Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Where to retire?.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    824

    Where to retire?.....

    Being recently retired, I am passing the time until my husband retires, spending time at his office, traveling with him on business trips, shopping while he works and spending more time on the internet.

    A continual discussion we have is where to move when he retires in a few years. He leans to Australia, where photgraphs of rare species will be readily available...I prefer somewhere in Europe, say Switzerland where there are few snakes and no alligators.

    If you will, please list places to retire and reasons for each place. I am interested in a diverse list of activities, with a requirement for frequent fine culinary arts.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Posts
    1,423
    Personally I'd avoid Europe like the plague, unless insanely large bills are your thing.
    Australia prefers professional immigrants and you may find restrictions due to your retirement.
    Personally I'm planning on going to India when I retire, Nothing beats a curry.

    The Carribean appeals too, plenty to do, see and taste.

    Not sure if Japan appeals to you though I'd expect high prices if you did go.
    Why pray when you can Google?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,715
    I am heading back to the New Mexico desert and mountains as soon as my son graduates high school (6 years) and will likely stay there - with a lot of trips to MN (where I was born, raised and am raising my son now) and as much travel to other places as I can manage as well.

    I miss the desert every day like an ache in my body. I belong there.
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

    "Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Oz
    Posts
    3,253
    If you retire in Australia, move to a coastal region / small town, they will gladly welcome you there, you will make friends easily and enjoy the lifestyle. It's what Australians do, we call it a "seachange" - you make your money in the big cities, then live it up by the sea in a small town, maybe work part time if you feel like it. It's a good life. You can surf, sell some pies to passers by and generally about $20,000 a year is enough to surf, wear decent clothes and drink as much beer as you want. So if you have a few hundred thousand saved on top of the house/apartment purchase price, you don't have to work.

    Try south of sydney, though its not that hot. Far north queensland, though you get monsoons, they can be fun and the nature there is absolutely beautiful. The western australian coastline is fairly undeveloped, it's good too. Just stay out of the major cities, they aren't built for retirement.
    He or she who supports a State organized in a military way – whether directly or indirectly – participates in sin. Each man takes part in the sin by contributing to the maintenance of the State by paying taxes.

    ~ Gandhi

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    91
    Mexico. Close to home, whole colonies of retired expats that the locals cater to, you'd never know you weren't in suburban LA. Great climate, plenty of nearby exotic locales for hubby, two adults can live comfortably for less than $1,000 per month (including a maid), because Mexico’s housing prices are often 80% less than comparable homes in the US or Canada.Most of the American residential areas are beachfront properties at prices approx 20% of sateside. These communities have U S trained doctors, english language libraries, U S programming on cable tv.... Too, nearly everywhere in the country the Mexican people speak enough english to communicate. If comfort and expense are your main concern, you can't do better.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripskar View Post
    Personally I'd avoid Europe like the plague, unless insanely large bills are your thing.
    Australia prefers professional immigrants and you may find restrictions due to your retirement.
    Personally I'm planning on going to India when I retire, Nothing beats a curry.

    The Carribean appeals too, plenty to do, see and taste.

    Not sure if Japan appeals to you though I'd expect high prices if you did go.
    If it's a just curry you're after go to Birmingham, England. They have an enormous Indian population there (and every single one of them own a curry house ).

    I lived in Bedford, Leicester and Loughborough. They all have decent curry too.

    Smiley

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stratosphere baby Stratosphere!
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by flygirl View Post
    Mexico. Close to home, whole colonies of retired expats that the locals cater to, you'd never know you weren't in suburban LA. Great climate, plenty of nearby exotic locales for hubby, two adults can live comfortably for less than $1,000 per month (including a maid), because Mexico’s housing prices are often 80% less than comparable homes in the US or Canada.Most of the American residential areas are beachfront properties at prices approx 20% of sateside. These communities have U S trained doctors, english language libraries, U S programming on cable tv.... Too, nearly everywhere in the country the Mexican people speak enough english to communicate. If comfort and expense are your main concern, you can't do better.

    If you choose Mexico, you'd better stick to the retirement colonies. I went down there for a couple of months when we got married and went to 'real' Mexico. Let me tell ya, don't go there. No English, horrible (dangerous) food, dangerous water, (some) dangerous people. And not nearly as cheap as you'd think, especially if you're a gringo.
    -Computer $1500.00
    -Monthly internet connection $35.00
    -Monthly electricity bill $245.00
    -Convincing a Socialist that incentive is the mother of motivation,

    Priceless!

  8. #8
    bhbcu64 Guest
    jito,

    I miss the desert every day like an ache in my body. I belong there.

    You can have my place in a heartbeat.

    I'm sick of brown, and I can't wait to return to some place where I can see trees that are green in the spring and summer and an explosion of color in the fall.

    The Finger Lakes of New York would be ideal.

    Most of all, I want to see a year with seasons.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,715
    Quote Originally Posted by bhbcu64 View Post
    jito,

    I miss the desert every day like an ache in my body. I belong there.

    You can have my place in a heartbeat.

    I'm sick of brown, and I can't wait to return to some place where I can see trees that are green in the spring and summer and an explosion of color in the fall.

    The Finger Lakes of New York would be ideal.

    Most of all, I want to see a year with seasons.
    Santa Fe has seasons and plenty of green in the mountains. However, the winters are signifigantly milder. I am sick of six months of snow and freezing my XXX off (live in MN). And I miss the horizon. Oh - I can't wait to get back!
    “But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most? ” ~ Mark Twain

    "Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often" ~ Mae West

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by jitobear View Post
    Santa Fe has seasons and plenty of green in the mountains. However, the winters are signifigantly milder. I am sick of six months of snow and freezing my XXX off (live in MN). And I miss the horizon. Oh - I can't wait to get back!
    Won't you miss the lakes? There's little to compare with a canoe trip around a lakeshore or up and down a gentle river away from man's major constructions. I have visited many retreats like the one Henry Fonda enjoyed on Golden Pond...in places one can hardly imagine would host such pleasant solitude. Common to them all has been the presense of water. A beaver-dam lake, a bayou, a big horseshoe riverbed lake, a mountain stream, a lazily meandering river, intercoastal waterways...life can best be enjoyed from a boat. Give me a boat that can carry two...

    You are right about the long winters. My favorite places are below the Mason-Dixon Line. However, the shorter the winters, the more bugs like it, too. My favorite Louisianna retreat is best enjoyed within the confines of impervious mosquito netting. It is the availability of fine home-cooked cuisine and navigable water that draws me strongly. You should try an evening on a party barge, moving up and down the lake at night just fast enough to keep mosquitos from following, with the grilles cooking the meat of the hour, intoxicants served over shaved ice, friendly conversations and other forms of live entertainment.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stratosphere baby Stratosphere!
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by bhbcu64 View Post
    jito,

    I miss the desert every day like an ache in my body. I belong there.

    You can have my place in a heartbeat.

    I'm sick of brown, and I can't wait to return to some place where I can see trees that are green in the spring and summer and an explosion of color in the fall.

    The Finger Lakes of New York would be ideal.

    Most of all, I want to see a year with seasons.
    Where do you live? I thought there were season in the desert.
    -Computer $1500.00
    -Monthly internet connection $35.00
    -Monthly electricity bill $245.00
    -Convincing a Socialist that incentive is the mother of motivation,

    Priceless!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stratosphere baby Stratosphere!
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by isly ilwott View Post
    Won't you miss the lakes? There's little to compare with a canoe trip around a lakeshore or up and down a gentle river away from man's major constructions. I have visited many retreats like the one Henry Fonda enjoyed on Golden Pond...in places one can hardly imagine would host such pleasant solitude. Common to them all has been the presense of water. A beaver-dam lake, a bayou, a big horseshoe riverbed lake, a mountain stream, a lazily meandering river, intercoastal waterways...life can best be enjoyed from a boat. Give me a boat that can carry two...

    You are right about the long winters. My favorite places are below the Mason-Dixon Line. However, the shorter the winters, the more bugs like it, too. My favorite Louisianna retreat is best enjoyed within the confines of impervious mosquito netting. It is the availability of fine home-cooked cuisine and navigable water that draws me strongly. You should try an evening on a party barge, moving up and down the lake at night just fast enough to keep mosquitoes from following, with the grilles cooking the meat of the hour, intoxicants served over shaved ice, friendly conversations and other forms of live entertainment.
    YOU ARE SO FRIGGIN RIGHT ABOUT THE Bugs!!! I'm so tired of bugs down here. Hell, this year, it was so warm in the winter there were still a few mosquitoes around all winter!!! And another thing, a dirty little secrete, 'Southern Hospitality' is not all its been cracked up to be. Sure, stop and ask them directions and they'll give 'um to ya, smiling. But much of the time that's only so they can be sure the 'damn Yankees' are leaving their town!!! They don't mind you passing through (esp. if you leave some of your money behind) but they don't look kindly on those who want to move into their neck of the woods. (of course this is an over generalization, but you get the point)
    -Computer $1500.00
    -Monthly internet connection $35.00
    -Monthly electricity bill $245.00
    -Convincing a Socialist that incentive is the mother of motivation,

    Priceless!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by CUNxTime View Post
    YOU ARE SO FRIGGIN RIGHT ABOUT THE Bugs!!! I'm so tired of bugs down here. Hell, this year, it was so warm in the winter there were still a few mosquitoes around all winter!!! And another thing, a dirty little secrete, 'Southern Hospitality' is not all its been cracked up to be. Sure, stop and ask them directions and they'll give 'um to ya, smiling. But much of the time that's only so they can be sure the 'damn Yankees' are leaving their town!!! They don't mind you passing through (esp. if you leave some of your money behind) but they don't look kindly on those who want to move into their neck of the woods. (of course this is an over generalization, but you get the point)
    The point I get is that in this case you know not of what you speak. You have an opinion based solely upon your personal experiences and the limited number of places to which you have been invited for a return visit. For some reason I am conjuring up an image of someone that nobody wants to be around for long periods.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stratosphere baby Stratosphere!
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by isly ilwott View Post
    The point I get is that in this case you know not of what you speak. You have an opinion based solely upon your personal experiences and the limited number of places to which you have been invited for a return visit. For some reason I am conjuring up an image of someone that nobody wants to be around for long periods.

    In what respect do I 'know not of what I speak'? Being that I was born below the Mason Dixon line and have lived below it all my life and the fact I was agreeing with the first half of your post... what Is it that I don't know about? Considering I make a living trough customer service and sales, I'd hardly doubt I have trouble getting 'invited back' anywhere. But I have head what they around here say about people like you after you walk out of a room and that what I was pretty much talking about. Being that you couldn't possibly know that our living completely hinges on my customer service abilities I have a feeling that whatever your conjured image is, it is obviously incorrect, both about me and the small portion of the south you've had some expirence with. Especially since I'm in a little better position to know, having 33 years expirence. Now, I don't know why you decided to become such a putz here, considering I was even agreeing with the bug part of your statement, but thats fine either way, because the feeling I get about you is that you are worth about as much as your opinion is==
    Last edited by admin; 03-24-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: offensive
    -Computer $1500.00
    -Monthly internet connection $35.00
    -Monthly electricity bill $245.00
    -Convincing a Socialist that incentive is the mother of motivation,

    Priceless!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by isly ilwott View Post
    The point I get is that in this case you know not of what you speak.
    Do you regularly practice treating other users with such contempt? May I ask how you think that is beneficial to your experience here as well as creating respect among others towards your handle?

    You have an opinion based solely upon your personal experiences and the limited number of places to which you have been invited for a return visit.
    Fair enough, but how else do people make good opinions about such places? The only other examples are experiences of others or spending too much time watching the Travel Channel. Neither of which seem to be superior to personal experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •