Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69

Thread: Are the Biblical Faiths the ONLY religions on the planet?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by gansao View Post
    Leonard Sachs is alive and well, living in Penfolds head.
    Everybody go ooooh!

    If you had a point, would you even be here?
    " ... It's not as though he proved anything, he only refuted my evidence. ..." Archangel 04.01.09

    "Obama is not a brown-skinned anti-war socialist who gives away free healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus."

    “Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.”

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Limeyland
    Posts
    7,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    If you had a point, would you even be here?


    Hippopotomonstrosesquippediliophobia?

    Look everyone! Penfolds scrabbling for his dictionary!

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    all you have to show is that I have positively argued that anyone who follows another religion other than christianity is in fact an atheist.
    Uh, no, all we have to find is a "statement being directly made or even implied by any member that unless one accept the christian version of events, then they are atheists". I did just that. Maybe I should start repeating all of my previous posts in this one...

    Mind you, you have in this very thread argued that a Wiccan - a religion other than Christianity - is an atheist... Hoisted by your own petard?
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head.

  4. #49
    Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    Uh, no, all we have to find is a "statement being directly made or even implied by any member that unless one accept the christian version of events, then they are atheists". I did just that. Maybe I should start repeating all of my previous posts in this one...

    Mind you, you have in this very thread argued that a Wiccan - a religion other than Christianity - is an atheist... Hoisted by your own petard?
    Would you please try being honest, just once Iangb? I never said that a member was an atheist because she was a wiccan, I called her an atheist based of her arguments which appeared to be atheistic in their nature and content. In every case that I called someone an atheist who was actually a secular humanist, it was based on that reasoning. Never though, have I said that someone who believes in a religion other than christianity is an atheist, and that is what you liars are attempting to assert. Only you vipers would claim that I am calling idolaters who worship false gods, atheists.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    Would you please try being honest, just once Iangb? I never said that a member was an atheist because she was a wiccan, I called her an atheist based of her arguments which appeared to be atheistic in their nature and content. In every case that I called someone an atheist who was actually a secular humanist, it was based on that reasoning. Never though, have I said that someone who believes in a religion other than christianity is an atheist, and that is what you liars are attempting to assert. Only you vipers would claim that I am calling idolaters who worship false gods, atheists.
    You called her an atheist because she said, to quote, "I could care less if your God thinks I'm abhorrent or the best thing since sliced bread. I don't believe in him, so I really don't care what he has to say."

    That's not necessarily an atheistic comment, it's an 'unbeliever' one.

    With regards to the bold - as I posted above - Wicca is a religion, complete with gods. It's hardly atheism, and it's hardly secular humanism. It's a religion other than Christianity, and you called someone who believes in it an atheist.

    I'm not entirely sure how you feel that you can deny this. You didn't call her an atheist because she was a Wiccan, but you still called her an atheist. How is this a lie?
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head.

  6. #51
    Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    You called her an atheist because she said, to quote, "I could care less if your God thinks I'm abhorrent or the best thing since sliced bread. I don't believe in him, so I really don't care what he has to say."

    That's not necessarily an atheistic comment, it's an 'unbeliever' one.

    With regards to the bold - as I posted above - Wicca is a religion, complete with gods. It's hardly atheism, and it's hardly secular humanism. It's a religion other than Christianity, and you called someone who believes in it an atheist.

    I'm not entirely sure how you feel that you can deny this. You didn't call her an atheist because she was a Wiccan, but you still called her an atheist. How is this a lie?
    You are lying again Iangb. You say, to quote, yet you quote nothing at all. Show where Brigid and I were discussing her wiccan religion and I called her an atheist for not accepting the christian belief system. Stop twisting facts and reality in order to misrepresent the truth of what I represent here. Quote the specific post where I did what you are accusing me of doing, you pathetic liar.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    You are lying again Iangb. You say, to quote, yet you quote nothing at all. Show where Brigid and I were discussing her wiccan religion and I called her an atheist for not accepting the christian belief system. Stop twisting facts and reality in order to misrepresent the truth of what I represent here. Quote the specific post where I did what you are accusing me of doing, you pathetic liar.
    ...that's what I've been doing. If first quoted it in my first post in this thread, and I just posted it in my previous one. I'll quote it again for you:

