Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Bad Karma in the Gulf'

'Bad Karma in the Gulf'

An article from Corpwatch:
    CorpWatchX:XBad Karma in the Gulf of Mexico Oil Disaster

Someone sent me an email yesterday titled 'Oil Patch Playground' with pictures of cute bears playing on equipment, climbing ladders on sides of tanks and in an office, in Alberta. I noticed a name on the side of a truck but, couldn't quite make it out...Schl***berger.

Just now, I was looking for a list of products made from petroleum and found this: Oil : Products made from oil
    notice the name at the top - Schlumberger.
    Did a search on 'Schlumberger' and found this: Home, Schlumberger
    Ooh...the plot thickens!

To see if there is any dirt associated with them I go to Corpwatch and find this little tidbit:

Bad Karma in the Gulf of Mexico Oil Disaster

Posted by Phil Mattera on May 10th, 2010

Originally posted on May 7 at Dirt Digger's Digest.

Seems like BP has a partner in crime. So, why is BP taking all the heat???

'British Petroleum is, rightfully, taking a lot of grief for the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but we should save some of our vituperation for Transocean Ltd., the company that leased the ill-fated Deepwater Horizon drilling rig to BP. Transocean is no innocent bystander in this matter. It presumably has some responsibility for the safety condition of the rig, which its employees helped operate (nine of them died in the April 20 explosion). '
    'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

"10 to 1 that in usual fashion, a post which breaks down an issue to its core will be completely ignored by the opposition as they go on discussing irrelevant minutia." - Archangel

'It's not rational to judge something in the present on actions people took a thousand years ago.' - jyoshu

'I AM your god, damit! And you will love me or, I will kill you dead.'

Don't worry BP will spread the guilt. Its lawyers must be hard at work.

Have you noticed how (at least in Australia) nothing is mentioned in the media about the spill anymore. It is as if it never happened, but it is happening. Global warming is also happening and oil production peaked in 2005 according to some experts.
    But the sky is not falling; it only appears so if we look upwards. So keep you gaze to the ground and everything will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Have you noticed how (at least in Australia) nothing is mentioned in the media about the spill anymore.
    You mean the Australia that is on the exact opposite side of the map from the Gulf of Mexico? The USA doesn't cover Australia news very often...why should they cover ours?

Don't worry BP will spread the guilt. Its lawyers must be hard at work.

Have you noticed how (at least in Australia) nothing is mentioned in the media about the spill anymore. It is as if it never happened, but it is happening. Global warming is also happening and oil production peaked in 2005 according to some experts.
    But the sky is not falling; it only appears so if we look upwards. So keep you gaze to the ground and everything will be just fine.
    Has anyone noticed that the same thing is happening here?
    MSNBC no longer has the live feed link on it's front page and there are few to no articles about what is actually going on with the clean up and investigation...none worth reading.

The public has a very short attention span - just what the oil industry wants now, and with the help of the media down playing the disaster, that's exactly what they are getting.

Main stream media that is, I'm sure if you rooted around on the Internet, you'd find someone, somewhere, keeping up with the latest developments - but, most people aren't interested enough to put out the effort to look.

So keep you gaze to the ground and everything will be just fine.
    That's right - in other words: 'keep your nose to the grindstone'...which is what most Americans have to do just to survive anymore. They don't have the luxury of time to police the government or big business.

"10 to 1 that in usual fashion, a post which breaks down an issue to its core will be completely ignored by the opposition as they go on discussing irrelevant minutia." - Archangel

'It's not rational to judge something in the present on actions people took a thousand years ago.' - jyoshu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    You mean the Australia that is on the exact opposite side of the map from the Gulf of Mexico? The USA doesn't cover Australia news very often...why should they cover ours?
    Because...and I shouldn't have to tell you this...BP and other Big petroleum companies are global. What affects us here could happen there just as easily.
    But, they don't want them to know that so, the media silence.

Doesn't this sound just like the book 1984, where the governments kept the people from knowing what was going on in the other parts of the world???

Perhaps because we are not a nation of navel gazers

Because what happens in the USA sadly for the rest of the planet affect all of us, so we better watch out

Because on average we are more cultured, more intellectual, more ... the opposite of the average gunt toting FOX news viewer, perhaps

Because what happens in the USA sadly for the rest of the planet affect all of us, so we better watch out
    Obviously not enough to cover it on the news. The oil is in the Gulf of Mexico...last time I checked Australia was not even close to the Gulf of Mexico.

Because on average we are more cultured, more intellectual, more ... the opposite of the average gunt toting FOX news viewer, perhaps
    Another bigot on these forums? Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandycane View Post
    Because...and I shouldn't have to tell you this...BP and other Big petroleum companies are global. What affects us here could happen there just as easily.

Doesn't this sound just like the book 1984, where the governments kept the people from knowing what was going on in the other parts of the world???
    It sounds like this forum is being taken over by conspiracy theorists like yourself. Unless you got people in Australia making bad calls and plan on having a freak equipment failure, I wouldn't worry too much.

Obviously not enough to cover it on the news. The oil is in the Gulf of Mexico...last time I checked Australia was not even close to the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm sure The Media works the same in Australia as it does in every other country - it doesn't! They show only what is allowed.

Guess what, Steeeeeeve?
    BP is also in Australia: BP Australia - About BP

I'm sure people all over the planet are concerned about what is going on in the Gulf, even if you're not - if not for the environment, then for their stock value.

It sounds like this forum is being taken over by conspiracy theorists like yourself. Unless you got people in Australia making bad calls and plan on having a freak equipment failure, I wouldn't worry too much.
    We know you don't.
    keep your nose to that grindstone, don't wory, be happy.

I'm sure The Media works the same in Australia as it does in every other country - it doesn't! They show only what is allowed.
    They seem to show what they want here in the US. Again, I don't believe in conspiracy theories like you do.

Guess what, Steeeeeeve?
    BP is also in Australia:
    And? If a Cessna goes down in Chile should we cover it here in the US...we have those in the US too. In fact, it is headquartered in the US. I'm sure Australia has more important topics than what is happening thousands of miles away.

I'm sure people all over the planet are concerned about what is going on in the Gulf, even if you're not - if not for the environment, then for their stock value.
    Well I'm sure that's not true considering they aren't covering there. I suspect more people care about the World Cup.

We know you don't.
    keep your nose to that grindstone, don't wory, be happy.
    Thanks! I plan on it. You can continue worrying about that deadly dihydrogen monoxide we all consume.

not ony in the other parts of the world, but also in every part of the world. Remember what happened to Winston Smith.

we have already a mini Gulf of Oil spill here:

Green groups up in arms over oil spill - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Last year, the West Atlas semi-submersible rig, off the coast of Western Australia, went up in flames. This spill is considered the worst oil-platform spill Australia has seen. The rig leaked 400 barrels of oil a day, over ten weeks, (estimated to be 3600 tonnes) into the Timor Sea, seriously damaging the surrounding marine life.

In comparison, the world's largest oil spill occurred in 1991 during The Gulf War in Kuwait, where 520 million gallons were intentionally spilt across the land and into the Persian Gulf in an attempt to stop the United States military invading the area. The spill in the Gulf of Mexico is catching up at a considerable rate, and experts believe that it is now the worst spill in US history. Upper estimates are that it's leaking 100,000 barrels of oil per day

Oil spills - Australian Geographic

Guess what, Steeeeeeve?
    BP is also in Australia: BP Australia - About BP

I saw on CNN today a short story about an American family trying to go to a beach in the Gulf and finding it closed. The reporter asked one of the children how did oil felt.

The tone of the story was, this things happen, there is nothing you can do about it, so little girl, go find a swimming pool instead.

You had to check if Australia was close to the Gulf of Mexico??

wow! you are more ignorant than I thought. Well, at least you learnt something

We also have a woman as a Prime Minister since a few days ago. Our firt female Prime Minister ever, she is unmarried and lives with her partner (male)

Just trying to educate you a little bit.