Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Was Da'rryl Durr guilty? [death penalty]

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    4,892

    Was Da'rryl Durr guilty? [death penalty]

    Da'rryl Durr on the death penalty | World news | The Guardian

    Even if you think the death penalty can be justified in principle (I disagree but that's another discussion, can we keep away from it please), surely it cannot be justified in practice as it appears to have occurred in this case. Can it ever be right to convict someone on the basis of a single eyewitness and condemn them to death? Surely when the case hinges on the testimony of one witness there must always be a failsafe to allow for the insincerity of that witness? Am I missing something in this case?
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist” - Helder Camara
    “It is not the will of God for some to have everything and others to have nothing. This cannot be God” - Oscar Romero
    "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder" - Einstein
    "We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him" - CS Lewis

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    I don't think there is any doubt he did it.

    The two rapes were clear cut and other small time evidence was brought up. I'm not a huge fan of the death penalty but it doesn't seem totally out of line compared to other cases where someone received the death penalty.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    I don't think there is any doubt he did it.

    The two rapes were clear cut and other small time evidence was brought up. I'm not a huge fan of the death penalty but it doesn't seem totally out of line compared to other cases where someone received the death penalty.
    Guilty of the rapes I'm not disputing (don't know anything about those cases), but why does that automatically make him guilty of the rape and murder for which he was executed?
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist” - Helder Camara
    “It is not the will of God for some to have everything and others to have nothing. This cannot be God” - Oscar Romero
    "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder" - Einstein
    "We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him" - CS Lewis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    America, and damn proud of it!
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    Guilty of the rapes I'm not disputing (don't know anything about those cases), but why does that automatically make him guilty of the rape and murder for which he was executed?
    Because he was found guilty of murdering a minor rather than an adult. Any crime committed by an adult against a child is more heinous in nature.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

    [QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

    The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by NATO 556 View Post
    Because he was found guilty of murdering a minor rather than an adult. Any crime committed by an adult against a child is more heinous in nature.
    Way to miss the point.
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist” - Helder Camara
    “It is not the will of God for some to have everything and others to have nothing. This cannot be God” - Oscar Romero
    "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder" - Einstein
    "We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him" - CS Lewis

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    America, and damn proud of it!
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    Way to miss the point.
    I'm not missing the point, but you are. You talked about fail safes being present when there's only one credible eyewitness to give testimony. Often times there's only going to be one victimized party who can actually give testimony, but that doesn't mean that their suffering should receive any less consideration than that of an entire group.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

    [QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

    The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by NATO 556 View Post
    I'm not missing the point, but you are. You talked about fail safes being present when there's only one credible eyewitness to give testimony. Often times there's only going to be one victimized party who can actually give testimony, but that doesn't mean that their suffering should receive any less consideration than that of an entire group.
    But how can you reliably convict when the only testimony available is a single eyewitness?
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist” - Helder Camara
    “It is not the will of God for some to have everything and others to have nothing. This cannot be God” - Oscar Romero
    "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder" - Einstein
    "We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him" - CS Lewis

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    America, and damn proud of it!
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    But how can you reliably convict when the only testimony available is a single eyewitness?
    How can you suggest that a single eyewitness isn't sufficient to warrant an actual conviction? We'd still put a rapist away if there was only one victim who could actually testify.

    It's very dangerous precedent to suggest that in cases where there's only one witness/victim that a conviction isn't fair, just, or whatever choice of wording one might use.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

    [QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

    The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,854
    Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. At best, it is what the witness believes to have happened, but that is not necessarily what actually happened. Without corroborating evidence conviction is unsafe, and execution is unthinkable in a civilised legal system
    " ... It's not as though he proved anything, he only refuted my evidence. ..." Archangel 04.01.09

    "Obama is not a brown-skinned anti-war socialist who gives away free healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus."

    “Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    Guilty of the rapes I'm not disputing (don't know anything about those cases), but why does that automatically make him guilty of the rape and murder for which he was executed?
    No, but I read some of the evidence and it looked pretty solid. If this person was sentenced to life in prison without parole would you question the verdict?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon,Linn County
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    Guilty of the rapes I'm not disputing (don't know anything about those cases), but why does that automatically make him guilty of the rape and murder for which he was executed?
    If your not disputing he is guilty of rape(any rape)then justice is served.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon,Linn County
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. At best, it is what the witness believes to have happened, but that is not necessarily what actually happened. Without corroborating evidence conviction is unsafe, and execution is unthinkable in a civilised legal system
    Comrade P.:what if your wife or kid were murdered?only one eyewitness,ah still
    notoriously unreliable.
    Are you still gonna wait for the perfect corroborating evidenceto be sure execution is safe?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
    If your not disputing he is guilty of rape(any rape)then justice is served.
    Rape does not carry the death penalty. Vengeance was served, not justice.
    " ... It's not as though he proved anything, he only refuted my evidence. ..." Archangel 04.01.09

    "Obama is not a brown-skinned anti-war socialist who gives away free healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus."

    “Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.”

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    America, and damn proud of it!
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Rape does not carry the death penalty. Vengeance was served, not justice.
    There was also a murder involved, don't forget that.

    And forget about this nonsense about how a conviction with only one eyewitness/victim is unacceptable. There's going to be heinous crimes where there's only one victim who'll step forward and give testimony.

    Are we to just adopt the position that if only one person steps forward and claims to be raped, they should be told that their testimony isn't enough to warrant locking up the person that victimized them?
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

    [QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

    The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon,Linn County
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Rape does not carry the death penalty. Vengeance was served, not justice.
    Perhaps not,perhaps it should, if it can be shown there is no prior knowledge the two people have ever met.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •