Thread: The Wire

The Wire

I was given the DVD boxed set of The Wire, and I've just finished watching it.

It paints a portrait of total disfunction in society, and it has been hailed as accurate by people who know Baltimore (the city where it is set). The thing I'm curious about is whether, if someone had the time and money, a similar picture could be painted of a segment of any society. Is there a department in France, or a local authority in the UK, or an Indian state that is so chronically messed up? Some of the machinations make bribery seem honest and straightforward, and everyone involved is compelled by their own self-interest to perpetuate the system, and are so bound in to the point where even attempting to XXXX the whole thing open would end up with them showered in XXXX and the machine rumbling on without them.

It's tempting to blame the degree to which institutions are bound together at a local level in the US (police, schools, waste disposal etc.), or the effect of directly elected mayors, the politicisation of race, whatever. I don't want to do that, because I might be missing something more fundamental about human society.

I guess I have two main things I want to discuss:
    1. Do you think The Wire tells a true tale of some part of American society?
    2. Are other societies just as disfunctional?
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist” - Helder Camara
    “It is not the will of God for some to have everything and others to have nothing. This cannot be God” - Oscar Romero
    "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder" - Einstein
    "We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him" - CS Lewis

Jo,

When you said France I thought of this film:

La haine (1995)

No exactly the same thing but "The Wire" makes Baltimore look a horror and "Hate" does some of the same thing for Paris.

YMMV

Enjoy.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

After reading this thread, I found that, You have very great knowledge about these forums, so, I want to know something about real estate and related knowledge to this forum, What is the purpose of this.

Like any big city, Baltimore has its good and bad areas. Mt. Vernon is not a bad area, for instance.

I wished to watch this series. It is the top show on IMDB.
    http://thesopranos.seriesgate.com/

How many television shows are made each year?

This is Sabine saba A Student. I am fond of watching TV show in my free time. well there is no doubt that TV show is best option to entertainment our life . Nowadays there are different types of TV show are plays but the show which I like most that is BIG BOSS. I like the atmosphere of that show moreover the host.

I am not interested in this TV Show...........Once I have watched this show with my Friends But This show seemed a little bit bored to me so never try to watch this show again................
    Last edited by cynusalisa; 08-04-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Such an incredible story that it would almost seem like a true story. Each season brings a different scenario and the writing was so great that even the task force was shuffled into different roles and scenarios over numerous seasons. The show ended perfectly after its 5th season and wasn't a story that was meant to be drawn out over more episodes. Really awesome show.