Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum History?

Question Forum History?

So what is the history of this forum?

This is an interesting topic to me (hopefully our beloved admin will join in)...

When was it started?
    Who was the first poster? (non administrator)
    Who was the first to be banned?
    Why was it started to begin with?

We should add that to an "about me" thing

EDIT: Apparently an old forum existed? http://www.4forums.com/political/sug...rum.html#post1
    Called "youdebate.com" I believe.

Thanks! Nice topic.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

J Miro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    Who's rewriting it?

This is an interesting topic to me (hopefully our beloved admin will join in)...

When was it started?
    Who was the first poster? (non administrator)
    Who was the first to be banned?
    Why was it started to begin with?

We should add that to an "about me" thing

EDIT: Apparently an old forum existed? http://www.4forums.com/political/sug...rum.html#post1
    Called "youdebate.com" I believe.
    I can't really answer any of your questions, but you'd probably get a kick out of reading through this thread. The "FTE" wave was a big one back in 04! It alone probably kicked this place into gear more than anything else. It's faded quite a bit since then.
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

All those guys are gone now!

Ford truck enthusiasts?
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

All those guys are gone now!
    Not quite all but almost. I found three,
    here, here, and uh.....here.

I'd guess about half of the active posters here in late 04 and most of 05 were old FTE members. Everyone gets tired of this after a while (including myself), there's only so much to say I guess. But that group was a significant part of 4forums history.
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    Ford truck enthusiasts?
    It was a pretty big site, especially for that time in www history. I got my first computer in 2001, and found it pretty quickly. Lots of sub forums for different age and style of Ford trucks. But it had the "pig pen", the political discussion forum, and I was one just like many in the above referenced thread that kind of forgot about trucks and spent about all of my time there in the pigpen. That forum made that administrator a nervous wreck haha. He'd edit and warn whenever things made him nervous, which was quite often. He would sometimes ban posters for a week - FTE purgatory it was called by many - and yes, I spent a week there. Then he made a list of people who were posting too much in the pigpen, he said we needed most of our posting percentage in the truck area. Finally, he just closed that forum. About 6 months to a year went by IIRC before everyone found this place as the above thread showed. It was a blast to see all those names come together here, and see that this place was not heavily moderated. Seems strange to me how most of those people never check in anymore.

I remember most of those names. I joined late 2001 or early 2002, a bit after the war on terror was declared. I think the forum was more active back then, and there was definitely less resorting to personal attacks and insults when a debate became heated.

This is still a good forum, one of the best for the topics it serves. The personal jabs and bickering needs to cease, I think that that's the only thing that's keep this site from being excellent. Other than that I think the admin has been doing an excellent job stepping in where moderating is needed. No censorship could be just as destructive as too much censorship.
    when man tried to understand nature, theism was born
    when man tried to understand God, atheism was born

Most of those posters from FTE were liberal. The main reason this place isn't as active as it used to be is that there is no Republican US president to bash right now. Wait till 2012 - things will pick up then!

As said, the topics on this forum are very limited.
    As for Winston, he's trolled just as much as anyone on this forum.
    Dont take any notice of him

Quote Originally Posted by unkerpaulie View Post
    I remember most of those names. I joined late 2001 or early 2002, a bit after the war on terror was declared. I think the forum was more active back then, and there was definitely less resorting to personal attacks and insults when a debate became heated.

This is still a good forum, one of the best for the topics it serves. The personal jabs and bickering needs to cease, I think that that's the only thing that's keep this site from being excellent. Other than that I think the admin has been doing an excellent job stepping in where moderating is needed. No censorship could be just as destructive as too much censorship.
    The personal jabs and bickering are no worse than most other forums that I have seen. In fact we are better than most.
    The problem with this forum is the limited topics and the fact that most of the few posters that we have have ' history' with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    The personal jabs and bickering are no worse than most other forums that I have seen. In fact we are better than most.
    The problem with this forum is the limited topics and the fact that most of the few posters that we have have ' history' with each other.
    Well the thing to do is make some suggestions of a list of forum sections you'd like to see added. This forum tself has expanded quite a bit, and I see no reason why the admin wouldn't be happy to continue adding topics as the interests of the community demands.
    when man tried to understand nature, theism was born
    when man tried to understand God, atheism was born

Quote Originally Posted by unkerpaulie View Post
    Well the thing to do is make some suggestions of a list of forum sections you'd like to see added. This forum tself has expanded quite a bit, and I see no reason why the admin wouldn't be happy to continue adding topics as the interests of the community demands.
    There are plenty of forum sections but few takers.

We don't need a lot more posters..maybe we do in some areas but the bigger forums here are fairly populated...anymore and it gets too hard to follow.