Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new forum....

A new forum....

We have almost enough forums on this site. May I suggest just one more?

It seems that some members desire some moderation, some don't. Consider a forum that stands somewhere between the come-one-come-all-we-don't care-what-you-say-as-long-as-you're-you're-nice-about-it forums where threads are not policed regarding hijacking and off topic comments...and the formal debate forum where only two participants can post.

Such a new forum would be open to all posters who care to stay on topic throughout each thread. It seems there would be substantially less effort necessary to moderate that than would be for moderation of the entire site.

I personally don't like to throttled by moderators who have their own agenda but it does maintain a higher decorum when some rules are adhered to via the poster's courtesy or a moderator's hammer.

Formal Open Debate might be a good name for it. Stick it in the group where Debate Challenges, Debate Tournaments and the like reside. Maybe even add the Thread Opinion Polls forum that was suggested earlier and have it apply only to those threads in the Formal Open Debate forum.

This would also partially please those who earlier asked for fewer categories of topics.

I'm betting a lot of threads would be started there by those who want to remain on track throughout a thread. Subdivisions by topic (more categories of topics or subforums) might become necessary if it got really crowded, but I have the utmost confidence in admin to jump that hurdle if it comes up.
    What you say can and will be used against you.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jim's trucking View Post
    Consider a forum that stands somewhere between the come-one-come-all-we-don't care-what-you-say-as-long-as-you're-you're-nice-about-it forums where threads are not policed regarding hijacking and off topic comments...and the formal debate forum where only two participants can post.
    This "somewhere between" isn't clear to me. Are you envisioning a new forum where anyone may post, as long as it's merely on-topic? Would a poster whose contribution was along the lines of, "I agree with the the poster above me " be in jeopardy of falling to the moderator's axe?

Or are you seeing a more structured forum, one where the thread starter posits a resolution, and anyone is free to argue the affirmative or negative as long as there is substantive content to the post.

I believe the former would easily lead to acrimony. The latter may be workable--and even interesting--if it is stipulated that a resolution must be part of an opening thread.

Formal Open Debate might be a good name for it. Stick it in the group where Debate Challenges, Debate Tournaments and the like reside. Maybe even add the Thread Opinion Polls forum that was suggested earlier and have it apply only to those threads in the Formal Open Debate forum.
    I'm not familiar with the Opinion Polls suggestion you're referencing, but each new topic which began with a legitimate resolution and worked itself to a reasonable conclusion could have a poll attached to it at a later date for readers to determine whether the resolution was affirmed or not. This would seem to preclude that each topic has a specific time line for contributing, and then becomes locked.

I'm betting a lot of threads would be started there by those who want to remain on track throughout a thread. Subdivisions by topic (more categories of topics or subforums) might become necessary if it got really crowded, but I have the utmost confidence in admin to jump that hurdle if it comes up.
    I would hope any new forum that gets added does not become further fractured and subdivided and subforumed into a confusing array. I'm no fan of subforums. If one were to consider this new idea I hope all topics, from religion to hair dying, would originate from the new forum.

I unfavorably received your new suggestion initially, but now after a little pondering I think it has some merit. It could add a little excitement and flair to 4Forums.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

Quote Originally Posted by billsco View Post
    This "somewhere between" isn't clear to me. Are you envisioning a new forum where anyone may post, as long as it's merely on-topic? Would a poster whose contribution was along the lines of, "I agree with the the poster above me " be in jeopardy of falling to the moderator's axe?

Or are you seeing a more structured forum, one where the thread starter posits a resolution, and anyone is free to argue the affirmative or negative as long as there is substantive content to the post.

I believe the former would easily lead to acrimony. The latter may be workable--and even interesting--if it is stipulated that a resolution must be part of an opening thread.
    I'd prefer the latter, but on a site where many sincere, eager young people may want to participate, I think it would be disheartening to them to delete their posts simply because they didn't say enough. As long as the posts are on topic and do not tend to hijack the thread into another line of thought, they should remain. If a particular member becomes prolific with one liners that mean relatively nothing, then their posts should be removed and a PM sent from admin telling them why.

I'm not familiar with the Opinion Polls suggestion you're referencing, but each new topic which began with a legitimate resolution and worked itself to a reasonable conclusion could have a poll attached to it at a later date for readers to determine whether the resolution was affirmed or not. This would seem to preclude that each topic has a specific time line for contributing, and then becomes locked.
    Someone had suggested a polls forum wherein we could vote on each thread. I think it's still up. Yes. Right under this one...started by Phantos.

I would hope any new forum that gets added does not become further fractured and subdivided and subforumed into a confusing array. I'm no fan of subforums. If one were to consider this new idea I hope all topics, from religion to hair dying, would originate from the new forum.
    I'd prefer that too. It would likely take years for it to become so unwieldy as to require subdivision.
    I unfavorably received your new suggestion initially, but now after a little pondering I think it has some merit. It could add a little excitement and flair to 4Forums.
    I don't know that I can stand much more excitement. I'm interested in preserving the status quo on the furums we have now and providing a single new forum were hijacking will not be tolerated.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

added

I have added this forum. Let me know of any suggestions for the description.
    I also added a forum for debates with polls required.
    Thanks for the suggestions and feel free to suggest improvements to these.

What is the point of this forum? Is it to be a better form of debate from say a debate like the ones I have here: http://www.4forums.com/political/sho...=10575&page=10

Notice all that happens is people insult each other but do it so it barely is acceptable under the forum rules here.

