Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corporal Punishment in Southern States?

Corporal Punishment in Southern States?

So, has anyone else heard about this?

I'm in College, or going to college, right now, so I'm a bit surprised that they're just discovering this.

In many Southern States, Corporal Punishment is being allowed, and no one is doing anything about it. Just the other day, my Aunt sent my 12 year old cousin's principle a note saying that he had every right to use a paddle if she misbehaved.

And the paddle has been used.

This, of course, is not the only case of Corporal Punishment that I have seen, but, it is the one that hits home the most for me, because, it involves family, as you understand.

I, for one, find this slightly disturbing. Why would you allow someone else, that is not family, to hit you child? Why would you hit someone else's child?

And, the true question becomes this:

What are we gaining? Honestly?

The answer is this:

We're gaining children who hate the world because of what they had to go through in school. We're gaining more gang members, and Mob supporters.

Because, trust me, the only way anyone is going to believe that they are being hit for their own good is if it comes from their Mama, or Daddy. I used to get XXXXXX when the teacher pushed me when I was younger. How was I going to react to getting hit? I would have gotten mad at the teachers, and my Mother, for her allowing it to happen, and for them doing it.

I honestly think that we should change tons of things in this area, as this is just not right. I'm all for discipline, but, I also maintain the belief that you keep your hands on your own children. Therefor, I believe that we should just stick to calling the parents and letting them straighten it out. Trying to beat the children into submission helps nothing and no one. Especially when you really have a problem child, that already hates the world.

But, what do you think?
    If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I don't believe public schools in the US can do this anymore. Private schools - parents know what they are getting into up front as a rule.

I remeber it existed in Northern MN when I was a child and I don't particularly hate the world. I do think its a grey area - not every parent wants corporal punishment used on their child and there is room for abuse. But overall its hardly the end of the world one way or the other.

I do feel that beating rights for my son belong to me and his father.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

And I Agree

I agree.

But, at the rate we're going, the rights about going to belong to everyone but us [Or, rather, you parents]. Pretty soon, Corporal Punishment is going to be law, and spanking your child for discipline is going to be child abuse.

Nice, twisted law it is.
    If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Punishment

Ok, I was raised in Texas, went to public school. Even had the paddle to my bum quite a lot. In fact almost everyday in 4th grade. I did hate my teacher, but not my mom. In fact she didn't even know the frequency.

There are a few things to say here. One-parents must sign a permission form for their kids to be paddled at school. (I'm not sure they do so anymore.) So it is up to the parent to allow.

Schools have also developed several different methods of discipline. Including, detention, saturday detention, in school suspension, out of school suspension, and expulsion.

There's nothing wrong with corporal punishment. Some children need it.

Quote Originally Posted by josephdphillips View Post
    I agree..and I will guess that Josephphillips means mild corporal punishment not severe beatings

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    I agree..and I will guess that Josephphillips means mild corporal punishment not severe beatings
    Paddling is what I meant. I lament that it is no longer practiced in California.

Paddling is what I meant. I lament that it is no longer practiced in California.
    I thought so.
    We used to get the cane at school in the UK.
    The headmaster used to be able to get you on exactly the same spot on the bum cheek every time..something they learned at teachers college I believe.

I thought so. We used to get the cane at school in the UK. The headmaster used to be able to get you on exactly the same spot on the bum cheek every time..something they learned at teachers college I believe.
    Moral reasoning doesn't work with every student. Attitude correction of a physical nature never killed anyone.

Moral reasoning doesn't work with every student. Attitude correction of a physical nature never killed anyone.
    Apart from those young people who have died in young offender institutions after being forcibly "restrained".

Hitting kids doesn't solve anything, any more than hitting adults does. The kids who act up most in school will either wear corporal punishment as a badge of honour or already get beaten up at home so it won't make a difference. The discipline problems in school are a result of a lack of structure and boundaries at home. If parents don't demand good behaviour of their offspring then hitting them isn't going to get it.
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist” - Helder Camara
    “It is not the will of God for some to have everything and others to have nothing. This cannot be God” - Oscar Romero
    "It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder" - Einstein
    "We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him" - CS Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Bennett View Post
    Apart from those young people who have died in young offender institutions after being forcibly "restrained".

Hitting kids doesn't solve anything, any more than hitting adults does. The kids who act up most in school will either wear corporal punishment as a badge of honour or already get beaten up at home so it won't make a difference. The discipline problems in school are a result of a lack of structure and boundaries at home. If parents don't demand good behaviour of their offspring then hitting them isn't going to get it.
    He wasnt referring to forcibly restraining or beating up children, he was referring to mild corporal punishment...paddling, as he calls it

Hitting kids doesn't solve anything, any more than hitting adults does.
    I submit the application of pain to adults works just as well. It just takes more of it.
    The kids who act up most in school will either wear corporal punishment as a badge of honour or already get beaten up at home so it won't make a difference.
    Not if the paddling is done properly, and consistently.
    The discipline problems in school are a result of a lack of structure and boundaries at home. If parents don't demand good behaviour of their offspring then hitting them isn't going to get it.
    Parental demands don't always work. Why shouldn't parents get a little help from the schools?

A smack in the mouth can work wonders for adults too.....

Bring back the paddle

One time when I was in 8th grade, another kid and I got out of line in class one day. The teacher called both of us into his office. First him, then me. We both got the board across the butt. That teacher never again had a problem with me that school year. Maybe the school should have a policy of one whack per offense.

a smack in the mouth can work wonders for adults too.....

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." ~ Gerald Ford

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." ~ Adrian Rogers

Support gun control: hit your target when shooting!

I regret my user name.