Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickens for Health Care...

Chickens for Health Care...

Sue Lowden, the front-running Republican challenger to Sen. Harry Reid, yesterday doubled down on her idea that health care could be paid for using the barter system.

Last week, when Lowden suggested "that bartering is really good," it seemed that she may have been talking about haggling prices and just had her vocab mixed up. It happens to everyone....

"Let's change the system and talk about what the possibilities are. I'm telling you that this works. You know, before we all started having health care, in the olden days, our grandparents, they would bring a chicken to the doctor. They would say I'll paint your house," she said. "[That's] what people would do to get health care with their doctors. Doctors are very sympathetic people."
    Lowden Doubles Down On Health-Care-By-Barter: 'Bring A Chicken To The Doctor' (VIDEO) | TPMDC

My word! I've been around for a while and I'm from a rural community ... and by golly I don't remember any docs bartering medical care for chickens and such.

Of course, you kinda wonder if Lowden slabbed off all her makeup, maybe she's centuries older than moi and she does remember a time when docs took chickens from their patients to pay their staff and utility bills, not to mention their college loan payments.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

And check out this video from Rachel Maddow on the topic:
    Morning Vid: Maddow Mocks Chicken-for-Health-Care Plan | The Atlantic Wire
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Lowden Medical Procedure to Chicken Converter...

Senate hopeful Sue Lowden’s plan for Healthcare reform is to barter chickens for medical procedures. But you may be unsure how many chickens are required for your medical care. This handy calculator converts many common procedures into chickens so you won’t look like an XXXXX at your next Doctor’s Appointment.
    Lowden Plan Medical Chicken Calculator

I don't have any chickens, so I don't know what I'd do under Lowden's plan.

Would I have to start raising chickens?

Try a Chick-Fil-A Milkshake Today!

I had Chick-Fil-A yesterday for lunch! Delicious!

Glad you brought it up Simone.

And... how was that chicken raised, Steeeeve?

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    Who really gives a cluck?

Well, I do if that chicken's guts and wastes are polluting my rivers and lakes and other water supplies.

To be finger lickin' good, obviously.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

[QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

Well, I do if that chicken's guts and wastes are polluting my rivers and lakes and other water supplies.
    As opposed to all the dead bodies dumped in the water ways by various mobs and mafia members?

How about all those fish swimming around in the rivers and toileting them up? You ever think about that? Your water comes from a fish's toilet.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]

The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

Let's see...
    Two weeks ago, I spent, out of pocket because I don't have health insurance, $150 on a doctor. I also bought 4 chickens at $10 a piece.
    IF the doctor would have taken poultry instead of cash (which was required), it would have cost me 15 chickens - and I only have 8.

Assuming this doctor sees 20 patients a day - that's 300 chickens.

I'd like to see her try to deposit them in the bank.
    'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

"10 to 1 that in usual fashion, a post which breaks down an issue to its core will be completely ignored by the opposition as they go on discussing irrelevant minutia." - Archangel

'It's not rational to judge something in the present on actions people took a thousand years ago.' - jyoshu

'I AM your god, damit! And you will love me or, I will kill you dead.'

Quote Originally Posted by NATO 556 View Post
    As opposed to all the dead bodies dumped in the water ways by various mobs and mafia members?

How about all those fish swimming around in the rivers and toileting them up? You ever think about that? Your water comes from a fish's toilet.
    Geeze! Those bodies are always recovered!

What do you think we have police for?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandycane View Post
    Let's see...
    Two weeks ago, I spent, out of pocket because I don't have health insurance, $150 on a doctor. I also bought 4 chickens at $10 a piece.
    IF the doctor would have taken poultry instead of cash (which was required), it would have cost me 15 chickens - and I only have 8.

Assuming this doctor sees 20 patients a day - that's 300 chickens.

I'd like to see her try to deposit them in the bank.
    Well we have chicken banks, like the ones in Chicken Run. Those are what the doctors can use. Those doctors are going to be really fat.
    -Why is it, that whenever a politician wants to lower debt, they add to it?

-B.UD.W.E.I.S.E.R. Because You Deserve What Every Individual Should Enjoy Regularly.

Geeze! Those bodies are always recovered!

What do you think we have police for?
    You're missing the point, yet again, Simone.

People carry lots of diseases, lots of STDs and such. And usually when a body's dumped there are open wounds be found, letting blood and infections seep out into the water. So even if the body is recovered, the pollutants that came from the body are gonna remain in the water.

Runoff of chicken and hog waste from factory farms in Maryland and North Carolina is believed to have contributed to outbreaks of Pfiesteria piscicida, killing millions of fish and causing skin irritation, short-term memory loss and other cognitive problems in local people.
    NRDC: Facts about Pollution from Livestock Farms

Um, so go right ahead and fish those rivers and swim in them.

NRDC: Facts about Pollution from Livestock Farms

Um, so go right ahead and fish those rivers and swim in them.
    Attacking industrialized society now?