Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new me

A new me

I am fed up with myself.

Is it possible to change who I am?

I am willing to try politics, religion or psychiatry.

Which would be the quickest and what sort of results can I expect?

I think I want my new personality to be obsessive compulsive or comfortably numb (no more uncertainty or boredom please).

Background Information.
    I believe personality is a tool used by the body to interface with the world. My current personality doesn’t make the most of my hardware and I desire an upgrade.

Meditate.

Go to South Dakota and look at the wide open spaces and the wide open skies.

But dress warmly.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Well I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are..

My best bet would be to use the same psych model used in cognitive-behavioural-therapy, it's the only one I've seen evidence works better than chance.

It basically says there are 3 elements to you;

1) Your thoughts
    2) Your emotions
    3) Your actions

Trying to change your thoughts directly is a perilous and usually futile process. You can't try to not think about something without thinking about it. (Go on, try not to think about drinking a beer, see how long you can do it for), and the process can result in odd psychological disorders and generally make you into a freak if pursued with sufficient vigour.

Emotions can be to some degree whipped around with diet, excercise, and drugs. But often the body rebalances itself and gets back to where it would have been anyway, which is why antidepressants are rarely more effective than doing nothing.

What you can control is your behaviour. Change your behaviour and you change the equilibrium of your emotions and thoughts. Voila, new personality.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

~ Gandhi

where do we find those 3 elements in us? in the brain? if so where ?

in the mind ? or in the minds of quacks aka psychologists ?

Ooops! you were joking, right ?

Yes, those things are intended as low-level-of-detail descriptions of physical events that occur in the brain and the rest of the body.

Actions in particular often make use of other body parts, including hands, legs and arms.

It's possible to describe events at a finer level of detail, ie, at the molecular level, but that level of detail is not useful for the topic under discussion, maybe it would be for someone developing a drug. "Decerease the activity of your serotonin receptors" is not actionable advice.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

~ Gandhi

Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%BEEF View Post
    I am fed up with myself.

Is it possible to change who I am?

I am willing to try politics, religion or psychiatry.

Which would be the quickest and what sort of results can I expect?

I think I want my new personality to be obsessive compulsive or comfortably numb (no more uncertainty or boredom please).

Background Information.
    I believe personality is a tool used by the body to interface with the world. My current personality doesn’t make the most of my hardware and I desire an upgrade.
    I too doubt you are being serious in your query, but if you are, the true christian walk is the most exciting experience this life offers. And the transformation is instantaneous once you sincerely receive Christ as your personal savior, since from that moment on Gods Holy Spirit comes into you and lives within you forever more. You immediately become a new creature in Him and from that point on for the rest of your life you are learning to be that new creature who more perfectly reflects your Father in heaven. Here's what I mean from the scriptural perspective.

2Cr 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, {he is} a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

Rom 8:9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

1Cr 1:30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Jhn 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Eph 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

If you're looking for an upgrade, Windows 7 is pretty good. Also, Karmic Koala just came out, and I like it as well. Don't go OSX though, that requires new hardware.
    "Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
    Isaac Asimov

"Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived"
    Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiote View Post
    Well I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are..

My best bet would be to use the same psych model used in cognitive-behavioural-therapy, it's the only one I've seen evidence works better than chance.

It basically says there are 3 elements to you;

1) Your thoughts
    2) Your emotions
    3) Your actions

Trying to change your thoughts directly is a perilous and usually futile process. You can't try to not think about something without thinking about it. (Go on, try not to think about drinking a beer, see how long you can do it for), and the process can result in odd psychological disorders and generally make you into a freak if pursued with sufficient vigour.

Emotions can be to some degree whipped around with diet, excercise, and drugs. But often the body rebalances itself and gets back to where it would have been anyway, which is why antidepressants are rarely more effective than doing nothing.

What you can control is your behaviour. Change your behaviour and you change the equilibrium of your emotions and thoughts. Voila, new personality.

Control your behaviour and voila new personality ? but isn't it the other way around, new personality et voila, new behaviour ?

control your behaviour ??? hmmmm

what is behaviour? a physical thing? and what is the 'who' that can control this thingy called "behaviour" ?

maybe it is the ghost in the machine, or the id, or is it the ego or .. the super ego ?

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiote View Post
    It's possible to describe events at a finer level of detail, ie, at the molecular level, but that level of detail is not useful for the topic under discussion, maybe it would be for someone developing a drug. "Decerease the activity of your serotonin receptors" is not actionable advice.
    that's right! kinda of explaining the game of cricket by explaining in detail the cricket ball, its materials, diameter, volume, mass

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    but isn't it the other way around, new personality et voila, new behaviour ?
    That would seem intuitive, but no.

what is behaviour? a physical thing? and what is the 'who' that can control this thingy called "behaviour" ?

maybe it is the ghost in the machine, or the id, or is it the ego or .. the super ego ?
    I doubt it's any of those things you read about on a sugar packet, but why don't you research it and get back to us. For the purposes of this discussion a detailed philosophy of mind is unneccessary.

~ Gandhi

well, your best bet is not something I would put my money on or my mind

I'd rather read what is printed on a cereal box than the mumbo-jumbo in psychology books. at least when in comes to what is written on cereal boxes the proof is in the eating.

philosophy of the mind ?

Philosophy of mind is a branch of modern analytic philosophy that studies the nature of the mind, mental events, mental functions, mental properties, consciousness and their relationship to the physical body, particularly the brain. The mind-body problem, i.e. the relationship of the mind to the body, is commonly seen as the central issue in philosophy of mind...

knock yourself out. If you are genuinely interested in coming to some reasoned conclusions to the questions you're posing, instead of just dribbling out whatever drifts into your brain at the time, the wikipedia article is as good a place to start as any. God forbid you one day pick up a book and learn in some more detail.

~ Gandhi

Oh! the mind-body problem !! I thought after thousands of years of arguing over it they had given up on that one by know. So I was wrong, they did solve it.

Yeah! I might enrol to learn how the modern analytical philosophers solved it because they did right? Otherwise it would be like enrolling in an engineering course, say civil engineering and coming out without a clue of how to build a bridge. It would be like false advertising, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by T.Q View Post
    If you're looking for an upgrade, Windows 7 is pretty good. Also, Karmic Koala just came out, and I like it as well. Don't go OSX though, that requires new hardware.
    I am vigorously restraining myself from grabbing your collar and giving you a shake!

Cursed tekkiephiles!
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Descartes anyone?