Poll: Which is worse?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is worse - Rape or Murder?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooterandproud View Post
    If you asking me whether I would rather die then be raped, then yes, I would rather die. I would die fighting. If he stuck a gun in my face I would hope that my 3 years of martial arts training were enough to disarm him. Same goes with a knife.

But, if you're asking me which crime is worse, it all depends. If a girl kills her sexually and physically abusive boyfriend after she decides she cannot take anymore vicious beatings, then in my eyes she should be let free. That scumbag deserved to die.

But if a guy breaks into a house and kills a family of four at 4 oclock in the morning in cold blood, then he should be sentanced to the maximum punishment of our legal system.

If a guy kidnaps a girl and rapes her repeatedly, then he should go to jail for a very very long time. If an 18 year old has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend, then he should be set free with a clean record. No matter what the laws say, you can never rape the willing. So I guess it all depends.
    I agree with this statement.
    I think that shooter does agree that there should be an age of consent but what age that is I dont know.

JPSartre12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    I agree with this statement.
    I think that shooter does agree that there should be an age of consent but what age that is I dont know.
    The devil's in the details, gansao.

Quote Originally Posted by JPSartre12 View Post
    The devil's in the details, gansao.

That's true SP. I think in an earlier thread shooter wanted the age of consent a little earlier than I found comfortable and I understand that a little GHB can make the unwilling seem willing but as a general statement I would agree with what he stated.

I would ask a different question: which is worse, rape or torture? As in, the torture you hear about done in dictatorships?

As far as I know, we somewhat overemphasize rape while forgetting that there are other acts that break the same barriers as rape does and inflict the same kind of psychological suffering.

Not saying rape isn't horrible - just saying there's a lot of other things that are equally as horrible but don't get the "publicity".

Quote Originally Posted by Iuris View Post
    I would ask a different question: which is worse, rape or torture? As in, the torture you hear about done in dictatorships?

As far as I know, we somewhat overemphasize rape while forgetting that there are other acts that break the same barriers as rape does and inflict the same kind of psychological suffering.

Not saying rape isn't horrible - just saying there's a lot of other things that are equally as horrible but don't get the "publicity".

A point I made earlier but compared rape to a humiliating beating.
    Wherever we suffer pain and humiliation and are unable to do something about it we can experience dreadful psychological trauma.

Although I have no pity for murderers and rapists I do have pity for people wrongly found guilty for these crimes.
    A man in England just did 27 years in prison for a rape and murder that he didnt do. the man that did it killed himself in 1988 and its only now his dna was matched with the murderers tissue found on the dead girl.
    Thats why I dont really like the death penalty and the hang 'em shoot 'em brigade.
    A good friend of mine did seven years on death row I believe it was in Nevada point is he didn't do it and was released(The Guyette Story).
    I know it CAN happen and if as soon as possible is when they are certain so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
    A good friend of mine did seven years on death row I believe it was in Nevada point is he didn't do it and was released(The Guyette Story).
    I know it CAN happen and if as soon as possible is when they are certain so be it.
    Seven years on death row for something that he didnt do.Now that would be traumatic!

Seven years on death row for something that he didnt do.Now that would be traumatic!
    I guess it was, he never talked a great deal about it, but he did clean up,didn't erase the seven years though.

MidnightLog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
    Are you taking about Harold "Pete" Guyette? Wasn't he sentenced to life without parole for the shootings, not death row? Didn't he get off because his confession was deemed unconstitutional?

Anyway, this does bring up an interesting legal point. A person can be falsely accused of murder but legally only for a murder that actually occured. A person can be falsely accused of rape but that rape need not ever have actually happened to obtain a conviction. This is a contributing factor to why murder is often treated as a capital offense but rape, even aggravated rape or child rape, is not. (Ironically, a murder conviction can be obtained on strictly circumstantial evidence, whereas rape is very difficult to prove without conclusive physical evidence.)

Legally then, murder is "worse" than rape. However, morally, if one looks at crime of all types as forms of theft, is not the theft of a life always equally heinous? In the case of murder the life is stolen abruptly and completely, but in cases of rape a life is stolen piecemeal over time depending on the severity of the offense. Perhaps certain rapes ought to be treated a capital crimes, worthy of permanently ridding society of the offender.

I think it depends on the angle. Rape most of the time but then I think of my family being left without me, all my children motherless and never being able to see them get through the various stages of their life, never enjoy my grandchildren or them enjoy me, etc and murder seems SO much worse. I've never been raped and while I could NEVER begin to fathom how traumatic something like that would be, I know eventually through counseling and the love of my family, friends and my faith I could get through it over time. Death, there's just no coming back from, no healing from it over time. So in that sense I think it would be worse.

I could NEVER begin to fathom how traumatic something like that would be
    You probably could. Being sent to a combat zone, death of someone close, an unexpected assault on a city street... there are plenty of things with similar psychological impacts to a rape. It isn't some unimaginable horror that exceeds the difficulties of any other problem you might encounter in your life.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

~ Gandhi

Depends on the victim.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." ~ Gerald Ford

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." ~ Adrian Rogers

Support gun control: hit your target when shooting!

I regret my user name.

Well, everything does, some people are depressed for years over the death of a pet cat.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

~ Gandhi

Depends on which one has more suffering for the survivor(s).
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

[QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiote View Post
    You probably could. Being sent to a combat zone, death of someone close, an unexpected assault on a city street... there are plenty of things with similar psychological impacts to a rape. It isn't some unimaginable horror that exceeds the difficulties of any other problem you might encounter in your life.
    But we treat it like it is, thus turning it into a psychological train wreck for the victims.

Back in the real world, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a paper cut and 10 being a slow decapitation with a hot wire, rape rates about a 4 on the "bad things that can happen to you" scale...and may not even rate that high. Even today through huge portions of Africa and S America women are commonly raped. Instead of seeing it as a horrible, life altering event that they may never recover from, those women see it almost as an unpleasant inconvenience. Like a trip to the dentist.

We should all be thankful that we live in societies where we have it so easy, and are so sheltered, that we can sit around pondering silly questions like "which is worse, rape or murder". Through most of human history we would have been laughed at...and then possibly raped....for even asking a question that ridiculous.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. —Samuel Adams