Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Challenge to Feminists

A Challenge to Feminists

I've started other threads over this issue but I've never managed to get a discussion. I challenge anyone interested to discuss wether or not hardcore metal bands are misogynist. I'm talking about hardcore bands with violent themed lyrics that sometimes depict rape and mutilation, bands such as Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, one or two songs by Nile, etc.

If you search the internet you will find songs by these bands that depict violence against women, along with times where their lyrics got them into legal trouble. For example, I remember an incident when Slayer was sued by a family who lost their daughter to a group of teenage boys, supposedly influenced by Slayer's lyrics. Also, until 2006 Cannibal Corpse could not play anything from their first three albums due to violent lyrics. In fact, the commercial sale of Butchered at Birth is completely banned in Australia to this day.

Once again, I welcome anyone interested to try to prove that bands such as these are misogynist.
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

I suppose that if the lyrics of their songs depict rape mutilation of women then one may reasonably believe that they are misogynist.

Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    I suppose that if the lyrics of their songs depict rape mutilation of women then one may reasonably believe that they are misogynist.
    There's plenty of arguments supporting both sides and I've wanted to discuss it with a very long time. I'd really like to discuss it with with the biggest fan of white males on here, but I don't know if she'll be interested.

Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    There's plenty of arguments supporting both sides and I've wanted to discuss it with a very long time. I'd really like to discuss it with with the biggest fan of white males on here, but I don't know if she'll be interested.
    I couldnt see her being able to resist posting an aside.
    Whether she would actually want to discuss it is another matter.
    I will watch with interest.

I would like to comment but I never watch or listen to junk like that. I very much dislike the mind pollution.

I suppose, however, that there are a large number of hyper-hormoned dimwits who get off on crapola like that.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    I would like to comment but I never watch or listen to junk like that. I very much dislike the mind pollution.
    It's not mind pollution or junk.

I suppose, however, that there are a large number of hyper-hormoned dimwits who get off on crapola like that.
    Just because someone listens to metal does not make them a "dimwit." And it certainly takes more talent to play a guitar like that than it does to get up on stage and swear and use words that would label you as a racist if you were white. And I do not listen to metal because I fantasize about the contents of the lyrics. Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse said it best: "We also think this stuff is horrible, and that's why we write about it."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Looks like your opponents don't have much to say, Ethmi.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." ~ Gerald Ford

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." ~ Adrian Rogers

Support gun control: hit your target when shooting!

I regret my user name.

Sure they are. And so? So is most contemporary music to some degree - if not in lyrical content, then in the way women are depicted in the videos. People don't do violence due to sing lyrics, they do it because they are troubled individuals. My aunt credits The Who with the suicide of her nephew while completely disregarding the fact that he was an addict with serious issues at home.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

I'm more of a women than most the guys on this forum. Do I qualify as a feminist? joke..... And I don't want to challenge you simply because your Mr T scares me....

Quote Originally Posted by jitobear View Post
    Sure they are. And so? So is most contemporary music to some degree - if not in lyrical content, then in the way women are depicted in the videos. People don't do violence due to sing lyrics, they do it because they are troubled individuals. My aunt credits The Who with the suicide of her nephew while completely disregarding the fact that he was an addict with serious issues at home.
    But what I'm asking is are these bands "misogynist" enough to be an issue?

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    But what I'm asking is are these bands "misogynist" enough to be an issue?
    For whom? Unless they actually rape or otherwise do actual harm to women they are protected by the first ammendment.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jitobear View Post
    For whom? Unless they actually rape or otherwise do actual harm to women they are protected by the first ammendment.
    What's the problem with that?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." ~ Gerald Ford

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." ~ Adrian Rogers

I regret my user name.

Quote Originally Posted by COBHC View Post
    What's the problem with that?

None. That was sort of my point to Ethmi. Or it was meant to be.

Lightbulb Environment background

You are rich? May be,but i am so pool.Daily work for a living. Instead of a financial crisis over instead of more and more serious,Is the god punish us? 2012 hurry :- (

I'll be perfectly honest: The Metal Culture is male-dominated. For the most part, the traditional Metal community considers bands that have feminine sounding vocals posers. Music that is loud, heavy, and macho-sounding is more or less desirable in Metal. That doesn't mean that a song can't have any emotion in it, but it has put heaviness over emotion.

YouTube - Lair Of The Minotaur - Warlord
    YouTube - Candlemass - Bewitched (The video is utterly retarded, but the song is a good example of doom metal.
    I'm guessing at that point in time, Messiah Marcolin was probably the 'heaviest' Metal singer out there. XD)
    YouTube - Slayer - Hell Awaits (Studio Version)
    YouTube - Motorhead - Dogs of War
    YouTube - Amon Amarth-The Hero
    Satyricon-Fuel For Hatred (uncensored) - rock videos | ROCKTUBE

That doesn't mean that women can't be serious metal vocalists. Female vocalists are fine as long as they don't use their natural voice. These bands all have female vocalists:

YouTube - Acid King - 2 Wheel Nation
    YouTube - Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Trauma Queen
    YouTube - Salome - Vivification of Ker

P.S. My speakers aren't working. So I can't guarantee that any of them are the actual song and not just some retarded parody. I'm 99% sure that all those songs are authentic.
    Last edited by COBHC; 06-07-2010 at 10:09 AM.

I regret my user name.