In any event, if this is the point then a moderator will no doubt have to be rough and pretty much be willing to delete anything argument that looks like "which demonstrates FURTHER that you are thoroughly clueless."

I'm all for this but, to be honest, certain posters here may find moderation like that biased as they will be the only ones getting deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeeve View Post
    What is the point of this forum? Is it to be a better form of debate from say a debate like the ones I have here: http://www.4forums.com/political/sho...=10575&page=10

Notice all that happens is people insult each other but do it so it barely is acceptable under the forum rules here.

In any event, if this is the point then a moderator will no doubt have to be rough and pretty much be willing to delete anything argument that looks like "which demonstrates FURTHER that you are thoroughly clueless."

I'm all for this but, to be honest, certain posters here may find moderation like that biased as they will be the only ones getting deleted.
    If they stay on topic, they won't be deleted.

Shazaam!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I have added this forum. Let me know of any suggestions for the description.
    I also added a forum for debates with polls required.
    Thanks for the suggestions and feel free to suggest improvements to these.
    That was fast!

Well the new forum is off to a fine start I believe. Looks like there's a healthy interest in the first topic to be debated.

Something's not quite right yet though. In adding a poll to JT's thread, nine people have already weighed in on whether the resolution was upheld or not. How can that be? The debate has just begun.

Admin, is there a way to add a poll onto the thread after the debate is finished?

The Debate with Poll forum may be redundant and not necessary if it's possible to wed the actual debate thread with a poll after a period of time.

I'm leaning toward making the polls open as to who voted how. Anonymously voting one way or another seems wrong. 4Forum members should be a bit more accountable I believe.
    - Which is worse--ignorance or apathy? For my part, I don't know and I don't care. -

Well the new forum is off to a fine start I believe. Looks like there's a healthy interest in the first topic to be debated.

Something's not quite right yet though. In adding a poll to JT's thread, nine people have already weighed in on whether the resolution was upheld or not. How can that be? The debate has just begun.

Admin, is there a way to add a poll onto the thread after the debate is finished?

The Debate with Poll forum may be redundant and not necessary if it's possible to wed the actual debate thread with a poll after a period of time.

I'm leaning toward making the polls open as to who voted how. Anonymously voting one way or another seems wrong. 4Forum members should be a bit more accountable I believe.
    I think that the original thread poster can add a poll later.
    I really don't know what the poll options are.

I think that the original thread poster can add a poll later.
    I really don't know what the poll options are.

I put the poll up as a question regarding agreement with the claim, not which side won. I am interested in knowing how many agree or disagree with the claim, whether or not they post comments and whether or not they think one side won. If that is confusing, I will not do it in the future.

It appears to me that in and open debate, it's extremely difficult to pick a single winner.

I made it anonymous so members would not be reluctant to vote for fear of being exposed. Each member can still vote only once.

After giving it some time, here are my thoughts on the new Open Debate forums.

1. Polls. It appears the thread originator is the only one who can add a poll. This function is not in the moderator's toolbag. It's not reasonable to assume each thread starter will post a perfectly neutrally-worded poll to his argument. Therefore, this element of the new forums is untenable. Instead, we should further utilize Ringside by having the moderator start a poll there for each new thread which specifically addresses whether the resolution was carried.

2.The Debate With Polls forum. This should be eliminated ASAP.

3. Location. I would prefer to have the one surviving Open Debate Forum moved beneath the Debate Tournaments out of deference to the official debate room.

4. Locking threads. I arbitrarily set a one month period to contribute to the argument. JT thought that may be too long. IMO, each Open Debate thread should experience closure. Any thoughts?

After giving it some time, here are my thoughts on the new Open Debate forums.

1. Polls. It appears the thread originator is the only one who can add a poll. This function is not in the moderator's toolbag. It's not reasonable to assume each thread starter will post a perfectly neutrally-worded poll to his argument. Therefore, this element of the new forums is untenable. Instead, we should further utilize Ringside by having the moderator start a poll there for each new thread which specifically addresses whether the resolution was carried.
    That's fine with me but not required. My main purpose in suggesting a formal open debate forum was to preclude digressions and hijacking by requiring that all posts remain on topic. It is not so important that a winning side is proclaimed.

If a poster wants to include a poll with the thread, that's fine too. The pole does not have to relate to an outcome of the debate.

2.The Debate With Polls forum. This should be eliminated ASAP.
    I see no need for it either...especially since polls are not prohibited in the formal open debate forum.

3. Location. I would prefer to have the one surviving Open Debate Forum moved beneath the Debate Tournaments out of deference to the official debate room.
    Put it on the bottom for all I care. Just keep it.

4. Locking threads. I arbitrarily set a one month period to contribute to the argument. JT thought that may be too long. IMO, each Open Debate thread should experience closure. Any thoughts?
    I miscommunicated if you think I wanted them closed earlier. I don't particularly want them closed at all. We don't close other threads. The only reason we limit debate (time) is to consider a winner of the debate. This must occur in formal one-on-one debate. I intended for the formal open debate forum to be unrestricted except that all posts must be relevant to the argument...no hijacking, no one-liner, off-topic political jabs, no digression to evo/creationist or gay/homophobic skermishes. We have open threads that are several years old and haven't been added to in years. Newcomers might welcome the chance (as often they do) to comment on threads that were started years ago. Why deny them that pleasure in the formal open debate forum. Why close the threads at all...there is no need to vote on who won.

Shazaayum!

Put it on the bottom for all I care. Just keep it.

That was fast!

Its true

I Agree and taking everything into consideration...most would agree as well