Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Tolerance

Religious Tolerance

I wish for a new age of religious tolerance, where people/leaders/followers/whatever of all religions can gather and discuss the differences between them and their beliefs.

Points will be listened to, questions asked, and knowledge gained. At the end of each gathering people will discuss over coffee what they have heard, and can fundamentally disagree with each other's ideals as long as they can shake hands about it, say "see ya next time", and drive home with a wider knowledge of the world.

There will always be people who cannot get on with this idea, Muslims, Christians, Jews, it doesn't matter who, but proper communication is a powerful tool and I feel it is decidedly lacking in some parts of the world and media.

Remember, you can always agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by 10ite
    I wish for a new age of religious tolerance, where people/leaders/followers/whatever of all religions can gather and discuss the differences between them and their beliefs.

Points will be listened to, questions asked, and knowledge gained. At the end of each gathering people will discuss over coffee what they have heard, and can fundamentally disagree with each other's ideals as long as they can shake hands about it, say "see ya next time", and drive home with a wider knowledge of the world.

There will always be people who cannot get on with this idea, Muslims, Christians, Jews, it doesn't matter who, but proper communication is a powerful tool and I feel it is decidedly lacking in some parts of the world and media.

i agree with you completely. tell this to a good 3/4ths of the population... and they will shun you for your idealistic view of harmony, for they only way to be their friend is to believe what they do.
    Last edited by gilligan8503; 10-31-2003 at 04:08 PM.
    "A closed mind is much like a closed book...
    both just a block of wood."
    - old chinese proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thumbs up

Thanks Gilligan

At least I'm not the only nutcase then.

I think I'm gonna set this discussion group up where I live, I know I'll probably be the only one there for a bit but I don't care. Once you lose faith in human kindness, you lose faith in everything.

regards

Thanks Gilligan

At least I'm not the only nutcase then.

I think I'm gonna set this discussion group up where I live, I know I'll probably be the only one there for a bit but I don't care. Once you lose faith in human kindness, you lose faith in everything.

regards
    Not to put a damper on your thread hear, but what about Human history gives you the idea that we CAN live together in harmony?
    epaphras_faith

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. (Jim Elliot)

I don't believe I'm going to change the world, nor do I believe that we can all live in harmony. What I'm going to try to do is bring a few people together that totally don't understand each other and each others religion.

I think it's misunderstanding and misinformation that convinces people of different denominations that they can't work together. Some people are very open minded about others' religions, whereas some have to be shown, introduced and taught about other peoples way of life.

Of course there will always be some that will never accept learning about another religion, but I can't do anything about that.

You are right in one respect though, its ironic that the majority of religions preach against killing, yet more people have been killed in the name of religion than for any other reason...

I agree but I heavily doubt it ever happening.
    The search for truth exists on the faulty assumptions that the truth exists, and that you can find it.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Proud Israel supporter -

10: Do you really believe humans are basically good? If so, what leads you to believe this?
    epaphras_faith

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. (Jim Elliot)

Quote Originally Posted by epaphras_faith
    10: Do you really believe humans are basically good? If so, what leads you to believe this?
    10ite:
    people are products of their environment. to make people ultimately good, we must eliminate hunger, disease, religion, all but one race, and give everyone one million dollars, an equal plot of land by the same name (and have the same resources), and alter everyone's last name to "smith" or other. i'm sure i'm missing something, but you get the idea.

work on this first.
    - old chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan8503
    10ite:
    people are products of their environment. to make people ultimately good, we must eliminate hunger, disease, religion, all but one race, and give everyone one million dollars, an equal plot of land by the same name (and have the same resources), and alter everyone's last name to "smith" or other. i'm sure i'm missing something, but you get the idea.

work on this first.
    not just environment, genetics too. Some people will not be good, and even the best will still have problems. that is my contention.
    epaphras_faith

not just environment, genetics too. Some people will not be good, and even the best will still have problems. that is my contention.
    ah, i knew i forgot something. so we must also kill anyone with chemical imbalances.
    - old chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan8503
    ah, i knew i forgot something. so we must also kill anyone with chemical imbalances.
    That would be everyone!
    epaphras_faith

That would be everyone!
    yay, we have solved world peace! destory it!
    - old chinese proverb

You don't believe a person can choose to be anything but what their environment and genes make them?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    You don't believe a person can choose to be anything but what their environment and genes make them?
    I didn't say that. I simply did not want to neglect the influence of genes.

Certainly people can make choices. I guess I equate genetics with Human nature. I suppose one could say that the following affect who someone is:

Genes
    environment
    God

not necessarily in that order.

That is my belief but I thought we were arguing less spiritual and more concrete about what in Human history gives anyone the idea that people actually CAN behave properly. (People as a group rather than specific individuals)
    epaphras_faith

Nope never going to happen as long as religion exists. Religion and god(s) are the most intolerent concepts ever created by Man. Since these things were really created as a means of power and control by using people's needs for easy answers the only way that what you want is if one religion conquers all others. Like Ann Coulter had said after 9/11, "Maybe we should go over there and kill all of their leaders and make them all into Christians..." It is the nature of the beast to want to be the only TRUE PATH and all others are false and must be destroyed.

Also, people are naturally good towards those who are like them. Anyone different is seen as a danger.