Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: One on One forum?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,658

    One on One forum?

    This is just an idea.

    what about having a forum where you can have a one on one informal debate with someone? This would make it so you are not interrupted or derailed by other posters assuming you want this kind of format. If one feels it is time for further input you can ask the admin to move the thread to a different forum.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    313

    Challengerís Corner

    I like the idea and I think I will call it the Challengerís Corner.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,658
    How can you limit it to two people? Just report if someone else posts?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    How can you limit it to two people? Just report if someone else posts?
    Hopefully that will work. There may be times when both parties are ok with someone butting in. We'll test it and see how it works. I really like the idea though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,658
    Oh, its a great idea for those that really don't want certain posters posting.

    We will see how it goes! I already started one discussion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockbridge, Georgia
    Posts
    7,166
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I like the idea and I think I will call it the Challengerís Corner.
    You're such a pushover!



    I see this one as being useful. However, I believe it should be in the Formal Debates Group as it does operate with a similar rule that we don't butt in though we'd like to. Maybe you could also offer a Ringside to the Challenger's Corner..open for comments on the limited discussion allowed in the Challenger's Corner.
    Last edited by jim's trucking; 02-22-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    1,943
    I like this idea. I'd say just have in the description, or somewhere halfways conspicuous that people not involved will have their posts deleted without notice if they get involved, and have the opening post state who is to be involved (Steeeeve did a good job in his opening post I thought) to lay the groundwork
    "Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
    Isaac Asimov

    "Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived"
    Oscar Wilde

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    313

    liars corner

    I'm thinking of making liars corner a 1 on 1 forum also.
    I think it might make it easier to nail down the accusation.
    what do you guys think.

  9. #9
    Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I'm thinking of making liars corner a 1 on 1 forum also.
    I think it might make it easier to nail down the accusation.
    what do you guys think.
    It only seems right since the challenges are between one member and another. That would prevent what happened today with TQ breaking in on my responses to lyte and again derailing that thread with irrelevant minutia.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    It only seems right since the challenges are between one member and another. That would prevent what happened today with TQ breaking in on my responses to lyte and again derailing that thread with irrelevant minutia.
    OK, seriously, did the same person make the above post and this one?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T.Q
    You have another thread to respond to


    Yeah, well you still have this one to answer to.
    So I butted in and derailed the thread, but now I'm running away from questions that weren't asked of me?

    Which is it?

    Oh, and the "irrelevant minutia" was what was actually said by the person you disagreed with. The fact that you would call what someone actually said, instead of what you were arguing against "irrelevant minutia" says a lot about you.

    OK, I'm done here. Sorry folks, won't interrupt again.
    "Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
    Isaac Asimov

    "Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived"
    Oscar Wilde

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,525
    Not a bad idea. After a few of these, those who have been complaining about being outnumbered should realize that their horrible arguments, poor logic and bad debate skills are actually the problem rather then numbers. People generally jump into arguments to criticize and correct really bad arguments. This happens in forums across various subjects. Complaining about being outnumbered is just a distraction away from the poor skills and poor logic of the one making the complaint. I made a bad argument on EvC and a bunch of people I normally agree with jumped in against me. But I knew from the start that my argument was seriously flawed and that was the issue, not the number of people disagreeing with me.
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,658
    Can we get one #@$* thread where Archangel doesn't insult another poster? Seriously, why does everything turn into a personal attack duel when you are around Archangel?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    Can we get one #@$* thread where Archangel doesn't insult another poster? Seriously, why does everything turn into a personal attack duel when you are around Archangel?
    Isn't not obvious Steeeve? T.Q is just downright sick and tired of AA's behavior. I don't blame him. But T.Q needs to realize pushing AA on his bad arguments when AA has nothing is counterproductive. He just needs to let it go and understand that AA's behavior is a manifestion of his poor skills.
    "You are, of course, free to make your own calls on how much rationality you want to impose upon yourself." - Kronus

  14. #14
    Archangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    Can we get one #@$* thread where Archangel doesn't insult another poster? Seriously, why does everything turn into a personal attack duel when you are around Archangel?
    WOW, you're so hard up to find an issue to attack me over that you must go back to a post I wrote 3 days ago in response to admin? You're really stretching steeeve. And while we're at it, would you care to point out what was so vile about my post? And truly steeeve, have you not noticed how others attack me at every opportunity around here? Kinda like you're doing now?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    WOW, you're so hard up to find an issue to attack me over that you must go back to a post I wrote 3 days ago in response to admin? You're really stretching steeeve. And while we're at it, would you care to point out what was so vile about my post? And truly steeeve, have you not noticed how others attack me at every opportunity around here? Kinda like you're doing now?
    The only consistent thing in every thread you post in is a childish fight between you and another poster. Now either every poster on this forum is evil and you are the only one correct or your posting style promotes a hostile environment. From what I have seen it isn't all the other posters. There maybe other posters out there that are just as bad as you but this isn't a reason to act like that. I'm actually embarrassed that you and I claim to hold some of the same morals because you certainly put a bad name on them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •