Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: Double Standards

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927

    Double Standards

    Can someone explain this to me?

    When Barack Obama makes a comment about Asians being short, it's humor. When Richard Cheney makes a comment about West Virginians, it's bigotry.

    Does this make any sense?
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    Can someone explain this to me?

    When Barack Obama makes a comment about Asians being short, it's humor. When Richard Cheney makes a comment about West Virginians, it's bigotry.

    Does this make any sense?
    The thing is, I hadn't heard about either of these incidents. And besides this thread, I still haven't.

    I did, on the other hand, hear the righties argue that talking to enemies was traitorous appeasement or baddies, then I heard the righties arguing that the Bush administration's deal with North Korea is the mostest awesomest thing ever.

    If we're going to talk about double standards, how about we talk about ones that actually get coverage?
    Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds. Biochemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds that crawl.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the nightmares of right wingers.
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    Can someone explain this to me?

    When Barack Obama makes a comment about Asians being short, it's humor. When Richard Cheney makes a comment about West Virginians, it's bigotry.

    Does this make any sense?
    LINK, please.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    I shouldn't have assumed that this was common knowledge... do you people live sheltered lives or something?
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the nightmares of right wingers.
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    I shouldn't have assumed that this was common knowledge... do you people live sheltered lives or something?
    Translation: I don't have a link because none exists.

    The reason why none exists is because it's a figment of my imagination.

    Where I come from, it was testing time and you failed.

    How does it feel to be a legend in your own mind?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    824

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by isly ilwott View Post
    Each links to the same video with varying comments.
    Uh, he says, "Hawaiian players are good, but (being mostly of Asian descent makes them) generally short[er than most who can dunk]," and it's an uproar? He played with these teams and is describing their style of gameplay in response to a question about dunking. On a scale from one to ten, ten being the most politically incorrect, this rates about a 2.

    What stretches won't you guys make to attack Dems?
    Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds. Biochemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds that crawl.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Translation: I don't have a link because none exists.

    The reason why none exists is because it's a figment of my imagination.

    Where I come from, it was testing time and you failed.

    How does it feel to be a legend in your own mind?
    Well, if you want to be a snob, then how's this?


    src

    src


    PS.

    Translation: I am desperate to win this argument, and will jump to conclusions and lie my @$$ off just to accomplish my goal.
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by electrolyte View Post
    Uh, he says, "Hawaiian players are good, but (being mostly of Asian descent makes them) generally short[er than most who can dunk]," and it's an uproar? He played with these teams and is describing their style of gameplay in response to a question about dunking. On a scale from one to ten, ten being the most politically incorrect, this rates about a 2.

    What stretches won't you guys make to attack Dems?
    1. He didn't say all that, you added it.
    2. I have no trouble at all picturing you getting on here and saying "Ah, the hate-mongering bastard should be burned at the stake for his satanic bigotry, aaaauuuggghhhh!!" If Bush said something like that. I wouldn't add all the translations either.
    3. If one of your friends makes a west virginian joke, you laugh. If a conservative politician makes a comment like that, you accuse him of bigotry. This makes no sense.
    4. Uh, (you're stupid) he says "Hawaiin (midgets) are good, but generally short (little midgets), and it's a (god damn) uproar? He played with these teams (of midgets) and is describing their (weak) style of gameplay in (rude) response to a question about dunking. On a (damned) scale of one to ten, ten being the most politically incorrect, this rates about a (microscopic) 2.

    What stretches won't you (idiotic, crackheaded) guys take to attack dems?
    If I don't have the right to assume that this is what you mean, then what would give you the right to assume that Obama Bin Laden meant that?
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    1. He didn't say all that, you added it.
    2. I have no trouble at all picturing you getting on here and saying "Ah, the hate-mongering bastard should be burned at the stake for his satanic bigotry, aaaauuuggghhhh!!" If Bush said something like that. I wouldn't add all the translations either.
    3. If one of your friends makes a west virginian joke, you laugh. If a conservative politician makes a comment like that, you accuse him of bigotry. This makes no sense.
    Given some of your responses on this forum, I can believe that you have no trouble picturing many many things, but often they have no basis in reality.

    Is it unreasonable to expect more from someone who wields power over you than from someone you just drink beer with (or in your case some tasteless form of lager - I'm just guessing here)?

    Smiley

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    1. He didn't say all that, you added it.
    KIMMEL: Your high school team in Hawaii was won the state championship, which is pretty impressive. Can you dunk a basketball?

    SENATOR OBAMA: You know, there's pretty good basketball in Hawaii but the only thing is since obviously there are a lot of folks from Asian ancestry in Hawaii, generally the teams aren't as tall.
    You're right. He didn't use the word "short" at all. He did, on the other hand, say that they're "good" at basketball. Slanderous! Scandalous! Jeez...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    2. I have no trouble at all picturing you getting on here and saying "Ah, the hate-mongering bastard should be burned at the stake for his satanic bigotry, aaaauuuggghhhh!!" If Bush said something like that. I wouldn't add all the translations either.
    You have no trouble believing a lot of nonsense that most reasonable people reject. When Dumbya makes an incredibly stupid crack about Filipinos in front of the President of the Philippines, I don't call him a hateful bigot; I call him a complete XXXXX. Only when somebody says something hateful and bigoted will I label it as hateful and bigoted.

    As an indicator of just how little you think about what you say: why would I call something like that "satanic"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    3. If one of your friends makes a west virginian joke, you laugh.
    I do? Really? I challenge you to show where I have laughed at a derogatory joke about West Virginians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    If a conservative politician makes a comment like that, you accuse him of bigotry.
    If it's based on bigotry, then I very well might. The fact is that I label comments based on their content, not based on their speaker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    This makes no sense.
    I agree. The fact that you really think that you can just make up actions to attribute to me and expect to be regarded as anything but an utter laughingstock makes no sense whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    If I don't have the right to assume that this is what you mean, then what would give you the right to assume that Obama Bin Laden meant that?
    You're so full of bigotry and hatred that you call him "Obama bin Laden"? You need to have your brain function checked out. Apparently there are some major misfirings in there somewhere.
    If you can show why my insertions do not represent the context, you go right ahead. Here's what I can tell you: I don't consider dunk-less basketball weak. I don't call shorter-than-average people "midgets." Two has a value of two, and making it a "microscopic" two makes no sense. Lastly, if I'm going to call you stupid, I'll come right out and say it... and I'm pretty close.

    For the second time today, one of your rightwing loons has posted an altered version of a post of mine but represented it within an offset quote box as if I had actually said it that way. 'Tis a shame you can't even be honest in your hatemongering.
    Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds. Biochemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds that crawl.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    You also got to think about his comments about people turning to guns and religion to deal with their frustrations. Of course, he was perfectly justified in saying that, wasn't he?
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    1,943
    You're a very slow learner, aren't you?

    Source? (again...)
    "Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
    Isaac Asimov

    "Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived"
    Oscar Wilde

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    You also got to think about his comments about people turning to guns and religion to deal with their frustrations. Of course, he was perfectly justified in saying that, wasn't he?
    This is rightwinger-speak for, "He kicked my XXX, now I'm introducing a red herring and pretending that it supports my point."
    Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds. Biochemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds that crawl.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by electrolyte View Post
    This is rightwinger-speak for, "He kicked my XXX, now I'm introducing a red herring and pretending that it supports my point."
    It's interesting you accuse me of being a snob when you say this. Also, you seem to be attacking me rather than addressing the point.
    Last edited by Ethmi; 07-07-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •