Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Military and The Abortion Pill

The Military and The Abortion Pill

I heard that the Pentagon issued the order this February to stock
    the abortion pill in all military medical pharmacies world-wide.

It is illegal for the military to assist in abortions at present time.

So, how, tell me how, the military is NOT assisting in abortions by
    providing this pill to service women?

Quote Originally Posted by ServantOfChrist View Post

The military HAS to do God awful things to keep you safe and free.
    Give them some slack.

There's an abortion pill? News to me. I thought there was only the morning after pill and the birth control pill. Neither of which are even close to being an "abortion pill".
    "They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years, and [heck], we're not using it anymore."
    -Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by Shooterandproud View Post
    There's an abortion pill?
    I believe he refers to the fact that the morning after pill will keep a fertilized egg, if there is a fertilized egg, from implanting (which 60% don't on their own anyway but..). To the delusional, that's an abortion.
    Besides, the restriction is that no military funding, or health facilities can be used to perform an abortion. A pharmacy is a STORE.

Quote Originally Posted by flygirl View Post
    I believe he refers to the fact that the morning after pill will keep a fertilized egg, if there is a fertilized egg, from implanting (which 60% don't on their own anyway but..). To the delusional, that's an abortion.
    Besides, the restriction is that no military funding, or health facilities can be used to perform an abortion. A pharmacy is a STORE.
    Wow, that's really dumb.
    "They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years, and [heck], we're not using it anymore."
    -Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    The military HAS to do God awful things to keep you safe and free.
    Give them some slack.
    Slack about breaking the law?

There's an abortion pill? News to me. I thought there was only the morning after pill and the birth control pill. Neither of which are even close to being an "abortion pill".
    Oh my goodness. This is a trick called semantics.
    I guess you got sucked in.
    Yes, abortion is used as contraception unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by flygirl View Post
    I read that last November the FDA just lowered the age for over the counter purchase of the abortion pill to 17. It used to be 18.

So, is it a fact that now 17 year old girls (children, if you ask me)
    can
    WITHOUT A DOCTOR'S PRESCRIPTION buy these?

I'm assuming that the military personnel can also purchase without
    a prescription, then. So, there was significant talk about conscientious objection rights of military physicians. All of this talk and concern then were pointless with regards to physicians who aren't even in the loop.

So, WHO is paying to stock the governmental pharmacies??? Joe Q. Taxpayer---you and I!
    AND who is paying the wages of the service personnel, who then
    turn around and use it to purchase the pill? Joe Q. Taxpayer.

So where is the talk THEN about the conscientious objection
    of Joe Q. Taxpayer? Not a word peeped about this.

Oh my goodness. This is a trick called semantics.
    I guess you got sucked in.
    Yes, abortion is used as contraception unfortunately.
    Yea I know that, but there is no "abortion" pill that will terminate a fetus.
    -Jay Leno

Slack about breaking the law?
    Doesnt seem like they are.

There IS an abortion pill. It is called RU-486 IIRC, and is available at abortion clinics, and other similar places.

But the OP seems to be confusing the Morning after pill for the abortion pill, especially given their post - it was Plan B pills that the military started stocking.

Yea I know that, but there is no "abortion" pill that will terminate a fetus.
    Actually there is, RU-486 (AKA Mifepristone), which aborts upt to two months into the pregnancy.

But again, this poster sems to be talking about Plan B, which is NOT an abortion pill, and was what was allowed in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantOreo View Post
    There IS an abortion pill. It is called RU-486 IIRC, and is available at abortion clinics, and other similar places.
    Wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

But the OP seems to be confusing the Morning after pill for the abortion pill, especially given their post - it was Plan B pills that the military started stocking.
    In other words he's being dishonest. Typical behavior of a religious extremist.
    -Jay Leno

Several people have been quick to jump on SOC for labeling the "morning after" or levonorgestrel pill as an "abortion pill". Maybe I'm being to literal, but, it seems to me those people may have jumped to quickly.
    Medterms medical dictionary offers these two definitions of conception:

Conception: 1. The union of the sperm and the ovum. Synonymous with fertilization.
    2. The onset of pregnancy, marked by implantation of the blastocyst into the endometrium.
    If definition one is used then levonorgestrel can be legitimatly called an "abortion pill" as it prevents a blastocyst from implanting. To many and per definition one, this pill is acting after conception and as such is an abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch907 View Post
    Several people have been quick to jump on SOC for labeling the "morning after" or levonorgestrel pill as an "abortion pill". Maybe I'm being to literal, but, it seems to me those people may have jumped to quickly.
    Medterms medical dictionary offers these two definitions of conception:

If definition one is used then levonorgestrel can be legitimatly called an "abortion pill" as it prevents a blastocyst from implanting. To many and per definition one, this pill is acting after conception and as such is an abortion.
    Technically, you are correct however SOC is using the negative connotation of "abortion" in order to mislead potential readers. Furthermore, preventing a blastocyst from implanting is not aborting a pregnancy, it's preventing one in the first place.
    -Jay Leno