adrian Rogers

Support gun control: hit your target when shooting!

I regret my user name.

Justice: Nothing can relieve the guilt of a slave owner, no matter how many other people did it.

Brutus: but who cares about the guilt of slave owners given that all slave owners in America have been dead for 100 years? That idiotic, senseless preoccupation with the distant past has nearly destroyed American blacks. Walter Williams said, " we could survive slavery, we could survive Jim Crow but we could not survive modern liberalism"