Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Joy of Motherhood ... at a Young Age

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    7,822

    Joy of Motherhood ... at a Young Age

    She is an illiterate woman from the tribal areas of Pakistan who almost died in childbirth a year after marrying at the age of 12. She suffered a horrific injury during labor called a fistula that left her incontinent and smelly, and for the next 13 years she was confined to her house ó never stepping outside for shame at the way she was leaking wastes....

    Here in Pakistan, a woman dies every 35 minutes because of problems from pregnancy or childbirth, according to United Nations figures.

    The underlying reason is that maternal health has never been a priority globally, either to poor countries or to foreign aid donors like the United States. The only exceptions are Britain and Norway, and I hope the Obama administration will back them up.

    In this part of Pakistan, Sindh Province, there is a saying that goes: If your cow dies, that is a tragedy; if your wife dies, you can always get another.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/op...19kristof.html

    Oh yeah, women are cheaper than cows. But the fetus is utterly precious, sacred, something next to God.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

    ďWar is an American way to teach geography,Ē British soldier

    War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. Ė Pindar

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,718
    Most pro lifers are also pro death penalty.

    I guess they donít much care for grown ups but they really like babies, that is until they grow up to be criminals.

    Maybe they just want more criminals to execute?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Most pro lifers are also pro death penalty.

    I guess they donít much care for grown ups but they really like babies, that is until they grow up to be criminals.

    Maybe they just want more criminals to execute?
    wow...or maybe they want to let individuals be responsible for their actions. Oh no could never be that!
    ~One of the most annoying things in the world is blatant hypocrisy not only can everyone see it but no one is willing to admit to it~
    ~Academic snobs are some of the most pathetic people in the world they have little common sense but because they have a degree act as if they know the world~

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the nightmares of right wingers.
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Most pro lifers are also pro death penalty.

    I guess they donít much care for grown ups but they really like babies, that is until they grow up to be criminals.

    Maybe they just want more criminals to execute?
    I would say that they love fetuses.

    Once they are real, live, born people, their interest disappears.

  5. #5
    antonia Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/op...19kristof.html

    Oh yeah, women are cheaper than cows. But the fetus is utterly precious, sacred, something next to God.
    Too bad the liberal NYT doesn't care more about health care in the United States, at present. At this critical juncture in the road.

    The Democrats may be losing a lot of voters.

    Especially women.

  6. #6
    antonia Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    I would say that they love fetuses.

    Once they are real, live, born people, their interest disappears.
    The Pro-Choice Democrats don't love born people that much, either. Our representatives are signed, sealed and delivered over to the health insurance industry. Displayed concern just a vehicle for ruthless, driven greed and profit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuichi View Post
    wow...or maybe they want to let individuals be responsible for their actions. Oh no could never be that!
    wow, thatís quite an argument.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the nightmares of right wingers.
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by antonia View Post
    The Pro-Choice Democrats don't love born people that much, either. Our representatives are signed, sealed and delivered over to the health insurance industry. Displayed concern just a vehicle for ruthless, driven greed and profit.
    Just so!!

    We are witnessing an arrogant display of the power that money has over the Congress in Big Health's attempt to scuttle health care reform.

    My two Blue Dog Democratic Senators refuse to stick their necks out and take a stand.

    If JFK were writing today, he would have a new book called Profiles in Cowardice, and my two Senators would make up the first two chapters.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    wow, thatís quite an argument.
    Well if their reasoning hasn't sunk in by now

    Anyways I'm pro-choice and pro-death penalty. I do believe in individual responsibility which is why I'm pro-choice for males as well.

    What's your argument?
    ~One of the most annoying things in the world is blatant hypocrisy not only can everyone see it but no one is willing to admit to it~
    ~Academic snobs are some of the most pathetic people in the world they have little common sense but because they have a degree act as if they know the world~

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stratosphere baby Stratosphere!
    Posts
    2,047
    Ryu beat me to the punch. I too, am logically consistent, in that I am pro-choice and pro-death penalty. It is kinda funny that the majority of pro-lifers are pro-death penalty and the majority of anti-death penalty people are pro-choice. Go figure.
    -Computer $1500.00
    -Monthly internet connection $35.00
    -Monthly electricity bill $245.00
    -Convincing a Socialist that incentive is the mother of motivation,

    Priceless!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by CUNxTime View Post
    Ryu beat me to the punch. I too, am logically consistent, in that I am pro-choice and pro-death penalty. It is kinda funny that the majority of pro-lifers are pro-death penalty and the majority of anti-death penalty people are pro-choice. Go figure.
    I'm pro-choice but anti-death penalty. I figure hang'ins too good for 'em!
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,052

    Exclamation Consistency?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    I'm pro-choice but anti-death penalty. I figure hang'ins too good for 'em!
    Kill babies for convienience and make convicted criminals suffer needlessly?

    I actually do see some consistency there,.... but it's not the logical kind CUNx was getting at.
    "How can a government that has the authority to grant or to deny "personhood" to a prebirth child not also have the authority to define "marriage" as it sees fit to address the general welfare of the nation?" - Chuz Life

    Something smells!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Kill babies for convienience and make convicted criminals suffer needlessly?
    As if you've ever proven the case you flew in on.
    And what is needless about lifers suffering? As long as it's not cruel and unusual I see nothing wrong with a long life of punishment and suffering.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,052

    From my vantage point,...

    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    As if you've ever proven the case you flew in on.
    And what is needless about lifers suffering? As long as it's not cruel and unusual I see nothing wrong with a long life of punishment and suffering.
    From my perspective, your comment;
    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    I'm pro-choice but anti-death penalty. I figure hang'ins too good for 'em!
    ,... smacks of cruelty and is more than a bit un-usual. You seem to prefer to see the convicted suffer more than not.

    That's to me - both; Cruel and un-usual.
    "How can a government that has the authority to grant or to deny "personhood" to a prebirth child not also have the authority to define "marriage" as it sees fit to address the general welfare of the nation?" - Chuz Life

    Something smells!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    ,... smacks of cruelty and is more than a bit un-usual. You seem to prefer to see the convicted suffer more than not.
    Not more, for a longer period.

    That's to me - both; Cruel and un-usual.
    But you've got difficulties with definitions as previously illustrated.
    "They asked if I had found Jesus and I didn't even know He was missing."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •