Thread: Do i become a knight of the information age?

Do i become a knight of the information age?

Obscure title perhaps, but i refer of course to those bohemian speed demons, bicycle couriers.

Last summer i graduated in geology, worked in the mines over the summer for experience, an then landed this job in November. I currently work in an office job entering data, I have my own office, flexible working hours, nice conditions and easy atmosphere. Its not what i graduated in, but at least its easy money till I go to Australia or Canada later in the year.

The problem is, I hate it. Sure, by the numbers it seems handy, but I feel I am learning nothing, and wasting my youth sitting on chair watching my XXX grow. The lure of being an unfettered bicycle courier is stronger than ever.

I am an experienced cyclist, and quite capable. The conundrum is that i will give up this warm, indoors job, for a minimum wage, all weathers job, which I hold in high regard, but may end up hating the reality of.

I need advice?! Anyone have any experience as a courier, is it as bohemian and fun as i think? should i stay where I am and watch my soul decay? or should i stop dreaming and grow up?
    There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucusaur View Post
    Obscure title perhaps, but i refer of course to those bohemian speed demons, bicycle couriers.

Last summer i graduated in geology, worked in the mines over the summer for experience, an then landed this job in November. I currently work in an office job entering data, I have my own office, flexible working hours, nice conditions and easy atmosphere. Its not what i graduated in, but at least its easy money till I go to Australia or Canada later in the year.

The problem is, I hate it. Sure, by the numbers it seems handy, but I feel I am learning nothing, and wasting my youth sitting on chair watching my XXX grow. The lure of being an unfettered bicycle courier is stronger than ever.

I am an experienced cyclist, and quite capable. The conundrum is that i will give up this warm, indoors job, for a minimum wage, all weathers job, which I hold in high regard, but may end up hating the reality of.

I need advice?! Anyone have any experience as a courier, is it as bohemian and fun as i think? should i stay where I am and watch my soul decay? or should i stop dreaming and grow up?
    You'll not make it to the top of the ladder in the courier world until you get tatoos all over at least one calf.

Despite hating having your own office , hating flex hours and hating a job that carries little stress (after all, you don't make decisions and are not responsible for decisions made by others), what other problems do you have.

Just remember, cycle couriers don't have offices, don't have flex hours and are responsible for the package they deliver. They don't get to sit around surfin' the net looking for another job either.

What is waiting for you in Australia and Canada?
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ertainly, but the job seems to have a soul, and thats all that matters.

mining and exploration await me in canada or australia. Big money to be made.
    There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

Against my own nature, since you'll be moving on soon enough, I'd recommend the bike job.

Get it out of your system while you're young.

Experience the 'what coulda been' now while you're young and dumb mistakes won't cost you much.
    It should hopefully harden you enough for your future and make it more easy for you to stick to a loathed job for more practical reasons.

Youth is really wasted on the young...
    -God couldn't be everywhere, that's why we have America.
    -Use the Force...because prayer doesn't work.
    -If I mock you on a forum board...and you're too stupid to know...are you really being mocked?
    -Joseph of Nazareth said: "Healthy White baby, 5 year wait? What else you got?" to which the adoption agency replied "A Norse kid born with his heart on the outside. Hey, Zeus come 'er!"
    -"The only way to win is not to pray." - WOPR

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Against my own nature, since you'll be moving on soon enough, I'd recommend the bike job.

Get it out of your system while you're young.

Experience the 'what coulda been' now while you're young and dumb mistakes won't cost you much.
    It should hopefully harden you enough for your future and make it more easy for you to stick to a loathed job for more practical reasons.

Quoted for truth. Exactly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Youth is the safety net for wisdom to be gained through mistakes. Wisdom is the safety net of the older whom should know better than to make such mistakes. (sorry that's a tad redundant for emphasis)

Unfortunately, it is rare that the two intertwine.

On topic, I recently decided to go to school for aeronautical/astronautical engineering over my existing career as a computer repairman/musician/part-time hair stylist because I felt that I had been given the gifts of logic, reasoning, and ability to understand higher-level math for a reason. I feel that if I do not advance the human race's knowledge of air and spacecraft then my life will have been wasted and my gifts squandered.

Basically, if you feel the call for something, go do it. Never feel that you are living below yourself or are wasting your time. If you think you should do something then do it; really the question is not why should you, but why not?
    "If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

So what did he do?
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.