Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adopt an Orphaned Starling

Adopt an Orphaned Starling

Do any of you members have a Talking Starling?
    I do! and he is AMAZING!

I found Sweet Pea when he was about 9 days old - he had fallen or, pushed out of his nest.
    He is now 9 months old and has been talking up a storm since he was 3 months!

Here is a partial list of his vocabulary:

Hi Honey
    Hi Sweet Pea
    Hi Jack
    Hi Sweet Jack
    Jack's a good boy
    Here kitty, kitty, kitty
    Where's the Kitty?
    Ohp! There's the Kitty!
    Hey! get off a the door!
    Bad Cat
    What ch doin?
    What are you doing?
    Meow
    Gotta go to work
    Okay?
    See you later
    Did you eat all your crunchies?

Starlings require a certain amount of 'flight time' every day so, I let him out of his cage in the evenings to take his bath in his crystal bowl/tub.

He used to be very camera shy and it was hard to get him on video but, he is getting more relaxed about it. I'm still trying to record him when he goes off on one of his hour-long ramblings when he says everything - at least 10 times!

Here is the latest video of him after he had a bath:
    YouTube - Sweet Pea Talking Starling after bath preening2.AVI

I have 8 of them posted but, this is the best so far.

European Starling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

"10 to 1 that in usual fashion, a post which breaks down an issue to its core will be completely ignored by the opposition as they go on discussing irrelevant minutia." - Archangel

'It's not rational to judge something in the present on actions people took a thousand years ago.' - jyoshu

'I AM your god, damit! And you will love me or, I will kill you dead.'

Quote Originally Posted by Sandycane View Post
    Do any of you members have a Talking Starling?
    I do! and he is AMAZING!
    How do you cook them? Do they taste good?
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
    Couldn't say but, I would imaging he would be sweet and tender - unlike you, who I wouldn't feed to my dog.

"10 to 1 that in usual fashion, a post which breaks down an issue to its core will be completely ignored by the opposition as they go on discussing irrelevant minutia." - Archangel

'It's not rational to judge something in the present on actions people took a thousand years ago.' - jyoshu

My cat likes eating them

My house cats would too, I'm sure, if they had the chance.
    That's why Sweet Pea has his own room.

My house cats would too, I'm sure, if they had the chance.
    That's why Sweet Pea has his own room.
    Are mynah birds related to starlings?

JPSartre12 Guest
    They taste like chicken........only less filling.

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Are mynah birds related to starlings?
    Actually, I read on that Wiki page that Starlings are often called 'The poor man's Mynah'.

Birds do not have a larynx, but sing/talk with an organ called the syrinx. The syrinx is located at the bottom of the trachea (the tube just above the lungs). It is made up of chambers whose "walls" (membranes) vibrate when air passes them. Birds use special muscles to change the shapes of the membranes, which changes the sounds of their songs. It is interesting to note that birds with some of the most beautiful songs -- such as Mockingbirds, and superb mimics, such as European Starlings-- have more muscles to control the membranes of the syrinx
    European Starlings: Information Resource on Sturnus Vulgaris

To answer your question (yes), I found this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myna

Here is an incredible video of Starlings in flight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-gr...om=PL&index=40

Couldn't say but, I would imaging he would be sweet and tender - unlike you, who I wouldn't feed to my dog.
    I'm not for your wanting to feed to your four-legged hairball, woman.

I like Rush Limbaugh's humerous solution to solving an endangered species problem: Just make them a delicacy that people can make money on and someone will find a way to mass breed the little urchins.
    “For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow

I'm not for your wanting to feed to your four-legged hairball, woman.

So, you finally figured out I'm a woman, huh?

JPSartre12 Guest
    So, you finally figured out I'm a woman, huh?
    Irrational, illogical, opinionated........wasn't it obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by JPSartre12 View Post
    Irrational, illogical, opinionated........wasn't it obvious?
    Wow, Easyrider and Archangel are women?

I figured my voice in the video gave me away.

JPSartre12 Guest
    Wow, Easyrider and Archangel are women?

I figured my voice in the video gave me away.
    You made a video? Can I watch it in front of kids?
    J/k, all videos are blocked here. I'm assuming you meant the bird video from the first post, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JPSartre12 View Post
    You made a video? Can I watch it in front of kids?
    J/k, all videos are blocked here. I'm assuming you meant the bird video from the first post, right?
    What do you mean, all videos are blocked here ???
    I was able to see the video from the link...you can't?

If that's the case, go to YouTube, do a search of 'Sweet Pea Talking Starling' and open the one #8, 'after bath preening2' (the best one).

JPSartre12 Guest
    What do you mean, all videos are blocked here ???
    I was able to see the video from the link...you can't?

If that's the case, go to YouTube, do a search of 'Sweet Pea Talking Starling' and open the one #8, 'after bath preening2' (the best one).
    I meant my work laptop. Big companies have lots of blocks on videos. I'll have to watch it from home.