Poll: do you lie?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: why do you lie?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Valencia. Spain.
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    ...I believe that the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster (source be upon him) .....
    Hopefully, that would be 'sauce' Tim? I fear his noodleship might be rather annoyed at being covered in "source". LOL!
    How to make yourself look a fool in one sentence....

    (P.S. worshiping only has 1 p not 2.)
    --johnson--.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    No, atheism is a lack of belief in gods. How does a lack of belief become belief???
    You are always confused, Dani.



    Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist (Wikipedia)
    If you don't believe God exists then you believe God doesn't exist. This is what Wikipedia is saying above. God either exists or doesn't.

    To an atheist the proposition "God exists" is false

    To an atheist the proposition "God doesn't exist" is true, therefore he believes, or thinks, or asserts, or has the position, or ... whatever that God doesn't exist.


  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    No even able to identify that you have posted the definition which makes your claim obviously wrong then?

    Absence of belief is not belief.

    .
    Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist
    from (Wikipedia)
    Stick to plumbing, Tim

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,533

    Atheism and Deism

    Atheist


    There are two in-use definitions of the word 'atheist':

    1.) A person who lacks belief in a god or gods. People who use this definition categorize atheists as either negative (or implicit or weak) atheists or positive (or explicit or strong) atheists. Negative atheists, while they don't believe in a god, do not positively assert that no gods exist. Positive atheists, however, do.

    2.) A person who believes that no god or gods exist.

    Those who consider themselves atheists (who are usually positive atheists) tend to define 'atheist' using the former definition, and those who believe in a god or gods tend to define 'atheist' using the latter. In both cases, this seems to be a demagogic practice intended to classify either as many or as few people as atheists as possible. Negative atheists are usually referred to as agnostics.

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=atheist
    a·the·ist (th-st)
    n.
    One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.


    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

    Did you read the above ? an atheist denies the existence of God or gods.

    There is no proof of the non existence of God, an assertion that cannot be proved is a belief. In the same way that people who assert the existence of God without proof of it are called believers (in God) those who assert (believe in) the non existence of God are called atheists.



    A person who believes that no god or gods exist.
    In other words, a person who is convinced that God or gods do no exist but cannot prove it. An atheist according to this definition holds the precise opposite position of a God believer. So dani is simply an atheist Archangel (Archie).

    Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-21-2013 at 12:37 AM.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,533

    Dumbas-ses and smartass-es

    (You won't find this in Wikipedia or learn it at Google University, so pay attention)

    Anthropologists have discovered recently a subspecies of the 'dumbas-s man'. Unbeknown to most of us, there are dumbas-ses and there are dumb-asses. Most dumbas-ses are of the plain vanilla variety, i.e. they are simply dumb, they are not even aware of being dumb. However a subspecies of dumbas-s, or subgroup, call it what you want, these dumbass-es are so dumb they think they are smart. So here we have dumbasse-s thinking they are really smartass-es. What a discovery!

    Now, get this, being dumbass-es they think that the smart way to behave in real life and in forums such as this is by bullying those who disagree with them, in other words they are what is commonly called in forum parlance: 'trolls' and in real life 'as-sholes.

    we have a dumbas-s specimen here, right here in this forum who (I won't mention names) bullies poor Archie because Archie, as a good Christian, defends his beliefs.

    Well, this is all for this thread.

    Important Warning: Any further comments including but not limited to insults, threats of physical violence, admonitions, prayers and offerings to God or, Satan for my damnation, curses et cetera will not be read.



  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    (You won't find this in Wikipedia or learn it at Google University, so pay attention)

    Anthropologists have discovered recently a subspecies of the 'dumbas-s man'. Unbeknown to most of us, there are dumbas-ses and there are dumb-asses. Most dumbas-ses are of the plain vanilla variety, i.e. they are simply dumb, they are not even aware of being dumb. However a subspecies of dumbas-s, or subgroup, call it what you want, these dumbass-es are so dumb they think they are smart. So here we have dumbasse-s thinking they are really smartass-es. What a discovery!

    Now, get this, being dumbass-es they think that the smart way to behave in real life and in forums such as this is by bullying those who disagree with them, in other words they are what is commonly called in forum parlance: 'trolls' and in real life 'as-sholes.

    we have a dumbas-s specimen here, right here in this forum who (I won't mention names) bullies poor Archie because Archie, as a good Christian, defends his beliefs.

    Well, this is all for this thread.

    Important Warning: Any further comments including but not limited to insults, threats of physical violence, admonitions, prayers and offerings to God or, Satan for my damnation, curses et cetera will not be read.


    Not believing in god is disbelief not belief.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Valencia. Spain.
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Not believing in god is disbelief not belief.
    I think we'd be wasting our time trying to explain it to him.
    How to make yourself look a fool in one sentence....

    (P.S. worshiping only has 1 p not 2.)
    --johnson--.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Valencia. Spain.
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    an atheist denies the existence of God or gods.
    No, you're wrong. Some atheists may do so but for most of us we say that we simply do not know whether or not gods exist but the likelihood of them existing is so infinitesimally small that we have no belief that they exist. Do you not see the difference...and even if you don't, what particular point are you trying to make here...that atheists 'believe' something??? As an atheist I believe many things; what's your point??
    How to make yourself look a fool in one sentence....

    (P.S. worshiping only has 1 p not 2.)
    --johnson--.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    109
    Winston Smith,

    I understand that you wish very strongly for atheism to be a religion. That would be a lot less threatening for you. It would mean that everyone else has to have some sort of gibberish thing to cling to to get them through the day. We don't.

    We (atheists) manage to live our lives without the need for a belief in any sort of protecting guardian fair looking over us. We consider those who need to think that there is such a thing; silly, weak and cowardly.

    You should try living without the shadow of the great tooth fairy hovering over you. Once you have done a day you will feel liberated and free. Your actions will be yours not the responsibility and credit of the great fairy.

    I'm off to decorate my spare bedroom. I will have done it myself. My work, my glory. Praise me.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    I think we'd be wasting our time trying to explain it to him.
    What passes for reason among the religious is almost always glaring fallacy when it comes to defending their faith.

    It would be funny if they weren’t so dangerous.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5
    i lie because i make a trouble or don't want to make hurt for someone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •