Thread: States Spend Hundreds of Millions Each Year Treating Sex Offenders

States Spend Hundreds of Millions Each Year Treating Sex Offenders

"An Associated Press analysis found that the 20 states with so-called 'civil commitment' programs will spend nearly $500 million this year alone to confine and treat 5,200 offenders still considered too dangerous to put back on the streets.

"The annual costs per offender topped out at $175,000 in New York and $173,000 in California, and averaged $96,000 a year, about double what it would cost to send them to an Ivy League university....

"The heavy financial burden of treating confined sex offenders has left lawmakers with less money as they make agonizing cuts to areas like education and health care....

"The confinement is costly mainly because of the need to hire behavioral therapists, social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists....

"Fitch, the Maryland expert, said research suggests that treatment lowers their risk of committing more sex crimes only slightly, something less than 20 percent. He said states without civil commitment for sex offenders tend to focus on controlling behavior more than psychology. Colorado, for example, manages them through intensive supervision, lie-detector tests, tracking devices and counseling."
    Sexual predator treatment squeezes state budgets - Yahoo! News

I suspect the main benefit of such programs is that they keep people who endanger the rights of others out of the general population for a few more years after they've served their time in prison. If an adult really does like children sexually then I question the ability of therapy to change that. It doesn't seem fair that a state should spend millions of dollars treating sex offenders but lay off thousands of public school teachers who haven't done anything wrong as has happened in states like California. Perhaps there is a less costly solution that wouldn't result in more innocent people being victimized.
    "Indeed, not a word in the constitutional text even arguably supports the Courtís overwrought and novel description of the Second Amendment as 'elevat[ing] above all other interests' 'the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home.' Ante,at 63."
    -Justice Stevens on the Heller ruling

keeping the predators away

If someone won't stop victimizing kids then confine them to some geographic region where, at least, we know they are there and it would be risky to take a kid there.

"Warning: Entering Pedo Zone"

5' x 5' steel box.
    1 loaf of bread
    1 cantine of water
    1 toilet
    1 sink
    no yard time

this would save us a lot of money. why do these people deserve our help? They rape are children. Being a Christian, I would allow them to have a bible and a weekly radio broadcast of a church service if they so choose.
    "You will say to me then, 'Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?' On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? -Romans 9:19-21 (NASB)

Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Give them this and one bullet. See if they have any pride left. After one week, you either clean up the mess, or make the mess and then clean it up.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

Create a massive prison colony with adequate farm land somewhere in Nevada, or Alaska, and let them fend for themselves. If any one tries to leave, XXXX em away.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Create a massive prison colony with adequate farm land somewhere in Nevada, or Alaska, and let them fend for themselves. If any one tries to leave, XXXX em away.
    Then they would have the self-satisfaction of working hard and being a farmer.
    "You will say to me then, 'Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?' On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? -Romans 9:19-21 (NASB)

[sarcastic]Glad to see people are so calm and reasonable about the subject...[/sarcastic]

Quote Originally Posted by Iuris View Post
    [sarcastic]Glad to see people are so calm and reasonable about the subject...[/sarcastic]
    You know, it is sad, but I am being serious. I really feel that they should have no rights. Why should a man or woman, who attacked someone in a way that in many was is worse than death be allowed to be rehabilitated with tax payer money. Put them away from society for good and let them deal with themselves. Someone who rapes a child or brutally and sadistically violates a woman does not even deserve the time of day.

Uh-huh. All the typical elements in one points. 5 lines, I wonder where I'll find a shorter one.

Obviously, you start with the standard preconceptions:
    -"all sex offences are rape"
    -"all sex offences are committed by males on women and children"
    -"rape is a fate worse than death"
    -"they are not human and should have no rights"

They also, as always, show a worrying amount of desire to inflict cruelty on these "non-humans", with no consideration about what that tells you about the nature of the people and what it does to the society when this tendency is not curtailed early...

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    5' x 5' steel box.
    1 loaf of bread
    1 cantine of water
    1 toilet
    1 sink
    no yard time

this would save us a lot of money. why do these people deserve our help? They rape are children. Being a Christian, I would allow them to have a bible and a weekly radio broadcast of a church service if they so choose.
    Gotta agree with Snakespit, only, just one in the back of the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Iuris View Post
    Uh-huh. All the typical elements in one points. 5 lines, I wonder where I'll find a shorter one.

Obviously, you start with the standard preconceptions:
    -"all sex offences are rape"
    -"all sex offences are committed by males on women and children"
    -"rape is a fate worse than death"
    -"they are not human and should have no rights"

They also, as always, show a worrying amount of desire to inflict cruelty on these "non-humans", with no consideration about what that tells you about the nature of the people and what it does to the society when this tendency is not curtailed early...
    Tell it to my oldest daughter that was 9 repeat 9 years old at the time. A bullet is the only way,none of that oh I'm rehabilitated after 1 or2 years. They get out they do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
    Gotta agree with Snakespit, only, just one in the back of the neck.
    That gives them the satisfaction of death. I'd rather them be punished in solitude with minimal rights, so that they can contemplate the horror of what they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Then they would have the self-satisfaction of working hard and being a farmer.
    Big deal.

Seriously, isolation is good enough for me. Trying to punish them by removing their satisfaction is expensive. Just make the land their put on too small to support all of them. Then periodically drop packages full of knives and the aforementioned specially qualified gun.