Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are the Biblical Faiths the ONLY religions on the planet?

POST #56
    I find it hard to believe nobody can answer that?Usually someone would be quick
    with a quote from the Bible.Or is it because I said don't tell me "the Bible says?"

So is there a correctreligion or belief?everyone is going to agree on?
    and its not that I don't think the Bible's wrong I JUST WANT THE PROOF

And the Bible in it's self isn't the proof I want.

Quote Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
    POST #56
    I find it hard to believe nobody can answer that?Usually someone would be quick
    with a quote from the Bible.Or is it because I said don't tell me "the Bible says?"
    Okay. Post #56;

Exactly who is to say what is the right religion or belief?Be it atheist or Christianity or any thing else for that matter?Wars are fought over what is the correct religion or set of beliefs.

O.K.it seems to be Christianity vs.Atheist but I can't help going into it a bit more
    or try to find out what the big argument is.
    No one can say what the right religion or belief is, and never will, at least until the end of time. (when Christ returns, if you're a Christian )

Wars aren't fought, the big argument isn't, over one person trying to convince one other person that his/her religion is the right one, the conflicts happen because people tend to want their own belief/religon represented in their government. A completely neutral government is difficult to maintain. Neutral = small, and successful countries just can't seem to keep their governments small.
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    It's holding up in truth, but diminishing in relevance. This is a mainly Western forum, so the dominant religion here is Christianity. That doesn't imply that others don't exist.
    I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying they're irrelevent when discussing western politics. This thread starter seems to constantly appeal to them (only basically, since he obviously has little knowledge of them) when western politics are discussed.

That as may be. However, it still doesn't mean that no other faiths exist.

I believe both label themselves as agnostics, although I may be wrong - OC may indeed be a deist. You can argue against YEC on a science-based platform and still be either of those, as I hope I've shown.
    YEC can, and is, argued against from just about every other position on the planet, often in unification. So atheism, and just about every non-Christian religion in the world really do have something in common, despite the mocking of that fact from the thread starter.

However, what they are is irrelevant. I was asking for examples of what they were pretending to be.
    And I gave one example - Deism. And I made clear that they're pretty hesitant of commiting to any one belief. The best way to find out about their beliefs would be for you to ask them. You may have better luck at finding out from them than I do.

Where is your evidence of their 'masquarade'?
    That there is NO DIFFERENCE in their posts from atheists posts. And there are plenty of admitted atheists here.

I would welcome a discussion on the various merits of 'new atheism'. I suspect that it would become quickly derailed and used as a quotemine by Archie, however.
    You should start one! Tell you what, you police the derailing of it by Archangel, and I'll police the derailing of it by 10 or 20 angry atheists. I hereby predict that I will have the larger burden.

It's been a long time since I've argued against 'Christianity' in general - back in the days when I did, I was much more of an angry atheist than I am now. I do argue against specific forms of 'Christianity' - YEC, for example, or other cases of biblical literalism, especially regarding the OT, but that's neither here nor there - so do many other Christians on this site, such as Matthew or Jo Bennet.

Technically I'm an atheist because, given that I 'don't know' - the base state when insufficient evidence is available either way is that of disbelief, just as you don't believe in pixies or invisible pink unicorns, despite being unable to disprove them. If you're particularly interested in my basic theology, here probably makes for a good start.

EDIT: Pre-emptively... Note that in that thread, I made sure it specifically states that this is 'why I'm an agnostic atheist with relation to Christianity. I'm equally an agnostic atheist in relation to all other faiths, but I know less about them, so my post would have been a lot shorter! Note also that the thread-starter was a Christian (Matthew) who specifically referenced God - so my basing the post on Christianity was not in error.
    You do seem like a sincere poster, I appreciate anyone who posts with civility and states their position honestly. Part of the interest in being here for me is to try to seperate the sincere ones from the phony ones.
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

[quote/]No one can say what the right religion or belief is, and never will, at least until the end of time. (when Christ returns, if you're a Christian )quote]
    No offence,but you seem to already have your mind made up.(thats cool)

Thirty Years' War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(just an after thought.)
    ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades
    Wars aren't fought, the big argument isn't, over one person trying to convince one other person that his/her religion is the right one, the conflicts happen because people tend to want their own belief/religon represented in their government. A completely neutral government is difficult to maintain. Neutral = small, and successful countries just can't seem to keep their governments small.
    No, not one person trying to convince the other(though here sometimes its hard to tell).Say Iran for instance and not all, but the hardcore
    fundamentalists.They would just as soon see us smote out of existence.

Got it. Marc has absolutely no evidence of anything he says, but since his argument is based on what he wants the world to be like rather than what it is, who he calls closet atheists are closet atheists because he deems it so. Furthermore, by the same logic, Shadow and Mathew are not Christians because he deems it so.

Logic, evidence and reason are irrelevant. If Marc deems it to be so, therefore it is. The sky is not blue because Marc deems it red. Marc thinks you're a Communist, therefore you are. Idle speculation is all that is necessary to convict.

Good luck in court with that kind of thinking.
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

I'm a Christian and recognize there are many other religions out there (of course I believe they are all false but that's a whole nother debate ) But I generally try to find out what religious background/faith one is coming from in order to understand them better before trying to really discuss anything of a religious nature.

I find the biblical faiths to be the most obviously fake faiths. Islam, Christianity and Judaism are all tied together through Abraham and Moses.

To be honest, I am kindov a dictatorial atheistic type.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear View Post
    I find the biblical faiths to be the most obviously fake faiths. Islam, Christianity and Judaism are all tied together through Abraham and Moses.

To be honest, I am kindov a dictatorial atheistic type.
    Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism are bound together too..kindov

Quote Originally Posted by obvious_child View Post
    Several people here seem to think that disagreeing with interpretations over YEC and the Biblical God equate to the disagreer being an atheist.....So therefore, do you agree that the Biblical faiths are the ONLY religion on the planet and if you don't agree or believe with them, you're an atheist?
    First, I had to look up YEC. Good Lord. God gave us free agency and a brain. I think the expectation was that we'd wisely use both. God created the Universe and set the Natural Laws for us. Those who refuse to believe in the Natural Universe are, IMHO, denying a gift from God.

Second, no, I do not believe believing in another religion is the same as being an atheist. Although I am a Christian, I also believe "God is too big for any one religion". God is bigger than the Universe. Humans can barely wrap their little simian brains around the size of their own planet. To say they comprehend God or "know what God wants" is as arrogant as an ant believing it fully comprehends what it is to be a human being.