Thread: Too Much Overpraising?

Too Much Overpraising?

What did Mr. Weissbourd's research tell him? That nowadays "well-intentioned adults undermine children's moral and emotional development." Parents have abandoned the "moral task" of rearing children, he says, and are more concerned about fostering their happiness than their goodness. Therapeutic interaction takes precedence over moral instruction; intimacy is maintained at the cost of authority.

"Blaming peers and popular culture lets adults off the hook," Mr. Weissbourd writes. "The parent-child relationship is at the center of the development of all the most important moral qualities, including honesty, kindness, loyalty, generosity, a commitment to justice, the capacity to think through moral dilemmas, and the ability to sacrifice for important principles."
    From a Wall Street Journal review of Weissbourd's book, The Parents We Mean to Be.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

This burdensome sort of parenting may also play a role in parents who coerce teachers to give their kids higher grades than the kids deserve.
    Brother, you can believe in stones as long as you do not hurl them at me. Wafa Sultan

“War is an American way to teach geography,” British soldier

War is sweet to those who have not tasted it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach. – Pindar

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    This burdensome sort of parenting may also play a role in parents who coerce teachers to give their kids higher grades than the kids deserve.
    At least they show some interest in their child's future. Even if they show it in a negative way.

I have a 10 yr old, 13 and a 15 yr old.

What has this generation of parents gone through that has been so dramatic that makes them want to make thier child's life so stress and responsibility free?

Or is it the lack of drama that has lead us to believe that our children should have "all the things" we didn't have?

I don't raise my kids that way but I see how thier peers are being raised.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Steamroller View Post
    I have a 10 yr old, 13 and a 15 yr old.

What has this generation of parents gone through that has been so dramatic that makes them want to make thier child's life so stress and responsibility free?

Or is it the lack of drama that has lead us to believe that our children should have "all the things" we didn't have?

I don't raise my kids that way but I see how thier peers are being raised.
    I assure you that, come high school, your child's life will be anything but "stress and responsibility free".
    "They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years, and [heck], we're not using it anymore."
    -Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by simone View Post
    From a Wall Street Journal review of Weissbourd's book, The Parents We Mean to Be.
    Now that's something I can agree with.
    [QUOTE=Brady;363469]When I was a kid I did lots of things like playing with fire and torturing animals even though adults told me not to.[/QUOTE]
    The admission of a sociopathic serial killer.

[QUOTE=Penfold;363126]No Personal attacks, insults, name calling, offensive generalizations, or labeling.[/QUOTE]
    He should practice what he preaches.

The three duties of government: 1. Protect property 2. preserve contracts 3. provide for the rule of law.