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb, linked post
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel in 'post the first'
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigid, just before 'Post the first'
    In any case, I could care less if your God thinks I'm abhorrent or the best thing since sliced bread. I don't believe in him, so I really don't care what he has to say.
    Note the bolded, it is the same statement of rejection and denial that all unbelievers make.
    ...
    So now you and your atheist cohorts can come back at me...
    Note for added irony that Brigid is, I believe, a Wiccan. Who Archangel calls 'atheist' because she doesn't believe in God.

    Post the second
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel in 'post the second'
    Quote Originally Posted by antonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    You support, condone and defend the murder of 1.4 million babies per year in America alone through abortions.
    What rubbish
    Only in the mind of an ignorant atheist who has no concept of the consequences of unforgiven sins is the truth I spoke considered rubbish.
    A second example of how 'only an ignorant atheist' would disagree with Christian-based views ('the concept of unforgiven sins').
    Then add to that more recent quotes of yours, that you thought TQ was an atheist because he completely rejects the concept of a living and personal God.

    That's three quotes. As explained many times before, these are examples of you stating that someone must be an atheist because they reject Christianity.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head.

  8. #53
    Archangel Guest
    You insist on telling me what I believe when I continue to tell you that Idolatry, as in worshiping false gods is not atheism which is a belief that no God exists at all. OK Iangb, continue to tell me what I believe. You are as thickheaded and corrupted as the obnoxious child is. But life is too short to waste attempting to bang my head through a brick wall which is what attempting to reason with you is like.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    You insist on telling me what I believe when I continue to tell you that Idolatry, as in worshiping false gods is not atheism which is a belief that no God exists at all. OK Iangb, continue to tell me what I believe. You are as thickheaded and corrupted as the obnoxious child is. But life is too short to waste attempting to bang my head through a brick wall which is what attempting to reason with you is like.
    I'm not telling you what you believe - in fact, I made it perfectly clear in my first post here that you didn't actually think that all non-christians are atheists. I'm simply repeating what you have said - which indicates that you do.

    If what you have said is contrary to what you believe, that's a problem that you're going to have to deal with yourself. Flinging ad homs at me won't solve your problems.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,525
    Simple logic dictates that if you call someone who disagrees with you an atheist because they disagree with you, you think that people who disagree with you are atheists independent of their religion.

    Archie doing this on a regular basis and then saying he doesn't do it is hysterical. We have at least 3 quotes of him doing just that and yet he denies it.

    He's like Nixon, except he'd deny that he was part of watergate even when the tapes were played.
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon,Linn County
    Posts
    1,991
    Exactly who is to say what is the right religion or belief?Be it atheist or Christianity or any thing else for that matter?Wars are fought over what is the correct religion or set of beliefs.

    O.K.it seems to be Christianity vs.Atheist but I can't help going into it a bit more
    or try to find out what the big argument is.

    Maybe there is or was a Christ (bet he looked middle eastern)or a Buddha,
    Allah.

    guess it depends on what you believe.

    Chew on this:Your an American Indian say 300 yrs ago and your religion or belief is
    in the Manitou's or indian spirits,and you believe when you die you go to let us
    say the happy hunting grounds or cross the river and meet up with everyone you knew,endless forest bountiful game.

    You die,WHOA your not in Kansas any more,your not anywhere you ever imagined, instead your standing in front of these big golden gates.What know
    was your whole religion or beliefs a lie?or is your religion or beliefs what you
    yourself make them or you come together as a collective with others,and
    practice your religion or beliefs?

    So really what is it?is there any proof?and don't give me this well the Bible says.So doe's the Koran for that matter and every other Holly book of every religion or belief.

    Notice how I say religion or belief?Its how I feel inside not like a religion but I
    believe I've been a good hubby and father and a pretty decent person most of the time.

    So if there is a better place I'm probably in so I don't have to worry about religion's or beliefs as long as I believe in me.

    RELIGION

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    northern Ky.
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    ...actually, from what I can remember the last time we had a non-Christian religion discussed on the boards, Archangel attacked them as much as the atheists, agnostics etc did. Eanassir.
    That is correct, and how it went proves my point. Eanassir posted, atheists and agnostics took exception to it, and Archangel took exception to it identically. Rather than join with him or harmonize with him in any way, you said this;

    I _would_ like to stick you and Archie in a locked room for a day or so with a copy of your respective holy books each.
    Archangel quit posting, and Eanassir did the last 4 posts with no responses!! When was the last time a Christian got the last word like that? If Archangel would have continued posting, the thread would have become only about him.

    It doesn't happen that often, however, because the boards are dominated by the Christian spectrum. On other boards I've visited where members have more varied beliefs, they equally get called into question by everyone else. Even on these forums, it's not uncommon to see two different branches of Christianity 'team up with the atheists' on a particular point.
    I know - traditional, Bible believing Christians are always the opposition. Two-way conflicts. My post #29 is still holding up very well, isn't it?

    This may be true, but it is irrelevant. We aren't talking about the influence of non-Christian religion, just it's existence.
    You weren't the starter of the thread. The one who started it has, in the past, had great difficulty understanding that far-east religions have little to do with the U.S. government. He used the word "planet", and often implies "planet" when discussing something about only the western world.

    Originally posted by marc9000] It appears that on message boards such as these, there seem to be a significant number of atheist posters who masquerade as members of some insignificant (in the U.S) religion, and then join with actual atheists to attack Christianity, as if their opinion my be somehow more valid just because they aren’t atheist. Their one common denominator is a worship of science.
    Quote Originally Posted by iangb
    Examples?
    Obvious_child and T.Q.

    Flying Spaghetti Monster not accepted, as it's a thought experiment and famously so.
    Obvious_childs is Deist if I remember right - do you accept that? T.Q's may very well be FSM - he never says.

    Ironically, I made one about 20 hours ago.
    That was just a vague one-liner - I'm talking about detailed discussions, similar to the details in the 10 to 1 or 30 to 1 discussions that traditional Christians often find themselves in here.

    I wouldn't say I debate in the same style as the other two (TQ & OC) - in fact, I'm not a fan of confrontational debating at all (with the odd exception). However, I certainly class myself as an agnostic.
    From Huxley, (the originator of the term agnostic) to yourself, I never could understand how an 'I don't know' position has you arguing so vehemently for atheism and against Christianity.
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    northern Ky.
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by obvious_child View Post
    Not when you take in to account that marc has the same ideas as Archie.

    Notice he "forgets" that Mathew and Shadow never get the kind of XXXX that him and Archie do.
    I don't forget it at all - it's very clear. They're "modern" Christians - either atheists masquerading as Christians, or they actually think they are Christians even if the disregard the Bible and make Christianity anything they want it to be. Who can really say which they are - atheists who love them don't care. As long as they help in the conflict to "eradicate" (Dawkins word) Christianity.



    Simple, because Marc like Archie believe if you disagree, you're an atheist. Remember Marc called himself an atheist when he said that the Jewish family who sued to remove the Cross from state land were atheists. Remember, we're not dealing with intelligent people here.
    I called myself atheist? Are you PWI again? (posting while intoxicated)
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    northern Ky.
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by obvious_child View Post
    By your logic, you believe that Archie's view is the only interpretation of Christanity and that all other views, such as Shadow's and Mathews aren't.

    Thanks for clearing that up.
    You're welcome, hopefully it's clear enough for you. But just in case it isn't, here's a little more clarity; The view that he puts fourth, and the view that I put fourth are not detailed, controversial views, as in one denomination. They're very general, like "In the beginning, God created", or the very basics of salvation. Views of Christianity that throw creation out, that mock others who point to and discuss Christ's sacrifice, simply is not a Christian view. Anyone can call themself a Christian - Richard Dawkins could be drunk in a bar and call himself a Christian, but that doesn't really mean he is one.

    I'll file this away when you lie in the future about not tying interpretations to the entire religion to prove, you like Archie are a big fat liar.
    File anything away that you want - if it's that important to you, if it bothers you that much. I don't file away anything of yours.

    Apparently to you people, the fact that Shadow and Mathew are Christians and DON'T get the same flak as your peanut gallery makes them not Christian.
    Their anger at mentions of Christ, their parroting of atheist talking points concerning scripture, WHAT THEY ACTUALLY SAY makes them difficult to distinguish between actual Christians and atheists who masquerade as Christians. Do you believe it's completely impossible for an athiest to masquerade as a Christian?

    Logic and sanity however would obviously point out that it's not Christanity per se, it's your FRACKED UP INTERPRETATIONS.
    You don't show yourself to be an authority on Christian interpretation.
    Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in prison?

  15. #60
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    That is correct, and how it went proves my point. Eanassir posted, atheists and agnostics took exception to it, and Archangel took exception to it identically. Rather than join with him or harmonize with him in any way, you said this;
    [snip]
    Archangel quit posting, and Eanassir did the last 4 posts with no responses!! When was the last time a Christian got the last word like that? If Archangel would have continued posting, the thread would have become only about him.
    By that point, pretty much the entire forum had given up on Eanassir as either a cause not worth contradicting or a joker suffering from Poe's Law. I don't know what Archangel's opinion on the matter was, but it was certainly mine, which is why I stopped posting.

    There are some people who will automatically bounce off of each other when debating. However, that doesn't include 'all atheists', by any means.

    I know - traditional, Bible believing Christians are always the opposition. Two-way conflicts. My post #29 is still holding up very well, isn't it?
    It's holding up in truth, but diminishing in relevance. This is a mainly Western forum, so the dominant religion here is Christianity. That doesn't imply that others don't exist.

    You weren't the starter of the thread. The one who started it has, in the past, had great difficulty understanding that far-east religions have little to do with the U.S. government. He used the word "planet", and often implies "planet" when discussing something about only the western world.
    That as may be. However, it still doesn't mean that no other faiths exist.

    Obvious_child and T.Q.
    Obvious_childs is Deist if I remember right - do you accept that? T.Q's may very well be FSM - he never says.
    I believe both label themselves as agnostics, although I may be wrong - OC may indeed be a deist. You can argue against YEC on a science-based platform and still be either of those, as I hope I've shown.

    However, what they are is irrelevant. I was asking for examples of what they were pretending to be. Where is your evidence of their 'masquarade'?

    That was just a vague one-liner - I'm talking about detailed discussions, similar to the details in the 10 to 1 or 30 to 1 discussions that traditional Christians often find themselves in here.
    You just asked for 'an example that a non-atheist takes exception to Dawkins, Hitchens and the like'. I provided you with one.

    I would welcome a discussion on the various merits of 'new atheism'. I suspect that it would become quickly derailed and used as a quotemine by Archie, however.

    From Huxley, (the originator of the term agnostic) to yourself, I never could understand how an 'I don't know' position has you arguing so vehemently for atheism and against Christianity.
    It's been a long time since I've argued against 'Christianity' in general - back in the days when I did, I was much more of an angry atheist than I am now. I do argue against specific forms of 'Christianity' - YEC, for example, or other cases of biblical literalism, especially regarding the OT, but that's neither here nor there - so do many other Christians on this site, such as Matthew or Jo Bennet.

    Technically I'm an atheist because, given that I 'don't know' - the base state when insufficient evidence is available either way is that of disbelief, just as you don't believe in pixies or invisible pink unicorns, despite being unable to disprove them. If you're particularly interested in my basic theology, here probably makes for a good start.

    EDIT: Pre-emptively... Note that in that thread, I made sure it specifically states that this is 'why I'm an agnostic atheist with relation to Christianity. I'm equally an agnostic atheist in relation to all other faiths, but I know less about them, so my post would have been a lot shorter! Note also that the thread-starter was a Christian (Matthew) who specifically referenced God - so my basing the post on Christianity was not in error.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •