Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Comments on the Challenger's Corner

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166

    Comments on the Challenger's Corner

    Is this forum to determine who's chicken and who's not? A poster could drive someone crazy repeating challenges.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  2. #2
    Archangel Guest
    As long as the person being challenged can determine the validity or interest he has in it, and refuse to participate, then I have no problem with this and think it's a good idea.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    As long as the person being challenged can determine the validity or interest he has in it, and refuse to participate, then I have no problem with this and think it's a good idea.
    Thats why in the description it says "It’s up to them if they want to accept."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking View Post
    Is this forum to determine who's chicken and who's not? A poster could drive someone crazy repeating challenges.
    Not any more so then having a formal challenge. The one key problem I see here is that the formal debate has some rules to more or less keep the initial argument honest and valid (see Marc's evolution = atheism). In the informal, I don't see how one is prevented from making asinine, invalid and crazy assertions and then badgering their opponent for their alleged cowardice by not accepting it.
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166
    Quote Originally Posted by obvious_child View Post
    Not any more so then having a formal challenge.
    Challenges in the Formal Debates forums are normally not directed at a single poster. That would be rude...akin to slapping someone in public with a glove and challenging them to a duel.

    It also can be seen as a sign of trying to limit the debate to someone you believe you can beat.


    The one key problem I see here is that the formal debate has some rules to more or less keep the initial argument honest and valid (see Marc's evolution = atheism).
    What? You see a problem with rules?


    In the informal, I don't see how one is prevented from making asinine, invalid and crazy assertions and then badgering their opponent for their alleged cowardice by not accepting it.
    Did you mean to say "...for their aledged cowardice in not accepting it?

    You should practice using exact words.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,854
    If one seeks to criticise the grammar of another, then it is ill advised to err in the spelling department whilst so doing. Allegedly.
    " ... It's not as though he proved anything, he only refuted my evidence. ..." Archangel 04.01.09

    "Obama is not a brown-skinned anti-war socialist who gives away free healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus."

    “Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    If one seeks to criticise the grammar of another, then it is ill advised to err in the spelling department whilst so doing. Allegedly.
    You're right. I miss that word a lot. Spank my palm!

    I was going after use of the wrong word...and complete reversal of meaning caused by the use of "by". Misspelling a word is less dangerous than using the wrong one.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    I have a few questions: Are there any circumstances or prerequisites you need to post on here?


    How would I start a debate?


    How would I find an opponent?
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    I have a few questions: Are there any circumstances or prerequisites you need to post on here?


    How would I start a debate?


    How would I find an opponent?
    It's a one on one forum so challenge the member you wish to debate, define the parameters of the debate and the subject of it, and have at it. No other members will interfere with your debate, and if they do, you can get their post deleted so it remains fair and only between the two participants. The person being challenged must accept your challenge though and is free to refuse to participate.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    It's a one on one forum so challenge the member you wish to debate, define the parameters of the debate and the subject of it, and have at it. No other members will interfere with your debate, and if they do, you can get their post deleted so it remains fair and only between the two participants. The person being challenged must accept your challenge though and is free to refuse to participate.

    Thanks, that helps, but to challenge them, would I private message them, or post on this forum, or post on the other forum, or what?
    My imaginary friend left me. He said his other friends didn't believe in me.

    Spending our way out of the recession is like drinking our way out of alcoholism.

    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethmi View Post
    Thanks, that helps, but to challenge them, would I private message them, or post on this forum, or post on the other forum, or what?
    You could do it by PM, or by starting the thread with the subject on the challengers corner and publicly challenge them. Since they're not obligated to accept your challenge, maybe PMing them is the best approach. But that's up to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •