Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading at the moment?

What are you reading at the moment?

Seeing as there's a bit of discussion going on about books, and seeing as (I guess) most people on here seem to be the bookish type, I thought I'd ask.

I'm currently loving, on my dad's recommendation, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig.

It's a strange book and I'm not sure what it's really about yet. There's a collection of letters between the author and publisher at the back, that give the impression it was written after the author recovered from a severe, long-term episode of schizophrenia, and that is the direction the book seems to be taking. It takes the form of a man going on a long road trip with his son, while simultaneously he begins to have flashbacks about his former, memory-repressed life as a 'mad genius' type. I'm fascinated to see where it's gonna go. Anyone else read it?

I'm also wading through Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale for the second time, this time checking out the bibliography and doing some 'further reading' as it were. It boggles my mind to think there are still people out there who deny this science based on absolutely no self-education, no personal research etc. The amount of accumulated data on the subject is overwhelming.

As well as these, I just finished the third of Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series (I'm a sucker for imaginative fiction). It's meant for kids really but I like it because (apart from the fact you can zoom through it in no time!) his invented world is really unusual and while there are elements obviously based on real myths, it doesn't follow the usual patterns of mainstream fantasy.

I started a 'favourite books' thread a while back which didn't really go anywhere, but I'd be genuinely interested to know what people are reading now!
    "It is impossible to understand reality without the use of mathematics"

- Richard Feynman

I'm working on writting a couple of books actually.

'Christianity for Fun and Profit'

and

'How to Make it Look Like Suicide: 12 Must Know Facts on Getting Away With Murder'
    -God couldn't be everywhere, that's why we have America.
    -Use the Force...because prayer doesn't work.
    -If I mock you on a forum board...and you're too stupid to know...are you really being mocked?
    -Joseph of Nazareth said: "Healthy White baby, 5 year wait? What else you got?" to which the adoption agency replied "A Norse kid born with his heart on the outside. Hey, Zeus come 'er!"
    -"The only way to win is not to pray." - WOPR

Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Reading several right now.

D-DAY JUNE 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose

The Dhammapada translated by Eknath Easwaran

This side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I typically have anywhere from 2-6 books laying around the house, and take one to work every night. The local Borders knows me by name, the local librarian cries when I walk in, and the Paperback Trader owes me enough in store credits to pay off a small mortgage.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

The Iliad by Homer, Martin Hammond translation
    Fulgrim by Graham McNeill
    Why pray when you can Google?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripskar View Post
    The Iliad by Homer, Martin Hammond translation
    Fulgrim by Graham McNeill

LOL.
    I'm reading the Iron Snakes book by Dan Abnet.

Plan on reading the Horus Heresy books after that along with Fulgrim.
    -If I mock you on a forum board...and you're too stupid to know...are you really being mocked?
    -Joseph of Nazareth said: "Healthy White baby, 5 year wait? What else you got?" to which the adoption agency replied "A Norse kid born with his heart on the outside. Hey, Zeus come 'er!"

I'm in the middle of 2 books and in dire need to begin another...
    Well by Matthew McIntosh
    Don Quixote by Don Miguel de Cervantas

Those are the only ones I'm actually in the middle of.
    Like an echo down a canyon, never coming back as clear; Lately I just judge the distance not the words I hear.
    -Bob Seger

I'm still alive, must have been a miracle!
    -Meat Loaf

Under your bed, waiting for you to fall asleep.
    Finished the 3 previous books I posted.

Now reading:

1. Citizen Soldiers by Stephen E. Ambrose

2. Flyboys by James Bradley
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)". -Eddie Izzard

Long is the way
    And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light. -Milton

I am reading about Christianity on the Internet.
    God Given Talent CD @ my site

I have been reading the latest Elvis Presley bios.
    God Given Talent CD @ my site

First off Im reading 'The Hot Zone' by Robert Preston
    i find learning about a deadly virus amazing

secondly to Zardoz, when your done writing it, publish it i want to buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    'How to Make it Look Like Suicide: 12 Must Know Facts on Getting Away With Murder'

I'm reading 11 minutes by Paulo Coehlo. Yeah, a bit outdated but hey, got to to only read just now.

I just finished Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy.

Not happy. Wasn't fun, and the guy was in full preacher mode - everyone that's not american is incompetent, drunk, poor,... and the Americans have solutions to all. Hope the rest of the series will be better.

The World Is Flat

Something about prophets without honor in their own countries?!

I just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which is fully awesome. I'm most of the way through Nation, Terry Pratchett's new book, which is equally fantastic.

I'll probably re-re-re-re-re-read Shamanspace by Steve Aylett next, as it is, also, amazing.

Books are goood.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    I just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which is fully awesome. I'm most of the way through Nation, Terry Pratchett's new book, which is equally fantastic.

I'll probably re-re-re-re-re-read Shamanspace by Steve Aylett next, as it is, also, amazing.

Books are goood.

Odd...I've been recomending the duo's book; 'Good Omens' a lot lately.