Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum History?

Thanks or the history, guys! it's great that this forum is still alive while there are so many forums about the same things
    download youtube videos http://ytubedownloader.org/

Back to the past

The earliest post I can find is around February 2003.

I browsed the history section and I can see it was quite active until 2006 and less so in 2007 and then there are gaps, some big gaps and also almost all the 'founders' dissapeared by then.

I would say the extinction (by definition irreversible) began in late 2006 and then continued slowly in 2007 and accelerated from then on. Now we are I think near the end where only a handful and not even that post regularly and if we substract from that number the 'usual suspects' then I would say this is it, please turn out the light whoever is the last poster, and leave the key under the mat and thanks for the memories.

I have a friend who is an anthropologist but not an urban one and she thinks that the lives and deaths of forums could be a interesting subject of study and also of course, the social networks. The pity is that once a forum dies, not traces are left of it. It is as if it never existed, kind of an Internet Atlantis or something like that.

Sometimes doing a search I come across forums or blogs that are floating in cyberspace totally dead, where nobody has posted in years. I came across one forum where nobody had ever posted, like a total empty ship, eerie !

I also came across one forum that was closed to newcomers and only two persons were active in the forum, probably the admins and, one 'oldie' came back, asking what had happened? she had left several years ago and now decided out of nostalgia maybe? to drop by. the people she asked about had left, so that was it.

Maybe it's time to surrender and join Facebook ? Nah! books are better.

I subscribe to The New Yorker and the beauty of it is that one can access its archive beginning in 1925 and read all those short stories, the books and music and art and movie sections from way back. I read for instance there a wonderful, wonderful story by J.D. Salinger very different in tone from his other stories. But the best part apart from some cartoons are the advertisements, those are real cultural history.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    EDIT: Apparently an old forum existed?
    It looks like the original forum is still there:

YouDebate.com Forum
    "Indeed, not a word in the constitutional text even arguably supports the Courtís overwrought and novel description of the Second Amendment as 'elevat[ing] above all other interests' 'the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home.' Ante,at 63."
    -Justice Stevens on the Heller ruling

Good to know!!

I'll check it out and maybe move over there.

Yeah, the hisotry's nice thanks. I've saved the above listed forum for alter review. I like a good community in a forum. I've belonged to several over the years. This group, as I've said, is a little bit small: I don't think we have enough conservatives though . . .
    He Lived in the Perfect Midfield Time

Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, the hisotry's nice thanks. I've saved the above listed forum for alter review. I like a good community in a forum. I've belonged to several over the years. This group, as I've said, is a little bit small: I don't think we have enough conservatives though . . .
    I did check it out once I got home, and it is not looking good, there is there even less activity than here, kind of a post a month if not less, some threads expired months ago. See for yourself.

When Der Spiegel moderated the forum at the same time linked its articles to Facebook. Now, if you want to comment instantly you do it at Facebook, same as El Mercurio on-line the broadsheet in my home town.
    I know what you mean by a community, when I posted at another Chilean newspaper we were there an internet community of Chilean expatriates (most of them living in the USA). We argued hotly but in a friendly manner and I learnt a lot, I learnt a lot about life in Chile under Pinochet, true experiences from people at the extremes of the political spectrum. The Deutsche Welle forum was also a community. But, those days are over. Video killed the radio star and facebook the forums.
    I received in the mail today my copy "Girl with curious hair" by my favourite author David Foster Wallace and I think reading it beats hands down 'listening' to the noises, tibbit, freedom, gansao etc etc make. If you read the old posts in this forum you will see the difference between then and now. It is like Rome before and after the barbarians broke through the walls.

If you find a lost community of friendly forum people let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I did check it out once I got home, and it is not looking good, there is there even less activity than here, kind of a post a month if not less, some threads expired months ago. See for yourself.

When Der Spiegel moderated the forum at the same time linked its articles to Facebook. Now, if you want to comment instantly you do it at Facebook, same as El Mercurio on-line the broadsheet in my home town.
    I know what you mean by a community, when I posted at another Chilean newspaper we were there an internet community of Chilean expatriates (most of them living in the USA). We argued hotly but in a friendly manner and I learnt a lot, I learnt a lot about life in Chile under Pinochet, true experiences from people at the extremes of the political spectrum. The Deutsche Welle forum was also a community. But, those days are over. Video killed the radio star and facebook the forums.
    I received in the mail today my copy "Girl with curious hair" by my favourite author David Foster Wallace and I think reading it beats hands down 'listening' to the noises, tibbit, freedom, gansao etc etc make. If you read the old posts in this forum you will see the difference between then and now. It is like Rome before and after the barbarians broke through the walls.

If you find a lost community of friendly forum people let me know.
    I've been hanging out at this forum lately: Debate Politics Forums It's real busy and real fast. The conservatives aren't led by dopes and you can get in some good conversations.

A Warning??

So now, when I click onto the site, I get a window that says that I don't have perssion to access the page . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    So now, when I click onto the site, I get a window that says that I don't have perssion to access the page . . .
    Just click on "Forum"

I checked that forum, yes it is alive, Unbelievable. Imagine our 3 stooges moving there

I'll look at it later closely