Poll: Do pop singers have a right to call themselves musicians?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do pop singers have a right to call themselves musicians?

Do pop singers have a right to call themselves musicians?

I'm talking about people like Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue, people who sing to synthesized music. This is an opinion poll, there is no right or wrong answer. In my personal opinion, no. I don't like rap, but even rappers are more talented than pop singers, at least rappers are doing something creative rather than getting on stage and using the same singing techniques that people have been using probably since cavemen discovered music.
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    I'm talking about people like Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue, people who sing to synthesized music. This is an opinion poll, there is no right or wrong answer. In my personal opinion, no. I don't like rap, but even rappers are more talented than pop singers, at least rappers are doing something creative rather than getting on stage and using the same singing techniques that people have been using probably since cavemen discovered music.

No they don't. Lip syncing does not count. I myself am a professional musician by trade. I teach students on a regular basis and am myself a music major. I practice, rehearse and am versed in basic and advanced theory as well as many styles of music.

Being a Saxophonist and a woodwind major I find these people a joke... I dare them to actually practice daily at their craft and get a degree in such. Their all flashes in the pan and a sad reminder of what people today consider "music".

Give me a solo by Michael Becker or a moving line by Gustav Holst, or a lyric by Billy Joel. THAT is music....

Not one scaled one 4/4 beat XXXX with the same rhythm and basic blandness that turns your stomach inside out at it's mediocrity....

A couple of them have good voices and a couple of them even write songs - but most of them are performers, not musicians.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

"Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

If you sing in the shower you are a musician, if you doodle you are an artist and if you share your opinions on a website you are a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by 99%BEEF View Post
    If you sing in the shower you are a musician, if you doodle you are an artist and if you share your opinions on a website you are a writer.
    XXXXXXXX. It takes more than you own opinion to make you a musician.... You alone need a trained ear. Why do you think these poor people on American Idol get grilled?

Their either tone deaf or have no concept of pitch....

Quote Originally Posted by 99%BEEF View Post
    Right. Also, if you download and install a game on your computer you are a programmer, if you change a tire you are a mechanic, and if you put a band-aid on a cut you are a doctor.
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    Right. Also, if you download and install a game on your computer you are a programmer, if you change a tire you are a mechanic, and if you put a band-aid on a cut you are a doctor.
    Lord help us when professions go the way of the music industry.....

I define music as human expression through sound aimed at invoking an emotive response.

Ability and originality, though preferred, are not essential.

Justin Timberlake doesn't deserve to be on the same list as BS.

He's in fact a very talented musician and writes much of his own music and lyrics.

He's quite good on the piano and obviously can sing.

He's a pretty fair dancer as well.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Quote Originally Posted by jazyjason View Post
    No they don't. Lip syncing does not count. I myself am a professional musician by trade. I teach students on a regular basis and am myself a music major. I practice, rehearse and am versed in basic and advanced theory as well as many styles of music.

Being a Saxophonist and a woodwind major I find these people a joke... I dare them to actually practice daily at their craft and get a degree in such. Their all flashes in the pan and a sad reminder of what people today consider "music".

Give me a solo by Michael Becker or a moving line by Gustav Holst, or a lyric by Billy Joel. THAT is music....

Not one scaled one 4/4 beat XXXX with the same rhythm and basic blandness that turns your stomach inside out at it's mediocrity....
    You have good taste in music, Billy Joel is a great artist. Being a pianist I do not believe that the pop stars of today have really any talent. They do not really sing that much better than those in those high school musical movies. They are probably only popular to teenagers and little kids with no taste that will listen to anything and I mean anything.
    -Why is it, that whenever a politician wants to lower debt, they add to it?

-B.UD.W.E.I.S.E.R. Because You Deserve What Every Individual Should Enjoy Regularly.

JPSartre12 Guest
    I voted YES. I don't know how you can classify people such as Isao Tomita as anything other than a musician. He just happens to play an electronic synthesizer instead of a guitar or piano. I don't believe that he sings, either, so he is purely a musician.

On edit: I was responding to the part about synthesized music and not singing.

LOL, no they don't. Not everyone has a purdy voice but anyone can sing.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." ~ Gerald Ford

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." ~ Adrian Rogers

Support gun control: hit your target when shooting!

I regret my user name.

Quote Originally Posted by 44j View Post
    You have good taste in music, Billy Joel is a great artist. Being a pianist I do not believe that the pop stars of today have really any talent. They do not really sing that much better than those in those high school musical movies. They are probably only popular to teenagers and little kids with no taste that will listen to anything and I mean anything.
    I wish to god I saw him in Virginia when I was stationed there... Couldn't afford the ticket though. Is he still touring? Oh and don't tell anyone but I sing Honesty in my car and at karaoke after my friends beg me too.

I got a very picky ear and I don't find my voice glamorous my any means but at least I'm not off pitch... I guess just unrefined is more near the mark. I got third place in a singing contest at a Gay bar once but of course they had to pick the country singing hunk.... sigh.....

But I got a free Red Bull! lol.... I sang Sinatra. If anyone insults Sinatra I will personally hunt you down.... No one insults old blue eyes....

I don't understand how people like Lady GaGa and Hannah Montana are becoming so popular when their work is just the same old cr4p Madonna was making in the 80s. While rock and metal have deviated into more subgenres than I have the patience to list, Pop music has barely changed in the last 30 years.
    Last edited by COBHC; 01-17-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." ~ Gerald Ford

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." ~ Adrian Rogers

Support gun control: hit your target when shooting!

I regret my user name.

Quote Originally Posted by COBHC View Post
    I don't understand how people like Lady GaGa and Hannah Montana are becoming so popular when their work is just the same old cr4p Madonna was making in the 80s. While rock and metal have deviated into more subgenres than I have the patience to list, Pop music has barely changed in the last 30 years.
    I know what you are saying but I think Lady GaGa's music is fabulous ,if not original..